VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 03:17:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So about Bryson DeChambeau...  (Read 1763 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2020, 12:18:01 EDT »

2020 vs. 2019. I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 03:14:35 EDT »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 04:43:58 EDT »

Not hard to gain 35-40 pounds when you are taking in 5-6,000 calories per day.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:32:13 EDT »

He only hit 23 of 56 fairways. That's incredible, and bad for the game imo. I am neither for nor against Dechambeau, but the game was already getting too long imo. I guess the rough is just going to need to get rougher... 
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 05:57:33 EDT »

I don't think rough is the answer. That rough was incredibly high, but they are so long that they are able to hit out of it with short irons. With those clubs they have enough control to manage a course like Winged Foot - something that was never possible before.

Bryson was 7th (I think) in driving distance this week. Its just that he manhandled the course with his power from the rough.

The answer, short of dialing back their distances through technology, is likely fully tree-lined areas off the fairway (see Harbor Towne) or water water everywhere.

**Addendum: You have to give him credit - he brought that course to its knees.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 08:15:51 EDT »

The USGA and/or PGA are going to have to do what they have known for a while that they were going to have to do: Regulate the equipment including the golf balls.

The problem is that the equipment manufacturers scream bloody murder every time this is brought up. "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" used to apply to NASCAR. But it also applies to golf. And seeing that the golf equipment manufacturers are big sponsors of the PGA and the players, it might be difficult to regulate. The only thing left is to trick up the courses. Many of the old courses could lose a lot of charm and history.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 09:10:35 EDT »

Jack Nicklaus has said many times the fix is with the ball and he's been harping to the powers that be for years and so far deaf ears.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 01:55:59 EDT »

I agree with both posts above but I don't know that they'll every disk back the tech on tour. As has already been stated, lots of money involved.

That said, distance is only going to increase. Technology isn't slowing down. I'm 62 years old and hit the ball further now than I ever have - that's not supposed to happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: