VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 10:57:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC 10 game conference schedule only?  (Read 1441 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2020, 01:31:33 EDT »

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/29/sec-football-schedule-news-conference-only

"The SEC is moving closer to an agreement on a conference-only schedule of 10 games, multiple sources told Sports Illustrated. During a virtual meeting on Wednesday, a majority of athletic directors approved the idea of an SEC-only, 10-game schedule. However, the schedule must be ratified by league presidents. SEC presidents are expected to meet virtually Thursday to seriously discuss the matter. It is unclear if they will vote then or delay a decision until next week. The NCAA Board of Governors is scheduled to meet Tuesday in what could be a momentous event for the 2020–21 college athletic season. Officials there could postpone or cancel fall championships, eliminating year-ending championships for sports such as FCS football, volleyball and soccer, or moving those to the spring."
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 04:04:53 EDT »

Since the SEC worships the almighty dollar ($), I expect the league to try to play at a reduced income level. When you live beyond your means and always expect the money to keep flowing in at an increasing rate and that the money flow stops or is curtailed, maybe you over committed your assets.

If the SEC Presidents actually listen to real medical experts and not their lackeys telling them what they want to hear, they will delay or limit the number of games. Experience with what has happened with states opening back up before the virus has slowed down the spread and relying on common sense and the responsibility of loving your neighbor to contain it just spreads it further and causes death and financial ruin.

This virus does not care about your politics, it does not care how invincible you think you are, or how much your love tradition, it will infect you and may kill you or a loved one. If money is your God, by all means play football and pray your luck holds out. Ignoring the illness will not make it go away. You can have the best of plans and intentions and still fail. The SEC schools are in the heart of this disease and trying to act like you can have a contact sport and not make people sick is folly. Why spend money starting up to only be shut down again?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 11:14:45 EDT »

If there is no season, it will be a huge hit to athletic departments.  I mean, do they refund season tickets?  I would think so.  Refund the ticket prices but try to hold on to the donations seems very likely, and would piss a lot of alumni off is my guess.  Plus no popcorn.

I have no idea how TV revenue is handled.

What about high priced coaching salaries?  Are they deferred, a la MLB?  Is something written into their contracts to handle situations like this?  If not, it will be in the future!

It's quite an interesting situation.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: