VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 08:55:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulmer to retire  (Read 3113 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2021, 06:36:50 EST »

upon the hiring of a new AD

Looking for a current AD
I hope they look at John Gilbert

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:41:57 EST »

Genuinely know nothing about Gilbert. I'd be fine with David Blackburn.

Gerald Harrison should get an interview, but is probably too young.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 07:26:46 EST »

https://ecupirates.com/staff-directory/jon-gilbert/2557

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 07:52:10 EST »

Thanks Pirate! I'm a big fan of his football hire at ECU (Mike Houston).

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 08:03:29 EST »

Thanks Pirate! I'm a big fan of his football hire at ECU (Mike Houston).
Despite working for Dave Hart he did some good things here as well

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 08:09:22 EST »

Despite working for Dave Hart he did some good things here as well
Gerald Harrison at Austin Peay might be another choice
Tennessee grad and spent a number of years at Duke

Another might be Mark Ingram, currently at UAB who has 2 degrees rom Tennessee, played football at Tennessee and was in the AD here for a bit

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 08:15:02 EST »

I've seen Ingram's name bandied about, and remember when he snapped. Has he made any hires of note? It appears football is going well down there.

I liked Harrison's hire of Will Healy, now at Charlotte.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 08:19:24 EST »

Ingram brought football back at UAB

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 08:23:49 EST »

Ingram would be a good choice....And bring his FB coach with him. Might be the best we can get right now.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 09:34:19 EST »

Seems like a great choice

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 10:12:13 EST »

I remember when the idea of Fulmer being AD was floated years ago, and I supported the idea despite many here objecting.

I was def. wrong.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 10:17:53 EST »

I remember when the idea of Fulmer being AD was floated years ago, and I supported the idea despite many here objecting.

I was def. wrong.
I am afraid I was in the same boat sir

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 10:54:08 EST »

I've said and posted many times over the last 3 years....Hiring Fulmer back as the AD was the most dysfunctional thing I have ever seen a organization do...Ever!
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 11:02:58 EST »

Even though Fulmer isn't implicated in the alleged violations, I can't help but feel that he has permanently tarnished his legacy at this university.

I wasn't a fan of the Fulmer hire as AD, and I was certainly a fan of his termination back in '08. I still feel he did UT a disservice by staying too long, and I also feel that Johnny Majors' claims were more than just sour grapes. But as someone who cut my teeth as a CFB fan in the late '80s and the '90s, I'll always have fond memories of the Fulmer era. He should've ridden off into the sunset after the '07 SECCG and let that be the end of it.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 11:14:56 EST »

Completely agree Creek

wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 12:11:30 EST »

Even though Fulmer isn't implicated in the alleged violations, I can't help but feel that he has permanently tarnished his legacy at this university.

I wasn't a fan of the Fulmer hire as AD, and I was certainly a fan of his termination back in '08. I still feel he did UT a disservice by staying too long, and I also feel that Johnny Majors' claims were more than just sour grapes. But as someone who cut my teeth as a CFB fan in the late '80s and the '90s, I'll always have fond memories of the Fulmer era. He should've ridden off into the sunset after the '07 SECCG and let that be the end of it.

We say what he should have done. After the fact. That’s easy. The truth is  all of us would have done just what he did. When you accomplish what he did, you will believe you can do it again.
Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 12:23:59 EST »

We say what he should have done. After the fact. That’s easy. The truth is  all of us would have done just what he did. When you accomplish what he did, you will believe you can do it again.

Of course we would've. Ego is a powerful thing. But once you remove ego from the equation, I'm not sure hindsight was needed to know that resigning was the best for all involved. I said in '07 that I wished he would go ahead and resign. Because, if you remember, that season wasn't exactly a thrilling success. We backed into the SECCG (and would've beaten eventual national champ LSU if not for two pick-sixes by Ainge), but we should've lost to Vandy, needed four OTs to beat UK, and also needed OT to beat South Carolina (but USC was good that year). Struggled against Arkansas State. Maybe the highlight of the season was thrashing UGA. But we lost to Alabama and Florida by a combined 100-37, and to me those 2 games defined the '07 season, even then. The writing was on the wall that our biggest rivals had left us in the dust. If I remember correctly, it was after the conclusion of that '07 season that Vicky said Fulmer would like to coach for 8-10 more years before retiring to Montana. That seemed laughable at the time, considering Fulmer's days were clearly numbered at that point. Less than a year later, things ended the way they did. Hindsight is a powerful visionary but I believe a blind man could've seen that coming. If he gets out of the way just 1 year earlier, we probably don't wind up with Lane Kiffin, which means we don't wind up with Dooley, which means we're not sitting here in 2021 on the verge of scholarship restrictions and a postseason ban and wondering what joker is going to want to take over this cluster.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 04:47:31 EST »

I'm on the other side of the Fulmer debate.  Simply because FSU went the route of letting Bowden bumble around a few extra years and eventually their transition went much more smoothly.

Let's look at decision making in coaching replacements at 4 schools that won the NC in the late 90s, those being Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee and FSU.

FSU chose to let their "legacy" stay on, and they got Fisher and another ship.

The other three went the house cleaning route, and have been disasters. Only Michigan has credibly returned to national prominence (unless you count the first half of 2016 for UT) but they infamously have been unable to defeat their major rival, or even win very many big games.

So let Fulmer stay another 2-3 years, and then hopefully he retires.  If not, in that 2-3 years plan more carefully for his replacement.

Hamilton, having just given Fulmer a (really stupid) extension in March 2008, was flat footed and unprepared to replace him.  Buy some time, plan the transition a bit better, we are all happier today I say.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 06:13:21 EST »

Fulmer should never have been AD to begin with. Being a VFL doesn't necessarily make you the best choice for an admin position. He has always been a devicive influence to UT athletics since he was fired as a coach.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 07:27:41 EST »

Maybe he could bring football back to UT.......

wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 08:10:17 EST »

Of course we would've. Ego is a powerful thing. But once you remove ego from the equation, I'm not sure hindsight was needed to know that resigning was the best for all involved. I said in '07 that I wished he would go ahead and resign. Because, if you remember, that season wasn't exactly a thrilling success. We backed into the SECCG (and would've beaten eventual national champ LSU if not for two pick-sixes by Ainge), but we should've lost to Vandy, needed four OTs to beat UK, and also needed OT to beat South Carolina (but USC was good that year). Struggled against Arkansas State. Maybe the highlight of the season was thrashing UGA. But we lost to Alabama and Florida by a combined 100-37, and to me those 2 games defined the '07 season, even then. The writing was on the wall that our biggest rivals had left us in the dust. If I remember correctly, it was after the conclusion of that '07 season that Vicky said Fulmer would like to coach for 8-10 more years before retiring to Montana. That seemed laughable at the time, considering Fulmer's days were clearly numbered at that point. Less than a year later, things ended the way they did. Hindsight is a powerful visionary but I believe a blind man could've seen that coming. If he gets out of the way just 1 year earlier, we probably don't wind up with Lane Kiffin, which means we don't wind up with Dooley, which means we're not sitting here in 2021 on the verge of scholarship restrictions and a postseason ban and wondering what joker is going to want to take over this cluster.

We did not get better by getting rid off Fulmer. look at the record since he left. He had two losing seasons in 15. half of the 12 seasons since we got rid of him we have lost more than we won.
Creek Walker
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 05:57:09 EST »

We did not get better by getting rid off Fulmer. look at the record since he left. He had two losing seasons in 15. half of the 12 seasons since we got rid of him we have lost more than we won.

The administrative blunders don't negate the fact that change was needed. Two separate issues.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 02:04:36 EST »

The administrative blunders don't negate the fact that change was needed. Two separate issues.
The biggest issue for Fulmer his final year was the loss of Cut
Cut was THE discipline guy during the run in the 90s and the primary reason for the resurgence when he came back

Emeril and I had the opportunity hear Cut speak at the Birmingham alumni group be fore the bamer game the year he took off for medical issues and before he came back
I took two things from the talk:
1) Cut was (more than) ready to coach again
2) He was UNHAPPY with the lack of discipline and direction of the team

Also, for whatever reason the offense NEVER bought into the new offense that was installed that year. 
QB, RB and WR all looked lost that year - Tremendous change from the year prior.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2021, 02:49:41 EST »

Bingo. Getting rid of bad is always a good choice. Replacing it with just as bad is not helpful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: