VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 04:37:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We score 7 against KY and Pruitt fires the DL coach  (Read 2503 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:02:59 EDT »

"Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt has quickly moved on from defensive line coach and co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Brumbaugh. Sources tell Volquest that the first year Vols assistant was relieved of his duties on Sunday following Tennessee's 34-7 loss to Kentucky. "
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 07:15:29 EDT »

His development of JG was unacceptable.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 07:38:04 EDT »

Wondering if it's something to this than just coaching.....Just hired him on a 2 year contract at $625,000 per year. Didn't have a Spring....limited camp and fire him after 4 games? Doesn't add up. And we've got some good DL committed....Hope this doesn't effect those.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 12:48:14 EDT »

Pruitt sticking with JG so long reminds me of Fulmer keeping Sanders as OC until the heat got so strong that his own job was in trouble. This right here makes no sense firing the DL coach. Just when you think we have a good coach..
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 03:23:48 EDT »

So when is Chris Weinke's ass going to be headed out the door? 

If it's position performance based, then it's hypocritical of Poot to fire Brumbaugh but not Weinke. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 05:02:24 EDT »

Obviously Brumbaugh's exit had nothing to do with the offense, but.. it's a bad look.  I don't know what Brumbaugh could've done to get axed 4 games into the season.

I get the impression Pruitt doesn't care if something's a bad look or not.  He's too hard headed to care what people think.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 05:12:36 EDT »

Obviously Brumbaugh's exit had nothing to do with the offense, but.. it's a bad look.  I don't know what Brumbaugh could've done to get axed 4 games into the season.

I get the impression Pruitt doesn't care if something's a bad look or not.  He's too hard headed to care what people think.
Pruitt has been complaining about the DL since the start of fall camp
There has clearly been a disconnect between the HC and the DL coach
Also, Brumbaugh was Ansley's hire, they had worked together before
I guess Pruitt decided to cut bait now vs the end of the season, though I thought the change would have been better after next week's game, with the open date
We also don't know if there was a triggering event either Saturday, post game or during the meetings yesterday.  All that known is he was gone before practice last night

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 06:29:12 EDT »

Hopefully it allows Pruitt to go after Tosh Lupoi at the end of the season. He is an excellent recruiter, worked with him at Alabama, and currently maybe in a no win situation with the Atlanta Falcons as their DL coach.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 10:28:23 EDT »

Well...at least Pruitt is not afraid to make changes in his staff like Fulmer was.  Although Will Friend may be an exception.

On Brumbaugh, maybe part of it is that Pruitt wants more say in the defense again and thus ejected the "co-DC" with whom he may have had philosophical issues.  It does seem odd though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 05:28:55 EDT »

Our DBs have not improved....they can't cover a 1 legged grandmother....That's Pruitt's and Ansley's baby. So let's fire the DL coach 4 games in.

The next time JG throws a INT.....the kicking coach better watch his back.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 06:16:03 EDT »

Maybe Pruitt needs to go. Seems petty of him to fire DC. DC didn't cause them to score only 7 against KY.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 09:17:39 EDT »

Maybe Pruitt needs to go. Seems petty of him to fire DC. DC didn't cause them to score only 7 against KY.

Fire Pruitt, then what?  You'll be screaming about why whoever bargain bin coach we hire can't beat UGA, UF, and BAMA next year.   
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 09:20:15 EDT »

Fire Pruitt, then what?  You'll be screaming about why whoever bargain bin coach we hire can't beat UGA, UF, and BAMA next year.   

that seems to be the prevailing idea

11B4PJ3F7
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 11:02:52 EDT »

Fire Pruitt, then what?  You'll be screaming about why whoever bargain bin coach we hire can't beat UGA, UF, and BAMA next year.  
[/quote
No I don't want him fired. Maybe it's just time to admit he's not an elite coach and take what he can give us.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 10:22:06 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 11:07:14 EDT »

Well...at least Pruitt is not afraid to make changes in his staff like Fulmer was.  Although Will Friend may be an exception.

On Brumbaugh, maybe part of it is that Pruitt wants more say in the defense again and thus ejected the "co-DC" with whom he may have had philosophical issues.  It does seem odd though.
Or perhaps he's not afraid to throw his coaches under the bus. Or does he have no responsibility for their sad play? Losing to UK like that is a big no-no as far as career enhancements go. But I will go out on a limb and say wont lose to Bama by that much. Just a feeling.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 10:12:06 EDT »

Or perhaps he's not afraid to throw his coaches under the bus. Or does he have no responsibility for their sad play? Losing to UK like that is a big no-no as far as career enhancements go. But I will go out on a limb and say wont lose to Bama by that much. Just a feeling.

Throw them under the bus, fire them, whateer.  Not much difference really, is there? 

Actually a coach known for that is Johnny Majors.  He fired assistants left and right, and from I have heard could not get along with them either.  My opinion is that Fulmer, having survived Majors longer than most, went 180 deg the opposite direction, which was also a mistake.  You have to have balance about it like everything else.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: