VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 09:44:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I went back and watched the tape this morning  (Read 1856 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2020, 03:36:50 EDT »

A few observations
The OL did, in fact, play well.
Yes there were occasional individual breakdowns (Morris whiff for a sack, Kennedy a breakdown or 2, etc) but they blocked and blocked well
On the TD drive they were dominant
Our best OL rotation at the moment includes Cade at RT.  We get Carvin back at RG and we are set except for LT
Morris, for whatever reason isn't up to his standard yet.  We played at least 3 at LT (including Cade) and none played that well

RB:  Still go down far too easily and there were 2 outright DROPS on outlet passes that cost us drives
Gray is the better of the 2 and it isn't close

WR:  Palmer had a bad, bad day, still believe the 3rd pick was on him, very, very weak and slow coming out of his break at the top of the route; Keeton flashed but then had a stupid, stupid penalty that cost us.  Of the starters I felt that Johnson was the best.
I do believe we have to bite the bullet and let the kids have more gametime.  Frankly, they can't be worse

QB:  JG maybe does provide the intangibles that fans can't normally see like getting in or out of good/bad plays but he isn't consistent in it nor is he consistent at all in playing the position.  If you can stand it, go back and watch the series with the 2nd pick 6.  JG demonstrates the good and bad on the series, in spades.  Early on, he is patient, goes through his progressions (you can literally follow them on one play) and looks like a skilled QB.  At other times he just flat ass locks down on one receiver come hell or high water, like the 2 pick 6s.  The first was just a lazy ass'd throw as Tillman is open for a 1st down if just throws a pros style out pass instead of the inside changeup he threw.
On the 2nd pick the route structure was similar to an earlier in the drive completion to Johnson down the left hash.  2 major differences:  On the first MOTION and defense (I believe they screwed up the coverage) allowed Johnson to get open.  On the 2nd KY was essentially in a 2 deep zone and JG either didn't recognize it or decided  that no matter what, as it was successful the previous time he was throwing it to Johnson.  I tend to believe the later based on the throw.
HOWEVER - What I WILL NOT excuse is the TOTAL LACK OF EFFORT by JG post the pick - In short, he just stood around and half-assed attempted to get near the returner -- should be BENCHED for that alone!
He looked a bit like a pinball near the goalline but at least pinballs get HIT by the flippers!  ZERO (0) EFFORT to get to the ball carrier!
You can safely conclude that I am DONE with JG at QB

Defense:
The DL (and OLBs) are good.  Barron is getting a baptism by fire and while he may not be doing well he is, for the most part, not playing badly.  
Bennett and Johnson are clearly our best OLBs with a clear drop off after those 2.
The interior line is essentially multiple plug and play parts that do clog up the middle
Henry T is very good
We were hurt badly yesterday by the injury to Banks.  Crouch is better in the passing game but Banks is far superior in the running game.  There is zero depth behind 27 and 11 now.  
The secondary is shizzle.
The safeties flash at times but the rest only flash bad.
BTW, if Wilson had recognized the defense we were in a play or 2 before the FG they could have waltzed in for a TD
We essentially had only Crouch behind the LOS.  There was nobody else between the DEs behind the LOS.  I saw it ingame and went  

The good news yesterday?  We ere 2 for 2 in 4th down conversions - yeah!

I leave you with one question:  I see GA playing a TRUE FR WR (7) and he is playing well.  Our FR receivers (except for Hyatt at times) are not getting on the field.  Is it it just a question of that large a tallent difference in recruiting or just poor coaching?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:45:35 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:58:55 EDT »

You deserve a pat on the back for going back and watching that slop again.  We were traveling home from Duke, so I only saw the last quarter and a half.  Had to listen to Kesling on SiriusXM prior to that.  I DVRed it, but really have no desire to go back and watch it. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 06:15:12 EDT »

Wh I didn't like Chaney the 1st time and didn't like him coming back....We showed on our LONE TD that we could run the ball and as you said our OL was doing a good job....What did Tard Chaney do, he went pass happy and 3 and outs....We had plenty of time left in the game but Chaney did what he always does...tries to make ALL PROS out of his QB. Pruitt in his post game in a round about way threw Chaney under the bus. Pruitt is a defensive coach and has admitted he doesn't know much about offense....At some point (if he's here long enough) he needs to get a OC that plays today's offense...which is scoring points. We JUST SCORED 7 points......AGAINST KY!!

I've watched that second pick 6 several times....The KY player INT the ball on the KY 15 yard line...It wasn't a out route that he INT with noting but green grass to the end zone...it was pretty center of the field and we didn't have anyone that could could run him down going 85 yards the other way?!! Gitmo did everything he could to AVOID contact....I've seen punters and kickers give much better effort on trying to tackle a returner.

I hope I see the day that we have DB's that can actually cover....We could play Maryville High School and couldn't stop the slant...nor could we have a DB within 10 yards of a receiver on any route when they catch the ball.

I was disappointed in the effort yesterday...in some ways it was like the Ga State game....We looked like much of the game that we wanted to be anywhere but in Neyland stadium playing a football game.....This is Pruitt's MO in a lot of games..not having the team ready. KY came in 100% prepared and ready.

I can take a lot of things....I can take getting beat downs right now by UGA....Bama. But I can't take letting a KY team come into our house and whipping our asses like they did yesterday in Pruitt's 3rd year.

And...what happened to Banks?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 06:52:21 EDT »

Looked like a knee injury live
He never returned, Couch played every snap post the injury till garbage time

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 08:52:17 EDT »

Not only did the team quit, the offensive coaching staff quit. 

How can JG be "our best chance to win" and at the same time we very obviously pack it in around the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. 

Chaney can't seem to change course midgame..  When the game plan doesn't work or can't work (because of the sudden hole we were in), we have nothing else. 

It's disappointing to see the team quit.  It shouldn't happen, but they are college age young men and they're emotional sometimes... So I KINDA understand.. I don't excuse it but, it happens.  What I cannot for the life of me understand is how or why the coaches quit.  The play calling in the 2nd half showed no desire to even try to win.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 09:15:29 EDT »

Not only did the team quit, the offensive coaching staff quit. 

How can JG be "our best chance to win" and at the same time we very obviously pack it in around the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. 

Chaney can't seem to change course midgame..  When the game plan doesn't work or can't work (because of the sudden hole we were in), we have nothing else. 

It's disappointing to see the team quit.  It shouldn't happen, but they are college age young men and they're emotional sometimes... So I KINDA understand.. I don't excuse it but, it happens.  What I cannot for the life of me understand is how or why the coaches quit.  The play calling in the 2nd half showed no desire to even try to win.

Chaney gets his game plan blown up and he's done.....And we scored 7 points running it down KY's throats....We should have continued to do that...KY wasn't going to stop us much doing it. That is NOT Chaney's MO....he wants to make All-Americans out of his QB's
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 02:52:53 EDT »

I had to work yesterday and couldn't watch the game.. I was checking in from time to time on my phone.
A coworker asked, when it was 34-7 "wth is going on with Tennessee?"
I had no clue. My first and only thought as to why this happened was to say..
"Guantanamo must have screwed the pooch" Not knowing about the 3 turnovers and 2 pick 6's yet.
This is a 5th year senior qb, not a freshman.. After 5 years at a major college football program with a rich football history and top notch facilities, this is all we have to show at qb??
Hell I'd dig up my granny and dress her in pads and roll her out on the field before I'd put his sorry ass out there again..Have seen this train wreck WAY too many times. The ending never changes  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:07:52 EDT by crockettman » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 03:37:00 EDT »

I had to work yesterday and couldn't watch the game.. I was checking in from time to time on my phone.
A coworker asked, when it was 34-7 "wth is going on with Tennessee?"
I had no clue. My first and only thought as to why this happened was to say..
"Guantanamo must have screwed the pooch" Not knowing about the 3 turnovers and 2 pick 6's yet.
This is a 5th year senior qb, not a freshman.. After 5 years at a major college football program with a rich football history and top notch facilities, this is all we have to show at qb??
Hell I'd dig up my granny and dress her in pads and roll her out on the field before I'd put his sorry ass out there again..Have seen this train wreck WAY too many times. The ending never changes  

It's coaching malpractice.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 10:44:02 EDT »

Wh I didn't like Chaney the 1st time and didn't like him coming back....We showed on our LONE TD that we could run the ball and as you said our OL was doing a good job....What did Tard Chaney do, he went pass happy and 3 and outs....We had plenty of time left in the game but Chaney did what he always does...tries to make ALL PROS out of his QB. Pruitt in his post game in a round about way threw Chaney under the bus. Pruitt is a defensive coach and has admitted he doesn't know much about offense....At some point (if he's here long enough) he needs to get a OC that plays today's offense...which is scoring points. We JUST SCORED 7 points......AGAINST KY!!

I've watched that second pick 6 several times....The KY player INT the ball on the KY 15 yard line...It wasn't a out route that he INT with noting but green grass to the end zone...it was pretty center of the field and we didn't have anyone that could could run him down going 85 yards the other way?!! Gitmo did everything he could to AVOID contact....I've seen punters and kickers give much better effort on trying to tackle a returner.

I hope I see the day that we have DB's that can actually cover....We could play Maryville High School and couldn't stop the slant...nor could we have a DB within 10 yards of a receiver on any route when they catch the ball.

I was disappointed in the effort yesterday...in some ways it was like the Ga State game....We looked like much of the game that we wanted to be anywhere but in Neyland stadium playing a football game.....This is Pruitt's MO in a lot of games..not having the team ready. KY came in 100% prepared and ready.

I can take a lot of things....I can take getting beat downs right now by UGA....Bama. But I can't take letting a KY team come into our house and whipping our asses like they did yesterday in Pruitt's 3rd year.

Agree with a lot here.  That TD drive was a thing of beauty, and the only bright spot in the game, really.  Agree that we should have stuck with the run.  In fairness though, JG did dig us a pretty deep hole.

I was at my folks place in Knoxville and they don't have the SEC network, so I was watching on my phone DishTV app but mostly listening the the radio with my folks, and at the end of the game, Tim Priest (who unlike Keisling I have a great deal of respect for) said "somehow a 235 lb linebacker ran 85 yards for the TD, how does that happen?", and I had to laugh even though I was of course very pissed about the game.  That is inexcusable. I may force myself to go back and watch that one.  I mean maybe he just caught it a the perfect spot on the field, but as Tim not so subtly suggests, there was a lack of effort to tackle the guy.  Tackle him right away, or even after 20 yards, it's probably a different ball game.

One particular thing I noticed about Chaney, it was either the first or second series of the second half, the game was still in reach at the time, but we ran pretty well, got a first down or two, then ran for four yard on second down and then I hear Keisling say "Guarantano is in the shot gun", and I'm like WHY??? WHY IN THE HELL IS THAT #badword# TRYING TO PASS NOW?  Sure enough, we gave up a long sack, and it rapidly went downhill from there.  shizzle we just ran for four yards after running it down their throat late in the 2nd half, and.JG.is.in.the.shotgun.passing.on.2nd.and.6!!!  And he threw two pick sixes in the first half!   

This was  a big stinking pile of shizzle , and Pruitt has some shoveling to do.  JG needs to be the first turd in the shovel.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 11:17:12 EDT »

You say the OL played well. They probably did in all actuality. But it was KY. That makes a difference. Will they be able to block Bama?  The problem is people keep waiting for JG to turn into Burrow. It isn't happening.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:15:42 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: