VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:06:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Mathews: Cliff notes  (Read 1131 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2020, 07:32:40 EDT »

"You can learn a LOT by just looking at the Drive Chart"

2nd Half, Vols had ball for 4 drives - Kentucky had ball for 4 drives

"In the 1st 3 drives in the 2nd Half for the Vols = 12 Plays for 16 yards...that's IT!" (NOTE 4th drive for Vols was Bailey drive, which "caught a LOT of folk's eyes")

"In the 2nd half, Kentucky in 4 drives scored 17 points"

"Kentucky scored MORE POINTS in the 2nd half than the Vols actually GAINED in yards!"

JG simply does not have the awareness on the football field"

"EVERY turnover this year has been QB generated"

"More turnovers than points in the last 6 quarters"

"Our running backs can't seem to break tackles"

"There is no offensive identity"

"Defense is improving, but the offense doesn't do ANYTHING well"
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 10:51:22 EDT »

JG simply does not have the awareness on the football field

This.  I was telling a buddy Saturday night that JG has (by far!) the worst field presence of any QB I have seen at any level (by which I really mean college and pro). Seriously!  most good and even average to bad QBs seem  to have almost a sixth sense sometimes, but what they have is awareness of where the pass rush is going to likely come from and a sense of how long it will take to get there, and apparently way better peripheral vision. Over and over again I've watched him just stand there way too long (no issue with holding on to the ball if there is still a chance of completing one, but he doesn't move at all!, which is a big problem.)  Yes, even Brady sometimes gets pasted unawares, but its for more common that he senses (or times) the pressure and will move a bit to one side then complete the pass.  JG just stands there and gets hammered. No awareness, no timing, nothing.   He might as well hang a sign around his neck that says "please hit me!"

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 11:10:12 EDT »

JG simply does not have the awareness on the football field

This.  I was telling a buddy Saturday night that JG has (by far!) the worst field presence of any QB I have seen at any level (by which I really mean college and pro). Seriously!  most good and even average to bad QBs seem  to have almost a sixth sense sometimes, but what they have is awareness of where the pass rush is going to likely come from and a sense of how long it will take to get there, and apparently way better peripheral vision. Over and over again I've watched him just stand there way too long (no issue with holding on to the ball if there is still a chance of completing one, but he doesn't move at all!, which is a big problem.)  Yes, even Brady sometimes gets pasted unawares, but its for more common that he senses (or times) the pressure and will move a bit to one side then complete the pass.  JG just stands there and gets hammered. No awareness, no timing, nothing.   He might as well hang a sign around his neck that says "please hit me!"
I don't know. We unleashed Nathan Peterman on the rest of the world too. JG is our college version Peterman. Does that mean JG gets drafted?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 04:48:09 EDT »

I don't know. We unleashed Nathan Peterman on the rest of the world too. JG is our college version Peterman. Does that mean JG gets drafted?

College makes no sense whatever. They both played college obviously. Peterman got drafted because of what he did at Pittsburgh. There was only a very small sample of Peterman at UT. Far bigger sample on JG at UT.

So can you figure this one out yourself?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 10:05:26 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 04:34:01 EDT »

College makes no sense whatever. They both played college obviously. Peterman got drafted because of what he did at Pittsburgh. There was only a very small swamped of Peterman at UT. Far bigger sample on JG at UT.

So can you figure this one out yourself?

I know. I hate dissing JG. He has shown more guts and heart than we have a right to expect from anyone. It is not his fault none of the recruits are the guy either so far. This coaching staff has some 'splainin' to do.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: