VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 04:44:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UT vs UK in mid October(10/17) when's the last time this game's been so early?  (Read 602 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2020, 04:54:32 EDT »

It seems like the Kentucky game was forever a Thanksgiving event - either the weekend before or the weekend after.  I have a lot of memories of being on the road, traveling to some family get together and listening to John Ward call the Kentucky game.  I'll never forget that Alan Duncan kick.  We had to pullover to the side of the road and listen to that one.  There were many others.  I guess all that changed several years ago and the UK game moved up a few weeks in our schedule.  We have played them at the end of OCT a few times in recent years.  But how far back do you have to go to find a UK game that was played earlier than the one coming up this Saturday?

1944!  I guess this is because of the war, but we played UK twice that year.  We played Nov 25 at Lexington, and we also opened the season with UK at home Sept 30.  Before that, you have to go back to 1909, when we played them on Oct 16.  It seems like the late Nov matchup tradition started for good around 1913.  I kinda hate to see traditions like that messed with, but nothing good lasts forever - except for the One thing, of course.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:56:13 EDT by Coupe De VOL » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: