VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 04:23:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a question about the players heading to the portal.  (Read 1702 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2021, 04:00:14 EST »

It has been suggested by quite a few people on VolQuest (not the mods) that the reason a lot of these kids are jumping ship is because they will face sanctions if they remain at UT.

If an athlete took money to come to UT and it is proven through the NCAA investigation process, is that athlete not immediately ineligible at his new school?  I would not think it mattered where he was currently enrolled if it is proven that he took illegal payments when he came to UT.

Anyone know the answer?
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 04:23:41 EST »

Is this the new normal or is it just for this year because of Covid that players can transfer pretty much at will. If this is a permanent thing, that they can transfer freely then it will hurt college football. What's to keep schools from "recruiting" transfers? Hey, we need a QB. Why not influence/recruit a current QB to transfer here?

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 04:30:54 EST »

It was supposedly going to be "one-time" option, but I would be really surprised if it didn't become the norm - if it is allowed once.

Once you open the barn door, it is difficult to close, imo. 

I think that this will, if it happens, just be another really bad thing for college football - at least the type of college football that I've always known and loved.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 04:31:12 EST »

It has been suggested by quite a few people on VolQuest (not the mods) that the reason a lot of these kids are jumping ship is because they will face sanctions if they remain at UT.

If an athlete took money to come to UT and it is proven through the NCAA investigation process, is that athlete not immediately ineligible at his new school?  I would not think it mattered where he was currently enrolled if it is proven that he took illegal payments when he came to UT.

Anyone know the answer?
This was the point of my "what's common" question yesterday in another thread.
The players were all recruited by the Moose (see his girlfriend's deleted tweet last night)
They received impermissible benefits - that impacts their eligibility - for example Gray's issue for the aTm game was the dinner (so we were told), once he paid the cost back he would have been eligible, thus he would have been able to play a game if it was later in the day
Once the NCAA finishes their investigation and IF they determine they received impermissible benefits there could be suspensions involved (see Memphis BB last year or Auburn BB losing 2 players for the year 2 years ago)
Memphis essentially   the NCAA yet 1 cent just got a raise/extension.  Pearl still coaching and don't get me started on Wade at L$$$$$$$$$$$$$$U

My personal view is they were not discourage from interring the portal
See Gray's and Henry T's tweets

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 04:32:36 EST »

It was supposedly going to be "one-time" option, but I would be really surprised if it didn't become the norm - if it is allowed once.

Once you open the barn door, it is difficult to close, imo. 

I think that this will, if it happens, just be another really bad thing for college football - at least the type of college football that I've always known and loved.
the one-time option has NOT been approved by the NCAA yet, and then the SEC has to decide and act
These players would current transfer uner the existing rules and have to apply for hardship to play immediately

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 04:39:03 EST »

the one-time option has NOT been approved by the NCAA yet, and then the SEC has to decide and act
These players would current transfer uner the existing rules and have to apply for hardship to play immediately
Yes.  That is the reason I added "if it is allowed once" in my post.  I'm really hoping that it isn't allowed, although I don't see how they can not allow it after so many kids have jumped in thinking they will be eligible next year.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 04:42:10 EST »

This was the point of my "what's common" question yesterday in another thread.
The players were all recruited by the Moose (see his girlfriend's deleted tweet last night)
They received impermissible benefits - that impacts their eligibility - for example Gray's issue for the aTm game was the dinner (so we were told), once he paid the cost back he would have been eligible, thus he would have been able to play a game if it was later in the day
Once the NCAA finishes their investigation and IF they determine they received impermissible benefits there could be suspensions involved (see Memphis BB last year or Auburn BB losing 2 players for the year 2 years ago)
Memphis essentially   the NCAA yet 1 cent just got a raise/extension.  Pearl still coaching and don't get me started on Wade at L$$$$$$$$$$$$$$U

My personal view is they were not discourage from interring the portal
See Gray's and Henry T's tweets
OK, so if they were not discouraged from jumping into the portal, was that because they cannot be questioned by the NCAA if they are enrolled at another university?  I would not think that a transfer would prohibit the NCAA talking to them, but I don't know.

If they were allowed, at their new school, to make restitution and be eligible would they not also have had that option at UT?

I apologize for all of the questions, but I'm interested in the dynamics of these players leaving if it was indeed because of improper benefits.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 06:14:12 EST »

I think a player should be sanctioned as well as the coach.  Absolutely no question about it.  Whether the NC2A has the intestinal fortitude to do that is very debateable.

The only silver lining is that the Vols could also get players from the portal. Likely less talented ones, but at least we won't be limited to however few players are left.  Might have to do some dumpster diving but could at least restock.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 10:25:38 EST »

OK, so if they were not discouraged from jumping into the portal, was that because they cannot be questioned by the NCAA if they are enrolled at another university?  I would not think that a transfer would prohibit the NCAA talking to them, but I don't know.

If they were allowed, at their new school, to make restitution and be eligible would they not also have had that option at UT?

I apologize for all of the questions, but I'm interested in the dynamics of these players leaving if it was indeed because of improper benefits.
https://twitter.com/tallanmars/status/1352352591087337473/photo/1][img]https://twitter.com/tallanmars/status/1352352591087337473/photo/1

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 10:51:01 EST »

NCAA was to vote on the one time transfer last May but because of Covid they changed to voting on it until early 2021....I have not seen or read of a vote date. Back in the late Summer early Fall the NCAA was turning down transfers (like Cade Mays).....Then all of a sudden they did a lot of blanket approvals of transfer and leaving it up to the conference offices to approve.....Remember Cade Mays didn't get approved by the conference office until after our season started....The rule for grad transfers is different than underclassmen transferring in the portal like with us right now....Unless something has changed these transferring right now would have to sit for a year pending the vote....Hard to believe kids that are starters would transfer out and not be able to play until the Fall of 2022.

Former LVs basketball player Westbrooke transferred to UConn and she had to sit out last season....She will be playing tonight against the LVs.....IIRC if the NCAA put a school on probation with post season bans then players can transfer....Ole Miss had some transfer when the NCAA hit OM pretty hard....The Patterson kid who was the Ole Miss QB transferred to Michigan was was their starting QB for 2 years and didn't sit out....The more I read the NCAA rules on transfers the more confused I get.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 10:56:36 EST »

NCAA was to vote on the one time transfer last May but because of Covid they changed to voting on it until early 2021....I have not seen or read of a vote date. Back in the late Summer early Fall the NCAA was turning down transfers (like Cade Mays).....Then all of a sudden they did a lot of blanket approvals of transfer and leaving it up to the conference offices to approve.....Remember Cade Mays didn't get approved by the conference office until after our season started....The rule for grad transfers is different than underclassmen transferring in the portal like with us right now....Unless something has changed these transferring right now would have to sit for a year pending the vote....Hard to believe kids that are starters would transfer out and not be able to play until the Fall of 2022.

Former LVs basketball player Westbrooke transferred to UConn and she had to sit out last season....She will be playing tonight against the LVs.....IIRC if the NCAA put a school on probation with post season bans then players can transfer....Ole Miss had some transfer when the NCAA hit OM pretty hard....The Patterson kid who was the Ole Miss QB transferred to Michigan was was their starting QB for 2 years and didn't sit out....The more I read the NCAA rules on transfers the more confused I get.
There are NO rules, just what the NCAA feels like at any given instant

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 10:58:29 EST »

Ugh, that's right. In the case of sanctions, the players are often given a pass. I think we got one or two USCw players with Kiffin got hit with sanctions, which was nice.

But it looks like there isn't much the Vols can do to stop a mass exodus, though given how slowly the NCAA moves the "sancttions exemption" might not apply till sometime next year.

Again I think the only counter we have is that as these kids transfer, slots open up for others to transfer to us.  Hope we get quite a few from the portal ourselves and that they are talented.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 11:41:35 EST »

I think the NCAA punted and tabled the transfer vote/discussion until later this year. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: