VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 01:17:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NSD  (Read 5207 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
NSD
« on: February 05, 2020, 04:06:05 EST »

I totally forgot today was NSD... The early signing sure does change things from how they used to be.

Talking heads seem to think we might finish in the 10-15 range.   
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 06:50:12 EST »

Beckwith signed this morning.....He had a good offer list.
10EC
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 06:56:31 EST »

Beckwith signed this morning.....He had a good offer list.

Evans is interesting.... Volnation thread is hysterical... 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 07:44:00 EST »

Just now added 4* WR Malachi Wiseman, former FSU commit who Kiffin wanted pretty bad...  Not a bad WR haul this class!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 07:45:18 EST »

Evans is interesting.... Volnation thread is hysterical... 
He seems to be a bit of a head case
CJP withheld his home visit till after the dead period

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 08:48:43 EST »

At the moment ESPN has us at #19 but Rivals has us at #8, one point behind Florida.

The Gators lost a recruit to Miami today. Avantae Williams  I don't know squat about him but the interweb was making a big deal about it.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 09:08:12 EST »

At the moment ESPN has us at #19 but Rivals has us at #8, one point behind Florida.

The Gators lost a recruit to Miami today. Avantae Williams  I don't know squat about him but the interweb was making a big deal about it.

If they are upset about it, that's all that matters.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 09:37:03 EST »

espn has an absolute WEIRD way to calculate the standings.  They are considered an outlier in the ratings

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 10:00:48 EST »

The Gators lost a recruit to Miami today. Avantae Williams  I don't know squat about him but the interweb was making a big deal about it.

No.8 on Rivals.....No.10 on 247 composite....No.9 on 247 Sports.

Have no idea how ESPN computes things.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:31:07 EST by Tnphil » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 10:52:33 EST »

No.8 on Rivals.....No.10 on 247 composite....No.9 on 247 Sports.

Have not idea how ESPN computes things.

Remains to be seen if Pruitt really is "the guy", but let no man say he can't recruit.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 12:13:55 EST »

I just ignore ESPN, much prefer Rivals, always have

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 03:23:11 EST »

Wiseman appears to have some Justin Hunter.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 03:36:07 EST »

I just ignore ESPN, much prefer Rivals, always have

I pick the one that has us ranked the highest and call it a day.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 04:21:40 EST »

I pick the one that has us ranked the highest and call it a day.
Well, you are retired ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 04:43:34 EST »

Remains to be seen if Pruitt really is "the guy", but let no man say he can't recruit.
I'm sure your favorite coach Butch Jones would disagree with you. It's the X's and O's part they miss however. Ga State will live in infamy, unfortunately.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 05:17:40 EST »

Yes, he can and will recruit
He has VERY specific criteria for each position and pursues those that meets that criteria

I am more concerned with the development of the player since previous carney barkers that development was a four letter word to be avoided.

Early returns look promising as there was clear evidence of development this year, especially on the DL and secondary.
The secondary?  See one each Nigel Warrior - rest my case.
Also, we started a true Fr at the other safety spot the last quarter of the season.  Really wasn't till the 3rd quarter of the bowl game did he really miss some coverages and/or run support, and that was corrected, in game.
The DL became a plug and play operation as it continued to develop throughout the season - Rocker has my vote as MVP coach last year.
Henry T was lost early in the season but when Bituli was injured in the Gator bowl Henry T took over (with JJ Peterson beside him) without the defense a missing beat - yes Henry T is a special talent but that is development as a player and leader.

On offense Tee made a difference with the WR - they were running better routes and with a good QB they would have increased their yards (and TDs) significantly.
The OL improved but the biggest assist in the run game IMO was formations
Early we were running double TEs, usually on the right side.  Never passed but ran well (the Miss State game).  Later we went an entire game (I think the MO game) where we lined up in the formation and passed every single time.
Later we just ran behind Trey, Wanya and Pope.  Pope was my MVP this year.  You could see how valuable after his injury when in the bowl game the run game STOPPED, till Chaney adjusted again
Gray is another example of development.  Early, though he flashed talent, he was lost, especially in pass pro.  While I still don't think they fully trusted him late in the year he was used more and more in pass pro.  Where he developed is using patience and his instinct in the hole.  Yes there was some damn good OL blocking in the candy game but early in the season Gray would not have seen the holes opening on the back side.  Gray's reading of Trey's 2nd level block on the winning TD in the Gator Bowl still impresses me.  I don't believe he would have made that read early in the season.

Bottom line is we saw clear evidence of development.  Was it enough?  NO, but look forward to it continuing this year.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:18:11 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 08:49:17 EST »

I've been ambivalent about signing day for years because I didn't think we'd develop talent if we got it. Now I think we can.

Completely agree on Rocker as MVP.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 08:52:32 EST »

Ga State will live in infamy, unfortunately.
Nick Saban and Louisiana-Monroe said hello.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 10:45:48 EST »

I'm sure your favorite coach Butch Jones would disagree with you. It's the X's and O's part they miss however. Ga State will live in infamy, unfortunately.

My favorite coach?  please explain.  Obviously yes BJ was a great recruiter at first too but if you can't tell a difference between Jp and BJ X's and O's wise... that's a you problem.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 11:43:21 EST »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 06:35:15 EST »

Unfortunately...he overcame it pretty well. I hope Pruitt can too.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 10:35:33 EST »

Yes, he can and will recruit
He has VERY specific criteria for each position and pursues those that meets that criteria

I am more concerned with the development of the player since previous carney barkers that development was a four letter word to be avoided.

Early returns look promising as there was clear evidence of development this year, especially on the DL and secondary.
The secondary?  See one each Nigel Warrior - rest my case.
Also, we started a true Fr at the other safety spot the last quarter of the season.  Really wasn't till the 3rd quarter of the bowl game did he really miss some coverages and/or run support, and that was corrected, in game.
The DL became a plug and play operation as it continued to develop throughout the season - Rocker has my vote as MVP coach last year.
Henry T was lost early in the season but when Bituli was injured in the Gator bowl Henry T took over (with JJ Peterson beside him) without the defense a missing beat - yes Henry T is a special talent but that is development as a player and leader.

On offense Tee made a difference with the WR - they were running better routes and with a good QB they would have increased their yards (and TDs) significantly.
The OL improved but the biggest assist in the run game IMO was formations
Early we were running double TEs, usually on the right side.  Never passed but ran well (the Miss State game).  Later we went an entire game (I think the MO game) where we lined up in the formation and passed every single time.
Later we just ran behind Trey, Wanya and Pope.  Pope was my MVP this year.  You could see how valuable after his injury when in the bowl game the run game STOPPED, till Chaney adjusted again
Gray is another example of development.  Early, though he flashed talent, he was lost, especially in pass pro.  While I still don't think they fully trusted him late in the year he was used more and more in pass pro.  Where he developed is using patience and his instinct in the hole.  Yes there was some damn good OL blocking in the candy game but early in the season Gray would not have seen the holes opening on the back side.  Gray's reading of Trey's 2nd level block on the winning TD in the Gator Bowl still impresses me.  I don't believe he would have made that read early in the season.

Bottom line is we saw clear evidence of development.  Was it enough?  NO, but look forward to it continuing this year.

Hearing skuttlebutt that Rockers contract ran out the end of Jan and has not been renewed? Also the same rumors said he might be getting ready to retire because he has a son that will be pitching for Vandy this Spring and he might want to spend time watching and following him.

You heard anything, Pirate?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 12:31:35 EST »

Hearing skuttlebutt that Rockers contract ran out the end of Jan and has not been renewed? Also the same rumors said he might be getting ready to retire because he has a son that will be pitching for Vandy this Spring and he might want to spend time watching and following him.

You heard anything, Pirate?
Nothing more that we have see on TOS.
Rocker and Weinke's contracts have run out but both are still working though no announced contract - Staff raises/extensions late in Feb I have heard
In the end I think that a) it will be his choice and b) he will stay on staff in some capacity no matter his decision.
I hope he stays, he can flat coach

Personally I didn't see development at the QB position last year and would like to have seen a change there.  The HC disagrees but I trust his judgement

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2020, 12:42:55 EST »

Thanks, Pirate. Agree Rocker can coach. And maybe we'll see QB improvement this season...we better.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 01:22:17 EST »

Are Barnes and Pruitt gonna end up in a fist fight over him...lol?

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: