VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 07:59:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Names being discussed for next coach..........  (Read 3633 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2021, 02:42:07 EST »

.....Maybe. Who the hell knows these days? Some of these coaches float their names out there to get a raise or just to make sure everyone knows that they are out there.

But here is the scuttlebutt.  https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/report-tennessees-coaching-search-has-vetted-3-well-known-coaches-including-current-power-5-head-coach/?fbclid=IwAR2wSqJUsr0H-nS6cYKR1nVoQkY34jPasTT5QEBGHJLCVw7gtZG_WolQuss
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 02:55:53 EST »

.....Maybe. Who the hell knows these days? Some of these coaches float their names out there to get a raise or just to make sure everyone knows that they are out there.

But here is the scuttlebutt.  https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/report-tennessees-coaching-search-has-vetted-3-well-known-coaches-including-current-power-5-head-coach/?fbclid=IwAR2wSqJUsr0H-nS6cYKR1nVoQkY34jPasTT5QEBGHJLCVw7gtZG_WolQuss
if Brice is correct, underwhelmed
Elliott is intriguing and I see potential if he would real in Simpson
The other 2 = meh
Last years flavor of the month and SMU mush

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 03:05:53 EST »

Elliott is intriguing, but no to Dykes. Fleck may be good, but the dork factor seems high. Anyone who is overly emotional concerns me. You have to be even-keeled for long haul success.

Don't overthink it. We'll have some good options. However, if you're going to take a flyer go for Elliott or Bienemy.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:56:06 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 03:47:08 EST »

I definitely prefer Elliott.   

AD White talked about integrity and trust in his coach which is much needed today and I think Elliott delivers in these areas. They have a relationship while AD White was at UCF, they supposedly talked Friday night after his hire, and VQ is speculating another meeting between the two will be tomorrow.

Sure people will say he has no HC experience but 3 of the 4 last hires did have this HC experience and they all failed. I say sign him up, let him hire his staff, deal with the current team/portal, and start recruiting the 2022 class.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:42:38 EST »

None of them do much for me.  Elliot seems good, but I am soured on coordinators with no previous HC experience at the moment.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:12:42 EST »

None of them do much for me.  Elliot seems good, but I am soured on coordinators with no previous HC experience at the moment.

Same here. It seems like it's probably going to be Elliot. Maybe he'll work out, maybe he won't. It's not going to ramp up my enthusiasm any, and I'll continue to take a meh approach until he proves himself.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 02:59:10 EST »

The good news on Elliott is presumably he won't have the work and play well with others issues which plagued Pruitt. If he's moderately organized that should allow him to float at .500 worst case. Then it becomes a game of hiring good assistants, see Orgeron, Ed.

Anyone can have a top 20 recruiting class at UT. Development trumps talent when attempting to get to 8-4. Progressing from 8-4 to 10-2 takes talent.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 05:17:16 EST »

I just have a feeling that it’s not going to be any of these guys. Apparently White likes to leak misinformation during a search to throw people off the scent. And I think he’s been made aware of how any of those hires would go over with the fanbase.

I’ll go out on a limb and say it’s going to be Matt Campbell. You heard it here first.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 06:36:29 EST »

My gut tells me that nobody has any real information. Just from things I’ve read about DW.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 07:43:36 EST »

Word out now, from Clemson Rivals mods, is that Tony Elliott has not been contacted by UT.

This after Mike Ferrell announced that the job was Elliott’s if he wanted it.

In Ferrell’s defense, at least Elliott is a real person. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 07:58:59 EST »

Word out now, from Clemson Rivals mods, is that Tony Elliott has not been contacted by UT.

This after Mike Ferrell announced that the job was Elliott’s if he wanted it.

In Ferrell’s defense, at least Elliott is a real person. 

And this:

https://twitter.com/JayNich41723000/status/1353354481463926790?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1353354481463926790%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 09:18:08 EST »

https://twitter.com/austin_vols/status/1353367376394293248?s=21

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 10:00:08 EST »

If it is Elliot (and I still have my doubts), it will be an underwhelming hire. But we can't go full Schiano Sunday this time. Keep in mind that he just might be the best we can get right now. This isn't the most attractive job in the world at this point. Maybe he'll surprise us.

That said, he's still dog shizzle until proven otherwise.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 10:31:19 EST »

One positive this go-round is I think DW will at least contact everyone of note (Kiffin, Freeze, Chadwell excepted). And yeah those are big names to exclude, but there's talent available.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 06:19:57 EST »

Perfect.   

And to take it a step farther, when "she" (inevitably) leaves, large doses of penicillin follow 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 01:32:33 EST »

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 08:42:32 EST »

Is Elliott really better than any other option out there? Is he really a good OC? He wasn't until he had Watson and Lawrence at QB. Would he look that good if he had JG instead of Lawrence. I'd pass on him. It's easy to look good with the QB's they have had.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 08:48:07 EST »

Is Elliott really better than any other option out there? Is he really a good OC? He wasn't until he had Watson and Lawrence at QB. Would he look that good if he had JG instead of Lawrence. I'd pass on him. It's easy to look good with the QB's they have had.
Considering those were the two QBs for his time as the Clemson co-OC and OC time at Clemson, so want to quantify his OC capability?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 10:25:10 EST »

Considering those were the two QBs for his time as the Clemson co-OC and OC time at Clemson, so want to quantify his OC capability?

Yeah.  That's ALL he had.  If only they had not lived up to their potential. Oh wait.  They did.  I guess the troll will just have to go back under the bridge.   

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 12:41:21 EST »

Yeah.  That's ALL he had.  If only they had not lived up to their potential. Oh wait.  They did.  I guess the troll will just have to go back under the bridge.   
its the truth.  I guess he would have done just as well with JG. Like a lot of these other OC's that have a once in a lifetime player at QB and never do anything once that player leaves.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 12:47:07 EST »

They need to fill up a few  more of those McDonalds bags and pay a proven coach. Not a "he might be good someday" coach. Has the school not learned?

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 03:03:32 EST »

So according to Austin Price the whale was likely Franklin, but it looks like he’s decided to stay put at PSU.

White likely had meetings with several potential hires in Atlanta, but no names for sure (possibly Elliott and Dykes).
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 03:56:21 EST »

So according to Austin Price the whale was likely Franklin, but it looks like he’s decided to stay put at PSU.

White likely had meetings with several potential hires in Atlanta, but no names for sure (possibly Elliott and Dykes).

Happy for Franklin to stay at PSU

To the extent we can believe anything anyway 

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 05:24:27 EST »

I'm happy with no Franklin, and no Fleck, and no Malzahn, and no Herman.

Maybe we're getting into Napier territory now.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 06:18:14 EST »

I'd take Herman over 90% of the BS names being mention for the job right now.

32-18 at Texas 54-22 overall HC record....Won 4 straight bowl games at Texas including killing Georgia in the Sugar Bowl .... Recruiting classes of 4th...4th...8th. Wish we could have done that bad over the last 4 years..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: