VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:50:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have any of you had any significant riots where you reside? We've only  (Read 1320 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2020, 04:38:00 EDT »

had a few peace protests here in Rapid City. Mostly Native Americans protesting police brutality. Yet 95% of the crime here is native on native crime. It could get real on the 4th of July. Trump is supposed to be here and they are having fireworks. However, the Black Hills National Forest is surrounding it and has so many dead trees from the mountain pine beetle there hasn't been fireworks at Mt. Rushmore for many years due to this fact and the fire danger. However, Trump, the intellectual that he is, bragged about getting the fireworks approved for this year. His remark: "it can't catch on fire, it's a rock". I guess he forgot the forest it was surrounded by.  I just wonder how many protesters will be on hand. It should be a great photo op for both sides. It is going to be one giant cluster****. You couldn't get me to go. Which kind of ruins normal fourth of July celebrations here.   

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:41:25 EDT »

lol.  That sounds like something Trump would say.

Not much of protests going on in Huntsville.  I think there were some small peaceful ones, but they didn't get much pub.

One thing affecting me is that I have two interns this summer, but they are both remote.  One is in Chicago with her boyfriend, and we had to ship her a computer for her internship.  They are on the South Side of Chicago and Fed Ex would not deliver to their address due to the "unrest".  So she had to go to the FedEx depot and pick it up, no big deal, but it did delay her computer for a week.  It got stalled in Nashville, and instead of holding it there and asking us what we wanted to do they sent it back to Huntsville with only a very terse explanation that said "cannot be delivered".  I had to call them and ask why. They said it was due to protests and riots.  I suspect they didn't want to put that in writing is why they didn't do a better job of explaining it.  Corporations are so spineless....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:59:38 EDT »

I was about to drive down into DC last night and help defend Ol' Hickory.... But I was in the middle of a Lost marathon and I wanted to see if Jack survived that Appendectomy.  Seriously though, I felt like going down there and supporting those officers.  I felt bad for them.  But alas, too old, too out of shape........

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:41:38 EDT »

I was about to drive down into DC last night and help defend Ol' Hickory.... But I was in the middle of a Lost marathon and I wanted to see if Jack survived that Appendectomy.  Seriously though, I felt like going down there and supporting those officers.  I felt bad for them.  But alas, too old, too out of shape........

I like Jackson, up to a point.

But he will never live down the Trail of Tears thing.  That was bad, even for the 1840s.  The Supreme Court ruled against it and he just ignored them.  I think he should have respected the system a bit more than that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 03:09:28 EDT »

yeah, the trail of tears was bad.  He was an indian fighter thru and thru.  He certainly was not averse to getting his hands dirty, so to speak.  Let's face it, things were brutal back then.  However, I agree a large part of that Cherokee population would have assimilated well into American society - a lot of them already had.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: