VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 07:21:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dantonio steps down at Michigan State.......  (Read 1434 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2020, 09:16:31 EST »

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/mark-dantonio-michigan-state-spartans-football-steps-down-2020/?fbclid=IwAR2AdqzoYCIz74YqPlxTNkY1i82Q8yBJ6b6B7QMMcb2-lbshG4YDl3qTLic
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 09:23:07 EST »

He had the same problem in the BIG that teams have in SEC. He couldn't beat Urban consistenly and we can't beat Saban consistently. Curious...who here thinks Saban's run in the SEC is over and Orgeron is going to win SEC titles year after year. Not me. His one year is over.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 01:31:09 EST »

He had the same problem in the BIG that teams have in SEC. He couldn't beat Urban consistenly and we can't beat Saban consistently. Curious...who here thinks Saban's run in the SEC is over and Orgeron is going to win SEC titles year after year. Not me. His one year is over.

Yes, but my crimson friend, don't assume Saban will automatically be back on top.  I actually agree that Ogeron probably will not dominate like Saban, and had the huge advantage of Burrow who is probably a once in a generation QB, but that doesn't mean LSU can't keep beating bammer, I think they will start beating them regularly now (and also lose to UF or Auburn or Tamu or hopefully us).

Also, Fisher may or may not make Tamu competitive and yes I think the jury is definitely out on that and I am not impressed with him yet, but he is an NC winning coach.  Georgia should have beaten bammer back to back but they choked both games away.  Granted the bloom is off them a bit too after this season, but Smart has showed he can compete with Saban.   Florida is improviing, Auburn beat bammer last year, and even MSU and Ole MIss have likely seen a huge plus up in coaching, and OH YEAH!  We are improving also. I am far from saying we will beat bammer this season (more likely than it has been in years though), but two, three years down the road, who knows? I am very confident that at the least we won't just be a box bammer checks every year any more.

Bottom line, the SEC is much tougher than it used to be, and Saban has slipped a step.   I have been wrong about the SOB before, but I don't think he is going to be as dominant from here on, and yes that includes Ogeron beating him a few more times.

So cry some crimson tears!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 03:35:01 EST »

I read this was most likely a mutual agreed retirement.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2020/02/04/blackwell-lawyers-detail-allegations-msus-mark-dantonio-committed-multiple-ncaa-violations/4655797002/
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 04:19:08 EST »

Yes, but my crimson friend, don't assume Saban will automatically be back on top.  I actually agree that Ogeron probably will not dominate like Saban, and had the huge advantage of Burrow who is probably a once in a generation QB, but that doesn't mean LSU can't keep beating bammer, I think they will start beating them regularly now (and also lose to UF or Auburn or Tamu or hopefully us).

Also, Fisher may or may not make Tamu competitive and yes I think the jury is definitely out on that and I am not impressed with him yet, but he is an NC winning coach.  Georgia should have beaten bammer back to back but they choked both games away.  Granted the bloom is off them a bit too after this season, but Smart has showed he can compete with Saban.   Florida is improviing, Auburn beat bammer last year, and even MSU and Ole MIss have likely seen a huge plus up in coaching, and OH YEAH!  We are improving also. I am far from saying we will beat bammer this season (more likely than it has been in years though), but two, three years down the road, who knows? I am very confident that at the least we won't just be a box bammer checks every year any more.

Bottom line, the SEC is much tougher than it used to be, and Saban has slipped a step.   I have been wrong about the SOB before, but I don't think he is going to be as dominant from here on, and yes that includes Ogeron beating him a few more times.

I can't stand Saban. Let's make that clear. But are you going to bet against him not winning more titles before he hangs them up? The SEC needed to get a lot tougher. It is just better when there are a lot of good teams and not just average teams.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 12:12:36 EST »

You messed up the reply.  I am not going to say Saban will never win another MNC, but I am saying there is a better chance of that now than two years ago.  What actually happens, who knows, we will just have to wait and see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: