VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 11:30:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry T's Instagram post has VQ in an uproar.  (Read 2653 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2020, 04:07:20 EDT »

Earlier this evening, he posted a picture of Bailey with fingers crossed.  It's been deleted now, supposedly, but it seemed to suggest that he wants HB to take over the QB role.

https://twitter.com/zachtnt/status/1318339518454530048?s=10
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 04:55:59 EDT »

Yeah...saw that on some other boards. If true..not the best thing to put out there if you are a player.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 07:14:48 EDT »

Yeah...saw that on some other boards. If true..not the best thing to put out there if you are a player.

I would agree with you...but at the same time, do we really need social media to tell us that players are taking sides? I mean, I don't think there's any doubt that team quit on Saturday because of QB play. You could see it. JG fumbles the ball because he's a bonehead...he's getting condolences on the sideline. JG throws a pick-six...a few less condolences. JG throws a second pick-six...nobody wants to be near him. And everybody — offense and defense — quit after that. Heck, Chaney even quit. I'm not happy with Chaney right now but his play-calling made it obvious he knew he couldn't do anything with JG at QB. I just don't understand Pruitt's stubbornness on this. I don't think Shrout is the guy to take the reins long-term, but why do you pull your back up after a single interception (on what was a terrible play call...why are we running that play on 3rd down with a back-up in the game who hasn't thrown a pass yet and a defense that is playing well?). Why do you not stick the true freshman in until the fourth quarter?

I'm just frustrated beyond belief right now with our entire freakin' coaching staff ... and even more frustrated that I had finally, after two years, pretty much bought in to what Pruitt is trying to do.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 09:53:20 EDT »

I would agree with you...but at the same time, do we really need social media to tell us that players are taking sides? I mean, I don't think there's any doubt that team quit on Saturday because of QB play. You could see it. JG fumbles the ball because he's a bonehead...he's getting condolences on the sideline. JG throws a pick-six...a few less condolences. JG throws a second pick-six...nobody wants to be near him. And everybody — offense and defense — quit after that. Heck, Chaney even quit. I'm not happy with Chaney right now but his play-calling made it obvious he knew he couldn't do anything with JG at QB. I just don't understand Pruitt's stubbornness on this. I don't think Shrout is the guy to take the reins long-term, but why do you pull your back up after a single interception (on what was a terrible play call...why are we running that play on 3rd down with a back-up in the game who hasn't thrown a pass yet and a defense that is playing well?). Why do you not stick the true freshman in until the fourth quarter?

I'm just frustrated beyond belief right now with our entire freakin' coaching staff ... and even more frustrated that I had finally, after two years, pretty much bought in to what Pruitt is trying to do.

Okay not disagreeing with much of what you say, but it's totally unfair and very inaccurate to say JG "fumbles the ball because he's a bonehead".  My God man, what game were you watching?  Chandler was the bonehead.  He thought it was a running play and tried to grab the ball away from JG.  Definitely not on JG!

The interceptions were different. I could have forgiven the first one, while not excusing it, but the second one was ridiculous.  Threw into double coverage, never should have even thought of throwing that ball so soon after the first pick six, which made it even worse.

Again, I do agree with most of what you say. Unquestionably the team quit.  I don't find it "unquestionable" (your word) that they quit because of JG, though I am sure it's a factor, but you can't hang it all on him.  That they quit (those that did, I am sure there were individuals that still gave full effort) is all on them.  Bad leadership may create a climate that leads to followers quitting, but that doesn't excuse them.

I also think you over the years are very quick to throw out accusations that the team quit. In some games, we moved the ball well and mostly defended well but had some bad breaks like turnovers and you would say "this team obviously quit", and I for the life of me don't see how you can get inside their heads to "know" that.  That's just me, I guess. 

To be clear, definitely not arguing that in this case, or say GSU last year, or Vandy or Mizzou in Pruitt's first year. From the product on the field, it was clear they quit in those games.  I'm just saying you seem to say that every time we lose almost.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 05:59:40 EDT »

Okay not disagreeing with much of what you say, but it's totally unfair and very inaccurate to say JG "fumbles the ball because he's a bonehead".  My God man, what game were you watching?  Chandler was the bonehead.  He thought it was a running play and tried to grab the ball away from JG.  Definitely not on JG!

I'm not even going there with the rest of your post because you're just doing what you do best: arguing for the sake of argument. But I am gonna address this point. Chandler was looking for the football because it WAS a running play. It was a called running play, so there's only one person on the field who knew it was going to be a change-up ... and that person was Guarantano, not Chandler. So, yeah, the fumble was on JG — as anyone who, you know, knows football has already pointed out.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:13:56 EDT »

Bottom line this team is coached like shizzle. Ask the players who should be starting QB and go with it. I bet they know better than the coaches who they would trust in there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:25:48 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 09:38:39 EDT »

I've seen games where the team quit, as distasteful as it is.. it happens.  I have never, ever seen a game in Neyland where it was so obvious that the COACHES even quit.  Before the 3rd qtr even ended, we had no interest even TRYING to move the ball.  Craziest thing I can ever remember in Neyland.

I can think of less than 10 real and true "gasp" losses in my lifetime, when you consider the opponent and the final score, which are just beyond any realm of acceptability...  and this is def. one.  At least most of the previous ones came when you knew the coach's tenure was either over or it was a foregone conclusion that he was gonna be gone.

Despite where our expectations were starting out with Pruitt, he's still managed to give us TWO of these losses and we just extended him!  I know firing him isn't the answer, but I'm just sick.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 10:22:17 EDT »

I'm not even going there with the rest of your post because you're just doing what you do best: arguing for the sake of argument. But I am gonna address this point. Chandler was looking for the football because it WAS a running play. It was a called running play, so there's only one person on the field who knew it was going to be a change-up ... and that person was Guarantano, not Chandler. So, yeah, the fumble was on JG — as anyone who, you know, knows football has already pointed out.

That isn't what the announcers on either TV or radio said at the time, and the blocking scheme and motion of all players other than Chandler made it evident it was a pass play.  But believe whatever you want, you are the only person I have seen put this on JG.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 11:26:50 EDT »

You're both correct, it was a RPO

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 06:18:48 EDT »

You're both correct, it was a RPO

Great point, but should have been clear to Chandler that JG had chosen to pass

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 06:23:15 EDT »

Great point, but should have been clear to Chandler that JG had chosen to pass
Frankly I think the play wa poorly designed and though Chandler was blamed I think JG share it because he pulled up to pass far too early.
Also, the run was apparently a right handoff and the pass to the left, kinda STUPID IMO

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 06:26:39 EDT »

Frankly I think the play wa poorly designed and though Chandler was blamed I think JG share it because he pulled up to pass far too early.
Also, the run was apparently a right handoff and the pass to the left, kinda STUPID IMO

I'm just going to choose to rely on Tim Priest and Gary Danielson, they know more about football than me.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 07:00:36 EDT »

I'm just going to choose to rely on Tim Priest and Gary Danielson, they know more about football than me.   

Gary Danielson? Last week's game was not a CBS broadcast.  But since you choose to rely on "the experts," you can go replay the ESPN broadcast if you like...pay attention to the part where the expert color commentator places the blame on Guarantano.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 07:07:17 EDT »

Gary Danielson? Last week's game was not a CBS broadcast.  But since you choose to rely on "the experts," you can go replay the ESPN broadcast if you like...pay attention to the part where the expert color commentator places the blame on Guarantano.

Fair enough.  And good catch. I didn't actually listen to the TV guys, thought I did, but Priest definitely put it on Chandler. I will listen to the broadcast.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 07:37:08 EDT »

So CW, I did go back and watch it again, and there were actually two comments by the ESPN color guy.  One before the commercial break and one after.  I did actually listen to it on my phone during the game after the commercial break, as I now recall, because ESPN did a lousy job of showing the fumble prior to the commercial. 

Before the commercial "the color guy" (aka Jordan Rogers) says "it just slipped out of Gurantano's hand", but after the commercial he realizes that it was actually Chandler knocking it out.  Now, he also says that it was a run play that Guarantano changed to a pass, and Chandler didn't realize it.  He then adds "if a QB is going to do that, he has to get out of the way of the RB".  So hearing that live, if you look at the video, JG clearly has the ball up near his ear ready to throw when Chandler tries to grab it.  So I think this is still more on Chandler than JG, which was my impression at the time and still is.  I can see that JG might have some responsibility, frankly we only needed two yards so why not just hand the ball off in the RPO play?   But Chandler actually extends his arms upward to grab the ball.  It's unfortunate, we had great momentum at that point.   

But yeah you got me on the Danielson thing.  I had watched bammer-uga later in the day and that threw me off.   

I'll also say this, I missed the first 8 minutes of that game, I came in a play before the Kentucky fumble stopped their second drive.  So up until now I didn't realize how well we moved the ball on our first drive.   We marched right down the field, and only a drop by Gray and a whiffed block (plus JGs COMPLETE INABILITY to sense any pass rush  ) stopped our first drive. 

Defense also played really well on those first two UK drives.  Take away the turnovers, and there is no reason we don't run them off the field.  It's sickening.....

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 08:57:55 EDT »

I think Chandler's eyes were on the LOS looking for the hole. He was clearly expecting the ball, as I remember seeing it.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 09:04:09 EDT »

I think Chandler's eyes were on the LOS looking for the hole. He was clearly expecting the ball, as I remember seeing it.
he was

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 11:29:30 EDT »

Go back and watch it again.  His eyes were originally on JG and then he turned his head at the last moment.  JG raised his arms prior to Chandler grabbing at the ball and his arms clearly went up to respond to the motion of JGs arm.  IMO he should have recognized it as a pass.

But no big deal.  For whatever reason it was what started us down a dark path in that game, unfortunately. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: