VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 09:46:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oregon D stats and personnel  (Read 3001 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:42:24 EDT »

Oregon gave up 4.0 yards per carry last year.    They also allowed 21.6 points per game, which is not bad but it's hardly dominating.  Then again, name a Pac 12 D that is ever dominating? 

Also, they allowed 145 yards rushing to Virginia, who has a decent running back but was worse than UT last year.

As for their defensive personnel, they are pretty stout on the DL, but did lose a no. 1 draft pick.  The LB corps is rebuilding.

I'd say it looks to me like we can run some on them.  Of course, Worley is going to have to hit a few passes.  Likely that's going to be the key for us to go over 20 points.  Unfortunately they have a really good pass D, but we don't need to get 300 yards passing either.  Maybe 150-200 will be enough to keep them honest.

I know Worley looked really rough in the first half last week, but I hope he gets his stuff together and has a pretty good game. 

It will be fun to watch whatever happens.  For the first time since we lost to UK, I feel good about where the program is headed.  And I feel BETTER about where the program is headed since late 2007, or maybe even 2006.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 03:58:55 EDT »

Oregon gave up 4.0 yards per carry last year.    They also allowed 21.6 points per game, which is not bad but it's hardly dominating.  Then again, name a Pac 12 D that is ever dominating? 

Also, they allowed 145 yards rushing to Virginia, who has a decent running back but was worse than UT last year.

As for their defensive personnel, they are pretty stout on the DL, but did lose a no. 1 draft pick.  The LB corps is rebuilding.

I'd say it looks to me like we can run some on them.  Of course, Worley is going to have to hit a few passes.  Likely that's going to be the key for us to go over 20 points.  Unfortunately they have a really good pass D, but we don't need to get 300 yards passing either.  Maybe 150-200 will be enough to keep them honest.

I know Worley looked really rough in the first half last week, but I hope he gets his stuff together and has a pretty good game. 

It will be fun to watch whatever happens.  For the first time since we lost to UK, I feel good about where the program is headed.  And I feel BETTER about where the program is headed since late 2007, or maybe even 2006.   

With Oregon's defense you have to be very careful with how you view per-game stats. It makes a lot more sense to look at per-attempt or per-possession stats because Oregon scores so quickly, runs so many plays, and gives the other offense many more possessions than would happen for most teams. With that in mind I think 21.6 PPG is actually pretty stout, and 145 rushing yards isn't bad either.

We're going to have to avoid mistakes and hit a few plays in the passing game. I think we can run the ball some, but Oregon is going to score and we'll have to make some plays if we have any hope of keeping up. If Worley is finally going to get the timing down with his WRs, this is the week it will make a big difference.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:20:44 EDT »

the first half vs second half....I'm wondering if once they get a good lead if they begin to sub in the 2s and 3s liberally which would logically result in more yards surrendered. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 04:26:58 EDT »

Good points.   Last year Oregon gave up 4.9 yards per defensive play.  By contrast, we gave up 6.1 and bammer 4.2.   I really don't have a feel for that stat or what it means, but certainly they look above average just based on those numbers.

Additionally, they gave up 17.3 yards per point.  Generally the higher that is, the better the D, I guess, or maybe it says something about red zone D.  Ours was 13.2 and bammer's was 22.9.

I cite bammer because they had one of the top Ds, while we obviously had one of the worst.    I guess maybe that shows that if you can get it to the red zone Oregon can be scored on, perhaps.  I don't know, I have never paid much attention to these stats.

The scariest stat is that Oregon led the country in picks last year (26), and had 3 vs  UV.   OTOH, UVs QB is not so great and we had some picks of our own this season.  I hope we can get a turnover or three and some short fields.  That will help a great deal.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 04:52:52 EDT »

allow us to eat clock and move the ball, this should allow us to effectively pass. If we could do this and score TDs instead of settling for FGs and our D forced 3 or more turnovers and was able to prevent quick scores....we would have a game on our hands. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:18:00 EDT »

Problem is injuries have come up. Pig is not 100%, neither is J Johnson. Maggitt is likely not playing.

We're going to start 2 true freshmen and a soph at WR

We also have Couch ineligible now at DT, a position which was kinds thin at experience anyway. Saulsberry and O Brien have to step up. Carr will have to play.

The problems that happen to a team with poor depth is about to hit us. Good news  - Jacques Smith will play

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 05:19:03 EDT »

Problem is injuries have come up. Pig is not 100%, neither is J Johnson. Maggitt is likely not playing.

We're going to start 2 true freshmen and a soph at WR

We also have Couch ineligible now at DT, a position which was kinds thin at experience anyway. Saulsberry and O Brien have to step up. Carr will have to play.

The problems that happen to a team with poor depth is about to hit us. Good news  - Jacques Smith will play

Yeah, we're up against it.  Very poor timing on Couch.  But let's see how they respond.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 05:24:53 EDT »

Yeah, we're up against it.  Very poor timing on Couch.  But let's see how they respond.

Yep. DL play will be crucial against Oregon. If they don't disrupt some, it will be over quickly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: