VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:42:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This basketball team is broken  (Read 1325 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2021, 03:56:40 EST »

Not having Springer hurts, but there has to be more to it than that. They just look sluggish. When Pons is your biggest OFFENSIVE threat, then something is very wrong.

Figure it out and fix it.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 04:07:52 EST »

I don't know squat but here is what I think it is.

We have Kentucky syndrome. I think we have too many "star" players.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 04:17:14 EST »

I don't know squat but here is what I think it is.

We have Kentucky syndrome. I think we have too many "star" players.

That would make sense if they hadn't meshed so well earlier in the season. UK typically turns over most of their roster, struggles early and then figures it out as they get their rotations down. We're doing the opposite.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 04:56:33 EST »

Imo JJJ & Vescovi aren't very good. Fulky has over achieved and isn't the post presence we need.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 04:57:05 EST »

Just bad bad offense. We don't push the ball...we allow the other team to defend us. And we have no PG....Blonde it way too slow and can't create a shot off a dribble and defender. He's a 2 guard.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 04:58:22 EST »

Imo JJJ & Vescovi aren't very good. Fulky has over achieved and isn't the post presence we need.

Fulky has regressed....JJJ is way too passive. We have too many beta's.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 05:12:52 EST »

The book is out on this team, I'm afraid.

• Number 1, team speed is slow and we cannot defend any type of spread offense
  • Can't stop penetration
  • The 3 is opened when other defenders have to help.
  • There is nobody that can consistently penetrate and get to the rim to create for themselves or teammates.
  • No threat to score in the post.
  • Nobody is shooting it very well, especially from the 3 (except for SV and he has to catch and shoot to be effective).
  • These kids don't play well when the game is physical and other teams get in our grill.

Man, I hope that I'm completely wrong and this team turns it around.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 05:39:52 EST »

this is the first game I have seen more than a few minutes of this season.  My thoughts FWIW

1. We lost mostly due to a very slow start.  Played better starting about the 10 minute mark of the first half, but it wasn't enough nor was it consistent.
2. Viscovi was godawful tonight.  Numerous turnovers, missed four free throws in a row, couldn't shoot, couldn't defend. Honestly should have been benched, but maybe he's all we got.
3. Team was pretty sluggish, though as I indicate they picked it up a bit as the game went.
4. We covered their big guy well, but the double teams on him allowed Pinson and Andrews to burn us.  Did not adjust well to them.
5. Give Missouri credit.  They are a good team, probably one of the 4-5 best in the SEC.  I'm less concerned about losing to them, but Vols could have played much better.

My hope is that the last two games were a slump and we come out of it. Particularly Viscovi has to play a lot better than he did tonight.  He was terrible. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 06:18:39 EST »

The book is out on this team, I'm afraid.

• Number 1, team speed is slow and we cannot defend any type of spread offense
  • Can't stop penetration
  • The 3 is opened when other defenders have to help.
  • There is nobody that can consistently penetrate and get to the rim to create for themselves or teammates.
  • No threat to score in the post.
  • Nobody is shooting it very well, especially from the 3 (except for SV and he has to catch and shoot to be effective).
  • These kids don't play well when the game is physical and other teams get in our grill.

Man, I hope that I'm completely wrong and this team turns it around.

The physical part is 100% correct. Really surprising.

We've now lost 3 games without Springer playing.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 06:15:07 EST »

The physical part is 100% correct. Really surprising.

We've now lost 3 games without Springer playing.

Have yet to see him play.  Will be interesting to compare if and when I do.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: