VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 08:25:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnny Majors has passed away.  (Read 4222 times)
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:41:53 EDT »

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/johnny-majors-volunteers-dead-passed-away-legend-player-coach-2020/?fbclid=IwAR0JenSs9P5PhXSc4oq4oHqs50uIIxNmmFTZJSMCdB0wL1iBJDG5GJNObZI
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 04:38:09 EDT »

RIP Coach Majors

He sure gave me some great memories the years he coached UT.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:47:58 EDT »

Can this year suck anymore? I shouldn't ask. RIP coach. You will always be remembered fondly on ole Rocky Top. God Bless his family.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 05:17:19 EDT »

Attack, Attack, always attack!

His Sugar Bowl pregame is legend

Have Fun!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 08:38:53 EDT »

Attack, Attack, always attack!

His Sugar Bowl pregame is legend

Have Fun!

"Somebody might say, well the fun is over, now let's get down to business. Well, let's hope the fun has just started. And the only way for the fun to start is for us to keep our minds on our business and play like the Tennessee Volunteers, Southeastern Conference champions, know how to play. And that's good enough to beat anybody, and everybody, on any given day. You know that, and I know that."

One of the best speeches ever.

"They don't have any respect for ya, make them remember you as long as they live. The way you hit. And the way you knock 'em down downfield. And the way we hustle."

I loved Johnny Majors. Always did, even in the early '90s, when he'd just been fired and somewhat demonized in order to justify the decision.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 12:57:50 EDT »

Had he been sick? I know he was 85, but I thought he was ok. Anything could happen at that age. RIP coach. One of his biggest on field rivals, Pat Dye, just died too.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:22:30 EDT »

3 of my all time favorite games were from 1985. Auburn, Alabama, and Miami. All wins. Course the gators got us that year   coulda, shoulda beat UCLA, and Ga Tech (ties before OT) Smh. That team was really close to all the marbles!  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:33:41 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 06:14:46 EDT »

Cut my teeth on the Vols under Majors.  That'll always be the golden age, to me.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 07:33:55 EDT »

3 of my all time favorite games were from 1985. Auburn, Alabama, and Miami. All wins. Course the gators got us that year   coulda, shoulda beat UCLA, and Ga Tech (ties before OT) Smh. That team was really close to all the marbles!  

That Auburn game was my first as a student, and first full game.  The only game I attended prior to that was Vandy in 1984 at Neyland.  My father and I were driving by during the game and just decided to walk up to the stadium in the late third quarter and they let us in and we watched about 15 minutes and left.  That doesn't really count. 

But though I have mentioned it before, what an expeerience that was for a first game.  Sit down Bo!!!!! LMAO

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 08:45:17 EDT »

That Auburn game was my first as a student, and first full game.  The only game I attended prior to that was Vandy in 1984 at Neyland.  My father and I were driving by during the game and just decided to walk up to the stadium in the late third quarter and they let us in and we watched about 15 minutes and left.  That doesn't really count. 

But though I have mentioned it before, what an expeerience that was for a first game.  Sit down Bo!!!!! LMAO

Majors was really good as an underdog. He laid a couple eggs with the better team though 
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 02:38:56 EDT »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29262103/undefined
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 05:25:06 EDT »

Great article!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 06:20:26 EDT »

Majors was really good as an underdog. He laid a couple eggs with the better team though 

Often the egg was laid right after a big win.  For example, in that same 1985 season we beat bammer and then turned around and tied a below average Georgia Tech team at Neyland the very next week. I was at that game, rainy, and the team acted like they didn't want to play. 

Rumor was that after a big win Johhny would go on a bender and be hung over all the next week and not prepare well for the next game.  I think that's probably pretty likely from what I have heard.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 07:17:29 EDT »

Often the egg was laid right after a big win.  For example, in that same 1985 season we beat bammer and then turned around and tied a below average Georgia Tech team at Neyland the very next week. I was at that game, rainy, and the team acted like they didn't want to play. 

Rumor was that after a big win Johhny would go on a bender and be hung over all the next week and not prepare well for the next game.  I think that's probably pretty likely from what I have heard.   

First game after T-Rob got hurt. I can excuse that one. Sucks though, because we may have been playing for much higher stakes in the Sugar Bowl had we won.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 08:20:25 EDT »

First game after T-Rob got hurt. I can excuse that one. Sucks though, because we may have been playing for much higher stakes in the Sugar Bowl had we won.

I had a few after that game myself.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 06:52:58 EDT »

Our fanbase has experienced a ton of loss the past few years- Pat Summitt, Bobby Denton, John Ward, now Johnny Majors. People who my generation grew up with and who shaped our fandom. And that’s not even to mention our downturn in fortunes on the field.

It HAS to get better sometime, right? 

Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 06:59:56 EDT »

Our fanbase has experienced a ton of loss the past few years- Pat Summitt, Bobby Denton, John Ward, now Johnny Majors. People who my generation grew up with and who shaped our fandom. And that’s not even to mention our downturn in fortunes on the field.

It HAS to get better sometime, right? 

I was thinking yesterday that all of the people I considered legends of Tennessee football during my youth are gone, in a short span of time. First Bobby Denton, then Bill Anderson, then John Ward, and now John Majors.

Plus Reggie Cobb died last year...one of the 5-6 players that most immediately come to mind (at least for me) when I think about that late '80s era of Majors and the Vols that really set the stage for the '90s.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 06:20:25 EDT »

Read this tidbit in a KNS article:

"Tennessee pried Majors loose from Pittsburgh with a six-year contract worth $50,000 annually to coach his alma mater."
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 03:45:01 EDT »

Can you see it???

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: