VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 12:52:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On a brighter note...  (Read 2182 times)
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2020, 08:36:31 EDT »

UGA's defense looks to be the best in the conference. I liked how our defense fought all game and kept us in the game despite losing our DE to that boneheaded targeting play and our lack of running game, thanks mostly to UGA's defense.
There is a lot of potential for the rest of the season. O-line has to get better as does the running game but I don't think they will face another defense as tough as UGA's. Bama looks beatable, their defense looks weak but it's still Bama.
Everyone else is a toss up.
There is a lot to focus on and get better at but I do see improvement, especially on defense. They just ran into the best defense in the SEC yesterday. Lots of football left to be played. Go Vols!!  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:40:04 EDT by crockettman » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 10:19:50 EDT »

4-17 on 3rd down....Turnovers by Gitmo the 2nd half giving UGA offense the ball on short field position.....UGA offense had the ball OVER 13 minutes more than us which is darn near a whole quarter means our defense was gassed in the 4th quarter. For the most part we played good defense....But I do hope at some point I see us have DBs who can defend and cover...defend the slants...the middle of the field. Our DBs are slow as a group and can't keep up. Seems we've signed 40 DBs over the last few years and we still can't get it right.

The offense was pitiful...the scheme and game plan was even worse.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 11:52:51 EDT »

UGA's defense looks to be the best in the conference. I liked how our defense fought all game and kept us in the game despite losing our DE to that boneheaded targeting play and our lack of running game, thanks mostly to UGA's defense.
There is a lot of potential for the rest of the season. O-line has to get better as does the running game but I don't think they will face another defense as tough as UGA's. Bama looks beatable, their defense looks weak but it's still Bama.
Everyone else is a toss up.
There is a lot to focus on and get better at but I do see improvement, especially on defense. They just ran into the best defense in the SEC yesterday. Lots of football left to be played. Go Vols!!  

I think their defense is the best in the country, hands down, with the possible exception of Clemson.  But Uga D has looked far better than Clemson so far IMO.

Absolutely agree that we will not face another D this tough.

I think uga can easily beat bammer this weekend, especially since i think bammer must be exhausted by their game with Ole Miss.  Having said that, Kirby has in the past clearly had the upper hand on bammer most of the game before choking it away in the second half, and that may well happen again.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 12:33:48 EDT »

4-17 on 3rd down....Turnovers by Gitmo the 2nd half giving UGA offense the ball on short field position.....UGA offense had the ball OVER 13 minutes more than us which is darn near a whole quarter means our defense was gassed in the 4th quarter. For the most part we played good defense....But I do hope at some point I see us have DBs who can defend and cover...defend the slants...the middle of the field. Our DBs are slow as a group and can't keep up. Seems we've signed 40 DBs over the last few years and we still can't get it right.

Agreed.. I was expecting a better scheme than that or at least some adjustments by Chaney at the half to get the ball out quicker. Roll outs or some screen passes to get the ball to our backs passed the line of scrimmage.
A flea flicker or shovel pass.. Anything to burn them on their rush.
JG screwed the pooch with that int and held the ball too long but that wasn't all on him.. Piss poor play calling and no effort to change things up
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:52:30 EDT by crockettman » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:41:35 EDT »

Agreed.  It's as if we were just hoping to out muscle them with no backup plan.  Horrible.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 01:50:24 EDT »

Agreed.  It's as if we were just hoping to out muscle them with no backup plan.  Horrible.

That is Chaney's MO....Didn't like him the first time he was here didn't like him coming back. When his game plan gets blown up he doesn't adjust....he is done. Kirby Smart knew that and Kirby made Chaney his bitch the 2nd half.

If Chaney has a Drew Brees or a Bird Brain Tyler Bray type who can spin it 50 yards on a rope 40 times per game and WRs that can go get it then he looks good....He will not out scheme a defensive coach with a pulse. He tried to play UGA between the hash marks....played right into UGA's hands and strength.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:05:31 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 02:47:20 EDT »

Can't argue that our scheme seemed bad in the 2nd half, it did.  But maybe Georgia was jumping the short routes and begging us to throw deep, and the pressure didn't allow that?  I don't know, I haven't watched the film, just speculating.

I do get that people don't like Chaney, but at the same time, our offense has generally scored a lot under Chaney, and at the end of the day that's what matters.  We improved greatly on offense last year, for instance.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 02:42:09 EDT »

Yeah. That UGA defense was better than the 1985 Bears. 

Minus 1 yard rushing can't be defended.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 04:24:20 EDT »

Yeah. That UGA defense was better than the 1985 Bears. 

Minus 1 yard rushing can't be defended.

Not so fast my good friend Herb, MINUS 1 rushing is WELL DEFENDED - - -   

But I agree, it ain't just about a pretty stout defense, it's about what someone else mentioned above - poor gameplan and poor play calling.  Couple that with really bad execution.  I said this at halftime - it looked like we came out there and were not ready to play:  not lined up right, mucho penalties, busted plays, busted handoffs, we had our heads up our asses.  We were lucky to score those 2 TD's on offense.  JG just threw those up for grabs and Palmer made him look good.  Palmer was channeling some Calloway and Jennings on those plays and that was great to see.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 04:34:08 EDT »

Not so fast my good friend Herb, MINUS 1 rushing is WELL DEFENDED - - -   

But I agree, it ain't just about a pretty stout defense, it's about what someone else mentioned above - poor gameplan and poor play calling.  Couple that with really bad execution.  I said this at halftime - it looked like we came out there and were not ready to play:  not lined up right, mucho penalties, busted plays, busted handoffs, we had our heads up our asses.  We were lucky to score those 2 TD's on offense.  JG just threw those up for grabs and Palmer made him look good.  Palmer was channeling some Calloway and Jennings on those plays and that was great to see.
I think that a) they were too hyped and b) were concerned with the uga D

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 05:04:10 EDT »

I think that a) they were too hyped and b) were concerned with the uga D

Maybe that was it - too hyped up.  They were not the same team that played Mizzou.  ANd Mizzou showed us this past weekend that they are not too bad.  We have the guns, but we are not quite up to UGa's level.  But we are not too far off.  However, we really didn't show up.  That halftime lead was kind a fluke, but credit some good defensive play.  Our defense is not deep enuff to carry a game against a top tier team.  It just is not gonna happen.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 05:58:59 EDT »

Pruitt wants to play the old Bama big boy football of a few years ago.....But....we don't have the Bama big boys to do it. Don't have the QB that can 'manage' a game...make downfield plays when it's needed....make the right decisions 99% of the time. We also don't have that 230-240 pound back that can run over your ass and when he runs over your ass he has the speed to take it to the house and leave DBs in his dust....Also those Bama backs after pounding on your ass all game by the 4th quarter the defense didn't want to tackle them anymore. Gray and Chandler aren't power backs...not even close. They are made for getting in space and doing their thing. IMO, we need to spread it out some and create space to give our RBs to space to run. Use more short passes to the RBs.....screens....a toss sweep a few times per game..

Right now Pruitt is running a offense trying to put square pegs in round holes and doing it with one of the worst SEC QB's I've ever seen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: