VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 12:26:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MLB...This might not bode well for college football  (Read 1638 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2020, 05:26:11 EDT »

Miami Marlins have 12 players test positive and have cancelled tonight game....As of this morning the team is still stuck in Philly who the Marlins played over the weekend.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/fl-sp-coronavirus-outbreak-cancel-marlins-20200727-glx5ampnevfynf4amcfxy3wvyq-story.html

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:23:17 EDT »

I hope and pray that I'm wrong, but I don't see a scenario where schools and college football can go on long unless we just adopt a "this is just a form of the flu" attitude. With current guidelines I just can't see a path to keeping enough staff and players off quarantine for long periods of time.

** Addendum: I'm not suggesting that this is just the flu. I have enough medical professionals in my family to know that this is really ugly if you get it and aren't blessed enough to get the mild versions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:26:03 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:44:28 EDT »

The game tonight between the Phillies and Yankees at Philly has been cancelled due to exposure concerns....There lies the issue....You have 1 team have players test positive and it effects 4 teams.....Marlins, Yankees, Phillies and Baltimore. Marlins now have several players that will be out for 10 or more days... If and when more teams have players test positive like the Marlins it will be a snowball effect as far as the flow of the season....Same with college football.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:05:47 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 09:30:10 EDT »

It will be interesting to see how the NBA does with their "bubble" approach. But I would be amazed if college or pro football pulls this off. One person can infect an unlimited number of people. An NBA team has a lot less players than a football team. Add in travel and exposure of these players to outside people.

I see where Oklahoma has moved up their first game to a week earlier than originally scheduled. That gives them an open week before playing the Vols, if that game even happens. If I was running this thing I would cancel away OOC games. Have one OOC game at home and play 8 or 9 SEC games. Even then, it's still a lot of exposure.

The FCS schools that play money games are really going to suffer. Furman University here in Greenville, SC eliminated their baseball program a few months ago. And more may be on the way.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 09:53:31 EDT »

I agree about the lower tier schools. Those programs and the athletes that benefit from them are going to suffer most likely.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 09:58:58 EDT »

Agree 100% droner.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 02:27:04 EDT »

It will be interesting to see how the NBA does with their "bubble" approach. But I would be amazed if college or pro football pulls this off. One person can infect an unlimited number of people. An NBA team has a lot less players than a football team. Add in travel and exposure of these players to outside people.

I see where Oklahoma has moved up their first game to a week earlier than originally scheduled. That gives them an open week before playing the Vols, if that game even happens. If I was running this thing I would cancel away OOC games. Have one OOC game at home and play 8 or 9 SEC games. Even then, it's still a lot of exposure.

The FCS schools that play money games are really going to suffer. Furman University here in Greenville, SC eliminated their baseball program a few months ago. And more may be on the way.
I see your point. However, one team has to travel to every game. What good does it do to cancel away OOC games? That one OOC game you recommend to be played at home, the other team still has to travel. If a team can travel to Fayetteville for a conference game, why can't they go to Norman for an OOC game. I think this season is in trouble.
Hope I'm wrong.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 04:03:39 EDT »

I would have the OOC game against a FCS school that needs money. But they would be paid a discounted rate. I would also try to have that game against someone not far away so that travel wouldn't be that expensive.

Of course, all this is moot if they don't play at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: