VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 04:02:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After listening to Pruitt's post game press conference, I got to thinking....  (Read 1341 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2020, 05:09:47 EDT »

It seems to me that he's suggesting that some of the talented young players aren't giving enough effort in practice.  Maybe I'm reading his responses incorrectly, but that's what it sounded like to me.  My thoughts here aren't really directed at whether of not that perspective is correct, but how it could affect teams moving forward in the "transfer portal" era that I feel we are headed toward.  The NCAA has already tentatively approved a proposal that next August any athlete in any sport will be allowed a "one-time transfer" without having to sit out a year.  I fear that "free-agency" is right around the corner for college athletics.   

All of that is a lead-in to my point: it may become very difficult for teams to keep talented players who don't play because of their practice habits.  A 4 or 5 star player who enters a program and doesn't see the field because he isn't giving enough effort in practice could potentially just up and leave for other programs where he feels that he could play based solely on talent.  Coaches are not only going to have to recruit future players, they are going to have to re-recruit players on their current roster.

Just as an additional thought, I completely believe that playing time must be earned through effort in practice.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 05:22:58 EDT »

A lot of players could go 50-60% at practice in HS and look like they were going 110% compared to their teammates...When they get to this level the 50-60% doesn't cut it any longer and is a hard adjustment.........But, there are some great talents that aren't good practice players but are gamers when the lights come on. A coach has to be able to identify those types. Over the years I coached some kids that just didn't like practice but as coaches we had to push the right buttons on those players to practice right and they would get their reward when the game time arrived.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 05:45:58 EDT »

I completely agree. I coached for over 25 years and some kids are gamers. As a coach, though, you have to have "effort" from those guys in practice in order to give them significant playing time in games - they cannot be allowed to just go through the motions in practice. To do otherwise undermines your program, imo, and costs you in the long run.

Having said that, if transfers become automatic and without a loss of eligibility, I feel that it could make it much tougher for college coaches to instill that in athletes.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 03:13:31 EDT »

A coach's job is to win games. If he does something detrimental to that it's malpractice.

Corollary to that, if you want a guy to learn put him in a game that's out of hand. Then you have film of him getting beaten, and you can note this is why practice is important.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 09:39:38 EDT »

Not every player practices well. I hear many coaches and former players that swear by "you play like you practice". I never adhered to that or believed that was always true.
I believe that some players are game day players that may or may not be the best in practice. I do know that if you do not play well on Friday or Saturday, it will be the Coach that gets fired.
It should be obvious to all that JG is at his best in practice and forgets how to apply that during the game. If he is the best player for the job, then Pruitt needs a new job.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:29:30 EDT »

UT should have a backup QB prepared and ready to play. I don't disagree with that.

Some players are "gamers". I don't disagree with that either.

That being accepted, if a coach plays athletes that don't give effort in practice he is cursing his own program imo. I'm not talking about effectiveness in practice necessarily - some players perform well in practice and not games (cough, JG?, cough). To reward players with playing time, however, they must be giving good effort in those practices, film studies, etc. That's my opinion from personal experience.

My original post wasn't necessarily intended to address that that issue, though, so much as it was at the potential for turmoil that a revolving-door transfer policy could create for any coach demanding high effort from all players (those being given playing time as well as those who are not).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: