VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:13:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: With only 4 teams making the playoff, is it any surprise that the same  (Read 2346 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2020, 07:11:18 EST »

teams that are in it all the time are getting the best recruits? If you want to win a championship and get drafted why would you go to any other school if you are a 5* recruit? Makes it hard for all the other schools to compete. What is the solution? More teams? Do you really believe the 8th or 16th ranked team should be playing for a title. I like the 4 team scenario, with it being the 4 best teams regardless of conference. If it is expanded, I say we use the old BCS format and the top 8 ranked teams go, regardless of what conference they are in. Get rid of the committee.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 08:13:59 EST »

8 teams. 5 conference champions from the Power 5, 3 at large teams from anywhere.

BCS formula could work.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 08:55:52 EST »

Where does it end? I wasn't totally opposed to the idea of a playoff, but my biggest gripe all along was the inevitable expansions that would follow. We all knew 4 teams wouldn't be enough. In basketball we had 64 teams and that wasn't enough, so we expanded to 68 teams and now there are still people griping because they feel snubbed. We could expand the CFP to 16 teams and there would still be controversy, even though that's way too many teams.

I hate giving him any credit, but I still like Clay Travis' idea: four 16-team super conferences, with the conference championship games being de facto quarterfinal games.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 09:20:54 EST »

IMO it will go to a 8 team playoff in the near future.....And that's where it will stay for years, and should. Mack Brown did a interview a week ago on ESPN and said it needs to go to 8....He said the committee has proven a team like Cinncy has no chance right now to get in the playoffs and it's not right....I agree. He also said it's made most of the bowls a non factor and now teams are having players opt out of bowl games and he's right there too.

Since his interview UNC has had some opt out...one being Mack's stud running back.....They said yesterday Florida has had several opt out of the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma.....Four of Florida's starting WR's aren't playing plus a couple more players.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 10:46:37 EST »

Where does it end? I wasn't totally opposed to the idea of a playoff, but my biggest gripe all along was the inevitable expansions that would follow. We all knew 4 teams wouldn't be enough. In basketball we had 64 teams and that wasn't enough, so we expanded to 68 teams and now there are still people griping because they feel snubbed. We could expand the CFP to 16 teams and there would still be controversy, even though that's way too many teams.

I hate giving him any credit, but I still like Clay Travis' idea: four 16-team super conferences, with the conference championship games being de facto quarterfinal games.

For me it ends at 8. There is always going to be controversy. Like you said, even with 68 teams in the BB tournament you still have complaints and controversy. That won't end unless all teams are in, which I oppose. But I think 8 with the conference champions and 3 at large teams would make it more interesting and give the Group of 5 a slim chance, whereas now they have none.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 11:43:20 EST »

For me it ends at 8. There is always going to be controversy. Like you said, even with 68 teams in the BB tournament you still have complaints and controversy. That won't end unless all teams are in, which I oppose. But I think 8 with the conference champions and 3 at large teams would make it more interesting and give the Group of 5 a slim chance, whereas now they have none.

That's the best possible scenario IMO

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 12:34:45 EST »

Or let the P5 have their championship and the G5 have their own.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 06:28:39 EST »

8 teams. 5 conference champions from the Power 5, 3 at large teams from anywhere.

BCS formula could work.
What makes you think being a conference champ from a weak conference makes them better than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place SEC team? What if an 8-4 teams wins their CCg. Should they be in? I am for the top 8 ranked teams and use the old BCS formula. Conferences be damned. I want the 4 or 8 best teams . Period.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 06:59:02 EST »

What makes you think being a conference champ from a weak conference makes them better than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place SEC team? What if an 8-4 teams wins their CCg. Should they be in? I am for the top 8 ranked teams and use the old BCS formula. Conferences be damned. I want the 4 or 8 best teams . Period.

Yes, that's the problem with the conference champions. One of them might not be better than an SEC team. And, one of them might be a slug that gets lucky in the CG. That's why one of the at large teams could be the CG loser or a left out SEC team.

But if you don't use the conference champions you have to pick all eight teams by committee or BCS-like formula. I don't trust the committee but the formula thing might work.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 07:20:12 EST »

There is no magic formula.  Never will there be consensus on the best 4 (or 8) teams. 

Taking all five on the P5 conference champions gives every team in those conferences a chance to get into the playoff.  This puts in on the players and coaches  to win it on the field (where I think it should be won).  I think the sixth team should be the highest ranked team not in the P5 conferences.  I think that the last two spots could be filled by the two highest ranked teams that were not already in the playoffs.

Even this brings human error into the selection.  Three teams will be determined by polls, formulas, etc.  Short of creating 8 conferences I don't like any of the other options.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 07:29:57 EST »

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 08:13:41 EST »

I liked Nancy. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 11:08:23 EST »

Clay stole that from me

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 03:15:22 EST »

Just read this on the other board. I knew that it was bad, but this was worse than I would have thought.

Bama, Clemson, and OSU have won 17 of the 21 playoff games that have been played. LSU won 2, UGA 1, and Oregon 1.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 05:43:36 EST »

you will not get the 8 best teams doing that.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 05:57:42 EST »

Just read this on the other board. I knew that it was bad, but this was worse than I would have thought.

Bama, Clemson, and OSU have won 17 of the 21 playoff games that have been played. LSU won 2, UGA 1, and Oregon 1.

It's horrible.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 06:16:24 EST »

Conference championships use to be the focal point of college football discussions and now they are hardly mentioned on ESPN and other media outlets. Truly sad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: