VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 12:21:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone still OK?.................  (Read 3332 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:40:31 EDT »

Try to check in occasionally.

Fun fact (or maybe not so fun): Sales of alcohol have almost doubled. And liquor stores say that they are selling out of Everclear. For those who don't know, Everclear is grain alcohol sold in proofs of 120, 151, 189, and 190. It's being used as hand sanitizer. I would recommend the 189 or 190 proof since that would be about 95% alcohol. Vodka normally won't do since its alcohol content is 40% or so although there are some vodkas with alcohol content as high as grain alcohol.

Now you know.

Wash your hands. And get off of my lawn.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:01:38 EDT »

Spent more time in the past 5 months couped up than I can ever remember....Hurt my back pretty bad the 6th of Nov. and that put me on the DL for 5 weeks and by then it was bad weather, Christmas season....raining every 2 days for the next 3 months. At least back then it was still football going on.....I finally got back on the golf course in Feb for a few rounds then the end part of Feb. I fell in my driveway and went down faster than if I'd been shot with a deer rifle. Sprained my wrist really bad and hurt my shoulder....About the time I got over that then this national emergency happened. Now only get out when I'm low on stuff and then I buy stuff I'd normally never buy just to have food in the house.

My son and family lives in Northern Virginia and he told me last week they were closing the liquor stores up there and he ran out and stocked up for 6 months....They have also cancelled school the rest of the year there too.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:06:00 EDT »

Spent more time in the past 5 months couped up than I can ever remember....Hurt my back pretty bad the 6th of Nov. and that put me on the DL for 5 weeks and by then it was bad weather, Christmas season....raining every 2 days for the next 3 months. At least back then it was still football going on.....I finally got back on the golf course in Feb for a few rounds then the end part of Feb. I fell in my driveway and went down faster than if I'd been shot with a deer rifle. Sprained my wrist really bad and hurt my shoulder....About the time I got over that then this national emergency happened. Now only get out when I'm low on stuff and then I buy stuff I'd normally never buy just to have food in the house.

My son and family lives in Northern Virginia and he told me last week they were closing the liquor stores up there and he ran out and stocked up for 6 months....They have also cancelled school the rest of the year there too.

Dang, take care of yourself. I always tell people, "I'm too old to fall down".  I have 140 bottles of wine, a bottle of rum, a bottle of single malt scotch and a bottle of Limoncello.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:28:43 EDT »

Sounds like you are well stocked on wine....My son in Virginia has a stocked bar at home that most business bars would love to have. I laughed last week when he told me he had to run out before they closed the stores and stock up more. Good thing about being a beer drinker like me, all the stores here are well stocked.

Beer is....barley...wheat...water. Can a person live on that?
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:55:53 EDT »

Dang, take care of yourself. I always tell people, "I'm too old to fall down".  I have 140 bottles of wine, a bottle of rum, a bottle of single malt scotch and a bottle of Limoncello.

Ummm I have enough bourbon and other distilled spirits that I have a good 30 day supply.  If they close the stores then the people will riot so the city of Knoxville deemed them "required businesses" 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:04:29 EDT »

Sounds like you are well stocked on wine....My son in Virginia has a stocked bar at home that most business bars would love to have. I laughed last week when he told me he had to run out before they closed the stores and stock up more. Good thing about being a beer drinker like me, all the stores here are well stocked.

Beer is....barley...wheat...water. Can a person live on that?
Yes
Once deployed to the middle of BF Eastern Africa (I won't name the Country but a few years later they shot a blackhawk down there)
Going in we stopped at Clark to fix the bird and I stocked up on beer
The guys say I couldn't drink beer and work - said watch me
Only real difference is I had spam, cheese and crackers for my Thanksgiving meal.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 10:05:24 EDT »

Ummm I have enough bourbon and other distilled spirits that I have a good 30 day supply.  If they close the stores then the people will riot so the city of Knoxville deemed them "required businesses" 

Can you make spam into a gourmet meal?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 10:44:02 EDT »

Fried spam sandmich…  yum!!!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 11:16:54 EDT »

Like I posted above this has caused me to buy things I'd never usually buy/eat at this point in life.....This morning I stopped at Krogers about 7:45 because there was less cars in the parking lot at that time I've seen in almost 2 weeks....Shopping for me now is grab and go and get the heck out of there....I bought cans of Chef Boyardee and cans of Vienna Sausage.....Bet I haven't had either in 40 years. Here, other than toilet paper and hand sanitizer the other item that is almost impossible to get is fresh meats....They did have some frozen chicken and frozen beef patties. Lucky I got there before that was all gone.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 01:21:22 EDT »

Still good here.  I haven't been out except to do grocery pickup since my surgery.  See oncologist next Tues., so will know then when treatments start...not looking forward to that. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 01:55:38 EDT »

https://www.foodnetwork.ca/everyday-cooking/photos/surprising-and-delicious-spam-recipes/#!ramen-korean-army-noodles
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 03:28:55 EDT »

You could use some variety in your booze  

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 07:07:38 EDT »

Was told I'm to work from home until further notice.  Wife is seizing the opportunity with the honey-do list!   
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 10:05:38 EDT »

Was told I'm to work from home until further notice.  Wife is seizing the opportunity with the honey-do list!   

They always do ;)
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 03:33:07 EDT »

Yes you can.  You basically take some cold steamed rice and add in some really good umami (soy sauce) and create fried rice with the addition of some fresh peas and carrots and other vegetables and add in a scrambled egg, then you fry off a piece of spam.  Now take a serving of the fried rice and put this in a bowl and add the fried spam and a poached egg on top and drizzle a little extra soy sauce on this and add in some cilantro and this is a great dish. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 07:03:17 EDT »

Yes you can.  You basically take some cold steamed rice and add in some really good umami (soy sauce) and create fried rice with the addition of some fresh peas and carrots and other vegetables and add in a scrambled egg, then you fry off a piece of spam.  Now take a serving of the fried rice and put this in a bowl and add the fried spam and a poached egg on top and drizzle a little extra soy sauce on this and add in some cilantro and this is a great dish. 

We've pretty much done this in past years and it's good. I grew up in a era that Spam was a thing and had it quit often. It was good for breakfast growing up just fried in a skillet. We also had those canned hams back then....The one where the ham was canned with all that jelly like stuff. I guess they still have that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: