VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 06:49:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Hank Aaron  (Read 1207 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2021, 04:57:39 EST »

Passed away this morning at 86.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/01/22/hank-aaron-has-passed-away/
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:32:24 EST »

A legend. Always handled himself with such dignity. He endured a lot of racism in 70's Atlanta with grace.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 05:33:02 EST »

That one hurts
Hammering Hank (with the fastest wrists in the West) was one of my favs

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 05:58:21 EST »

RIP Hammerin' Hank, RIP Fulton Co Stadium. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 07:26:49 EST »

I'm just barely old enough to remember when he broke the record. It was huge national news, I remember seeing it on the Today Show when (I think) Tom Brokaw was still the anchor along with Babwa Wawa. 

Baseball was so much bigger back then, and there was no bigger record than Babe Ruths career HR record.  Quite an accomplishment for Hank.

I don't respect the current record holders.  Between juicing the ball and juicing the players it's a very diluted accomplishment IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 07:30:17 EST »

I'm just barely old enough to remember when he broke the record. It was huge national news, I remember seeing it on the Today Show when (I think) Tom Brokaw was still the anchor along with Babwa Wawa. 

Baseball was so much bigger back then, and there was no bigger record than Babe Ruths career HR record.  Quite an accomplishment for Hank.

I don't respect the current record holders.  Between juicing the ball and juicing the players it's a very diluted accomplishment IMO.
I was in basic training

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 07:39:33 EST »

I looked it up, it was just Babwa Wawa.  I was 7. 

But they kept running the replay of the hR about every 15 minutes.  I can't see anyone making that big a deal about it nowadays.  Baseball has faded and the public is jaded thanks to Bonds and McGuire and other d*ckheads (likely) on HGH. 

I looked up the list, didn't realize that Rodriguez was fourth.  Always thought of him as more of a small hitter with great defensive skills (shows how much I follow baseball!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_career_home_run_leaders#:~:text=Barry%20Bonds%20holds%20the%20Major,is%20Babe%20Ruth%20with%20714.

But was he really ROIDriguez?  I suspect so, but who knows.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 08:19:00 EST »

I was 13 when he broke Ruth's record. I remember watching and freaking when the dude chased him around the bases. No kid that was a Braves fan could not have called Hank their favorite player. He was just SO classy. My dad was working on the World Trade center construction in the early 70's. We went to a Mets game against the Braves.  Willie Mays was playing for the Mets. I got both Mays and Aarons autographs after the game on their baseball cards I had. I cherish them to this day. They are framed and hanging in my office. When I kick the bucket I am going to leave one to each of my sons. I loved Mays and Aaron. The main thing about Aaron is how good he was after his prime. Look at how many homers he hit in his last 5 seasons. Pretty amazing.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hank+aaron+stats&oq=&aqs=chrome.1.69i59i450l8.758490628j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: