VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:24:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro Football Focus: Ranking all 130 D1 offensive lines  (Read 1726 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2020, 01:46:10 EST »

UT at 113th.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations

113. Tennessee Volunteers
Highest-graded player: OG Trey Smith – 77.7 (14th)
Without Smith, the Volunteers' overall grades plummet and look just downright awful on the offensive line. Collectively, they ranked 124th in pass-blocking grade and 76th in run-blocking grade, all but undoing a great season by Smith, who finished as the 14th highest-graded guard in the country.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 02:24:08 EST »

UT at 113th.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations

113. Tennessee Volunteers
Highest-graded player: OG Trey Smith – 77.7 (14th)
Without Smith, the Volunteers' overall grades plummet and look just downright awful on the offensive line. Collectively, they ranked 124th in pass-blocking grade and 76th in run-blocking grade, all but undoing a great season by Smith, who finished as the 14th highest-graded guard in the country.

Love Trey, but idk bout the rating. I thought the whole unit did better. Visibly better to my less than expert eye, but I know the qbs didn't get clobbered like recent years. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:29:50 EST »

Speaking of Smith, what's everyone's feeling on his decision?  Orange colored glasses aside, I think he would benefit from coming back.  Having only gone through two full contact practices all year (which is amazing in and of itself), it seems to me he could improve his stock by showing NFL scouts another year of tape and proving his new treatment plan has things under control.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 03:19:28 EST »

Speaking of Smith, what's everyone's feeling on his decision?  Orange colored glasses aside, I think he would benefit from coming back.  Having only gone through two full contact practices all year (which is amazing in and of itself), it seems to me he could improve his stock by showing NFL scouts another year of tape and proving his new treatment plan has things under control.
According to AP on the VQ chat last night he was hearing that he possibly could be returning
I suspect that it will depend on NFL teams willingness to accept the medical regimen
I believe he is ready to move to the NFL (watched him in detail a lot this year)
If he stays, GREAT!  If he moves to the NFL I wish him nothing but greatness moving on. 
He has represented the University well and by all accounts is a good person (off the field)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 04:48:46 EST »

I don’t know what kind of algorithm they used, but that doesn’t jive with what I saw this year. Our line, while not (consistently) dominant, looked greatly improved to me, and at times great. I think it was our best OL in several years- maybe our best since those James/Richardson anchored lines.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 05:16:59 EST »

The OL improved but it took some games to do so....It took Trey to about mid season to get him playing to his ability....you had 2 true freshman and Kennedy who had missed a season due to ACL surgery.

Our total offense finished 100th in the country out of 130 teams....88th in rushing offense.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:31:55 EST »

The OL underperformed, and the DL overperformed. That's why I'd hate to see Rocker ($500k) leave, but would be good with Friend's ($800k) departure.

We're really overpaying for poor play.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 02:02:17 EST »

Would love to see the OL stats for just the second half the season.   Would be much improved, I'm sure. 

OL to me was competent this year, still need work to be good, but have the talent to do it.  Looking forward to seeing them play next year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: