VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 10:32:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So he was FIRED, as several of us suspected ...  (Read 1655 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2021, 11:30:55 EST »

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Athletics-Phillip-Fulmer-Tennessee-nearing-agreement-on-separation-package-159642388/

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:36:08 EST »

Per Brent Hubbs, the monthly payment will be $37,500 through 2023
So Fulmer's extension earlier this year was a nice Golden Parachute

Makes one go hmmm, when the timing of Fulmer and his hipbuddy Pruitt's extensions were agreed to, in SECRET

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 01:18:24 EST »

Of course he was fired....I posted 3 years ago when they hired him as AD this would end well.....It didn't.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 01:43:27 EST »

Of course he was fired....I posted 3 years ago when they hired him as AD this would end well.....It didn't.
What pisses me off is that he wanted us season ticket holders (as well as coaching staffs taking reductions) to contribute to "help save athletics" while giving himself and his hipbuddy raises in SECRET!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 01:51:13 EST »

As I've posted before, Fulmer should have worked for free this go-round if he had any contrition. His coaching buyout hamstrung us severely, though less so than making poor choices.

No way he should get a nickel this time. Do what Arkansas did with Bielema.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 02:06:14 EST »

It seems that Phil Fulmer is more about Phil Fulmer than he is about UT athletics.

If he is retiring, he shouldn't continue to be paid by the university.  I'm assuming that he has a pretty substantial retirement package from the state that he will be collecting in addition to this $500k/year.

If he was fired, it should have been for cause, just like Pruitt.  Whether he knew or not, wasn't it his responsibility to have known?
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 04:54:49 EST »

I agree with JeffCo that he should not be paid to retire and if he's being fired it should be for cause. But the outrageous part is the new contract he was given in the spring when UT was begging season ticket holders to convert their tickets to gifts for the Volunteer Fund to offset the covid financial losses means it's costing the university somewhere around an additional $1 million to can him. All the while we're being told that Fulmer is here because he loves this university and blah blah blah. If he truly loved the university and was serving out of the goodness of his heart, he certainly didn't need a contract extension that bumped up his buyout clause to 50% of his salary.

Only Tennessee. The housecleaning that's taking place right now needs to go well beyond the walls of the UTAD.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 02:24:53 EST »

Agree with JeffCo and Creek. I think this is worth a genuinely polite note to Boyd and Plowman, and I'm not the letter writing type.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 06:17:10 EST »

Paying him 450K a year for three more years after he gave himself a raise during the COVID is absolutely fizzleing ridiculous and tarnishes whatever is left of his legacy.

If he had any self respect at all, he would turn it down or accept less. 

I would be okay with half pay for this year only, then nothing at all for 2022 and 2023.

Or if he does get half pay for those years, then he should be given some responsibilities, maybe returning to his role as "ambassador for the University" or whatever.  Although that role is less compelling now I think, but still, put the SOB to work at least.

Definitely they should not be giving him anything at all for 2022 and 2023.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: