VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 11:45:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, if you had to make the call......  (Read 3950 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2020, 09:29:12 EDT »

I understand that as fans we don't have access to all of the information, but knowing only the finite facts that we do know who would be your likely strategy at QB next week?

1. JG as usual
2. Shrout and Maurer depending on their play
3. Shrout and Maurer for Bama depending on the play of each - Bailey after the bye week
4. Bailey to build for the future
5. Other (want to explain?)

I like option 3
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:41:42 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:55:53 EDT »

I would start Bailey. This isn't a vintage bammer defense, and even if we lose (which we will), he could still put up some big numbers. Doing so against a "name brand" like bammer can be a big confidence builder for a young QB.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 10:00:34 EDT »

I would start Bailey. This isn't a vintage bammer defense, and even if we lose (which we will), he could still put up some big numbers. Doing so against a "name brand" like bammer can be a big confidence builder for a young QB.
I agree with you. Like I said in an earlier post, there are freshman QB's playing well all over the country. Why can't ours?

volsboyinsodak
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 10:10:02 EDT »

probably time to practice for next year. However QB is not the only position we are weak at. Even the ol is disappointing.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 10:16:02 EDT »

I’d rather go 3-4 wins with Bailey than the 5 or 6 wins we might get at best with Mr Flatline Development Curve, JG.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 10:26:17 EDT »

I’d rather go 3-4 wins with Bailey than the 5 or 6 wins we might get at best with Mr Flatline Development Curve, JG.
That is a good description of him. I just don't get his lack of improvement. Wonder what Kiffin would do with him?

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 10:28:08 EDT »

What are our coaches doing?  How do you not have one QB really ready to go?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 10:39:14 EDT »

Disagree
He is nowhere near ready to start against Bamer
I’d go with 12 then 18

After another scrimmage and the open date maybe go with Bailey
He needs a ton of reps to be ready to play in the SEC

In a normal year with him going through spring practice he would be more ready
Having said that, the drive he got today will go a long way getting him up to speed quicker

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 11:36:38 EDT »

I understand that as fans we don't have access to all of the information, but knowing only the finite facts that we do know who would be your likely strategy at QB next week?

1. JG as usual
2. Shrout and Maurer depending on their play
3. Shrout and Maurer for Bama depending on the play of each - Bailey after the bye week
4. Bailey to build for the future
5. Other (want to explain?)

I like option 3

Option 3 for me as well. Our problem though is Shrout and Maurer and not SEC caliber QBs that we need. Hopefully, Bailey just needs snaps to get better. So the coaches need to pick one between Shrout and Maurer and give the back-up QB snaps to Bailey starting this week. They also need to simplify the offense - even having the entire unit stand-up and look to the sideline for the play based on the defensive alignment. No reads from the QB position for the rest of the year.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:47:29 EDT by Cobbvol » Logged
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 12:10:26 EDT »

I've had enough of JG, is time to build for the future. I thought he would finally fill into his spot this year but the kid is a disaster.. He's been streaky at best and he can go from playing smart and protecting the ball to head case at any time. I'm tired of seeing him in a UT uniform. I would put any of the 3 backups in or give all of them game time according to the down and distance or game situations. I'd even go wildcat with Chandler,anything to try and spark the offense after a performance or lack of like this.
We won't beat bama even if we had Joe Burrow at qb so imo, it's time to take the the training wheels off and see what Bailey can do and put the JG years behind us.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 12:46:27 EDT »

What are our coaches doing?  How do you not have one QB really ready to go?
Exactly.. How many times do you see a kid come off the bench and lead his team to victory or to take the starting job away from another. Like Tebow did against us years back or even this year with what Bennett did for UGA at Arky.
They act like JG is the only thing we got. Pruitt says JG is our best chance at qb ?? I just don't get it.
Is more like our best chance at a meltdown and screwing the pooch single handedly like at bama last year.
Both backups from last year should be ready to go by now. What happens if JG goes down even if he was playing well?
I blame Pruitt for coddling JG and the qb coach for not having the others right there, ready to play  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:58:26 EDT by crockettman » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 01:10:54 EDT »

Pruitt is fault No.1.....Chaney is fault No.2. It's Chaney's offense.
Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 02:03:14 EDT »

Pruitt is fault No.1.....Chaney is fault No.2. It's Chaney's offense.

I’m not real happy with very many people on our coaching staff right now. Not Pruitt, not Chaney, not Weinke and not Friend. I can’t watch next week if JG trots out as the starter. I’ll turn it off and go hiking. There comes a point where you just get tired of subjecting yourself to the misery.

Today was a disaster of epic proportions. Let’s not kid ourselves: that team quit. They flat out quit. It was an embarrassment. And I think it had everything to do with the dysfunction at QB.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 02:34:14 EDT »

I’m not real happy with very many people on our coaching staff right now. Not Pruitt, not Chaney, not Weinke and not Friend. I can’t watch next week if JG trots out as the starter. I’ll turn it off and go hiking. There comes a point where you just get tired of subjecting yourself to the misery.

Today was a disaster of epic proportions. Let’s not kid ourselves: that team quit. They flat out quit. It was an embarrassment. And I think it had everything to do with the dysfunction at QB.

They did quit...on JG. If Pruitt keeps trotting his ass out there the team will quit on Pruitt too. You can only piss on the teams legs so long and they will figure out it's not raining sooner or later. Pruitt has been pissing on the teams legs when it comes to JG.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 02:43:36 EDT »

I can’t watch next week if JG trots out as the starter. I’ll turn it off and go hiking. There comes a point where you just get tired of subjecting yourself to the misery.

I completely agree with this.  I'm not into hiking, but hopefully it will be a good day for golf.  I'm tired of watching JG at QB for UT.

Personally, I'm not in favor of the idea of putting HB in the starting role against the likes of Bama.  With the way our offensive line is playing, I would not want that to be his first start here.  There's always the chance that it could go really well, but odds are that it will not.  Just my $0.02 worth.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:46:12 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 02:46:29 EDT »

. I can’t watch next week if JG trots out as the starter. I’ll turn it off and go hiking. There comes a point where you just get tired of subjecting yourself to the misery.

The fans in the stadium did that today, after being very vocally demonstrative 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 04:42:03 EDT »

I had thought about this Im sure most everyone did, I say start JG against bammer but with a dhort  leash. First fizzleup put Bailey in.

BDV I think the exact opposite, starting Bailey against bammer is far more likely to hurt his confidence.

Go ahead and let JG take the initial heat vs bammer, but then let Bailey play as early as seemd logical.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 04:51:50 EDT »

I had thought about this Im sure most everyone did, I say start JG against bammer but with a dhort  leash. First fizzleup put Bailey in.

BDV I think the exact opposite, starting Bailey against bammer is far more likely to hurt his confidence.

Go ahead and let JG take the initial heat vs bammer, but then let Bailey play as early as seemd logical.

Where we disagree - starting (bad) JG
Give the Sophs a chance - JP has PROVEN he is NOT the answer
Hell, even Brent Hubbs agrees with that

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 05:25:42 EDT »

You still see 6 wins after today? Damn, where?

volsboyinsodak
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 01:58:14 EDT »

On this board, someone pointed out that this was a burner year and we might use it as an extra spring practice... which I agreed with that. So I would do a lot of 3 and 4 games of 4 assuming you can play a player extensively in 4 games and still not burn their redshirt. I held my breath and exhaled the first two games when they started JG in opposition to this aforementioned sound strategy. We are obviously not the only team with issues as demonstrated in the first two games. Not too late to get some very good use out of this season in anticipation of the future.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 02:36:27 EDT »

Good question. I love JG. He's a tough kid who has been through a ton. And he should never take another snap.

If Bailey starts everyone transfers in the offseason. I don't care. In year 4 you have to win.

Do what's best for year 4. I think that's letting Shrout and Mauer battle against Bama and going from there. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 02:40:21 EDT »

I am not happy with the effort the players had yesterday. as in there was none.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 04:03:35 EDT »

Bailey.

Mauer is going to be in the transfer portal this week, and Cheney doesn't like Shrout one bit.  He's likely go be in the transfer portal at years end as well, with dual threat kid from Texas coming in, whom both Cheney and Poot are said to love. 

The biggest change that needs to be made it with our QB coach.  He's not made one QB better during his time here, and I don't care if he has a Heisman Trophy at his house or not. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 04:16:52 EDT »

Disagree in part my friend

As I noted yesterday Bailey just isn't ready (a combination of a lot of factors, the freaking virus and his contact quarantine being the primary reason, cost him spring practice and significant time in fall practice).   That was very evident in his series in garbage time yesterday.  I did like that they started that series with a lot of 1st team personnel to give him a feel of the speed

For bamer I would play Shrout and/or Mauer (don't really care which but if healthy I lean to Mauer if his colour blindness has improved)

Sunday after the bamer game run another scrimmage like they did last Sunday
Then give Bailey ALL the 1st team reps through the open date and the following week.  Then start him the rest of the year.

Oh, and I posted yesterday that I'm on board with firing Wienke (IMMEDIATELY), for the reason you cite.
We have 2 coaches on staff that can coach QBs the rest of the year, and know, despite how he might believe he is, one of them is NOT Pruitt!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 04:26:18 EDT »

Disagree in part my friend

As I noted yesterday Bailey just isn't ready (a combination of a lot of factors, the freaking virus and his contact quarantine being the primary reason, cost him spring practice and significant time in fall practice).   That was very evident in his series in garbage time yesterday.  I did like that they started that series with a lot of 1st team personnel to give him a feel of the speed

For bamer I would play Shrout and/or Mauer (don't really care which but if healthy I lean to Mauer if his colour blindness has improved)

Sunday after the bamer game run another scrimmage like they did last Sunday
Then give Bailey ALL the 1st team reps through the open date and the following week.  Then start him the rest of the year.

Oh, and I posted yesterday that I'm on board with firing Wienke (IMMEDIATELY), for the reason you cite.
We have 2 coaches on staff that can coach QBs the rest of the year, and know, despite how he might believe he is, one of them is NOT Pruitt!

I agree with all of this. I wouldn't risk getting Bailey hurt next week, that's too much of a risk and would be catastrophic. Wenke needs to go, he hasn't made any impact on the QB's at all

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: