VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:39:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whew! Vols hang on to beat the Gators.*  (Read 3663 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2020, 10:06:33 EST »

`
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 10:08:59 EST »

I turned it off with the Vols leading by 19 I think. Turned it back on a little later and they were up by 2. It would have sucked to lose this game. They hung on.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 02:15:02 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:09:15 EST »

FULKY with some monster slams, including, in my view the winning slam on the follow slam off of Bowden's drive

Add in Air Pons and we held on

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:16:55 EST »

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:24:55 EST »

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 10:26:31 EST »

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 10:38:57 EST »

Grant tweeted that at the final buzzer

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 11:32:47 EST »

JJJ had a pretty good game....Our starters played a lot of minutes and had to....Got Zero points from the bench.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 11:42:21 EST »

JJJ had a pretty good game....Our starters played a lot of minutes and had to....Got Zero points from the bench.

Sure would be nice to see JJJ finish strong this season and then live up to his potential next year.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 07:59:36 EST »

Would have been the second time recently that we squandered a huge lead against a top opponent (the other being the 17 point lead we blew at Auburn).  At least Barnes took a TO early this time.  Glad we pulled it out, but the team needs to learn how to "put on more steam" with a big lead, instead of playing not to lose.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 02:52:06 EST »

Would have been the second time recently that we squandered a huge lead against a top opponent (the other being the 17 point lead we blew at Auburn).  At least Barnes took a TO early this time.  Glad we pulled it out, but the team needs to learn how to "put on more steam" with a big lead, instead of playing not to lose.

I’d say that was partly on us, but mostly on UF. I knew they wouldn’t continue that putrid shooting display they put on in the first half. They have better players than we do, and eventually that showed out. They were always going to make a big run. Thankfully we managed to build up a lead just big enough to withstand it.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 02:53:53 EST »

It is really difficult to put on more steam when you've been on the floor for almost the entire game. We are getting very little from the bench.

Yesterday: 0 bench points, 11 total bench minutes.

JJJ played 40 minutes, Pons 39, Bowden 38, Fulky 36, Santiago 34 (all from ESPN box score)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 05:12:27 EST »

It is really difficult to put on more steam when you've been on the floor for almost the entire game. We are getting very little from the bench.

JJJ played 40 minutes, Pons 39, Bowden 38, Fulky 36, Santiago 34 (all from ESPN box score)

Exactly.....It's a darned if you do or a darned if don't. Barnes can go to his bench and lose a lead or get further behind or play his starters extended minutes and have the same happen. Darn shame this late in the season and we can't get some help from the bench....We got tired yesterday no doubt.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 10:23:48 EST »

Uros has been a dud so far.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 01:15:04 EST »

Uros has been a dud so far.

That's probably being kind.

You can't coach a kid to be 7', but it's also tough to watch a 7' player get his shot blocked twice in the same possession, both times right at the rim.

I trust CRB, so I'll just hope that another year of coaching and work will really improve his game.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 05:08:28 EST »

You're right, I thought about this today after thinking about it more.  I recalled that there were zero bench points at halftime, and that our bench is pretty bad.  So our guys get tired.  That would explain the blown leads. 

Next season we should have some depth with all the new talent coming in.  Would still like to see at least one bench player emerge this year in the last few games though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 10:22:52 EST »

No chance at all for a run in the SECT if the bench cannot respond. That's a grueling week if you have a deep bench.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 02:04:57 EST »

If you was a betting man...which is more likely... win over Auburn or a win over KY?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 06:39:46 EST »

If you was a betting man...which is more likely... win over Auburn or a win over KY?

Auburn by a mile.  We should have beaten them on their own floor.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 07:04:17 EST »

Auburn by a mile.  We should have beaten them on their own floor.

^Yep.....I see no way we beat KY at Rupp. This is probably the best KY defense Cal has had since he's been there.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 05:33:21 EST »

^Yep.....I see no way we beat KY at Rupp. This is probably the best KY defense Cal has had since he's been there.

Sometimes it's good to be wrong!   

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 06:04:34 EST »

Sometimes it's good to be wrong!   

Gladly!! Most bi-polar team I've ever seen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: