VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 10:48:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for you outdoorsy types or hunters...  (Read 7014 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:00:29 EDT »

So I mowed the lawn a few weeks ago and noticed a yellow jacket nest hole in the ground.  I was careful to avoid it and planned to deal with it at a later time.  So I hadn't really thought about it any further.. one day I noticed a honeycomb type piece of a nest in the bed of my old truck that sits in the yard.  I couldn't figure out how it had gotten into the bed of that truck, as I drive it a couple of times a week so i know it hadn't set long enough to have a nest built on it.  So I hadn't really thought about that any further either.. until today.

As I'm preparing to mow I went to see if I could locate the nest in the ground I had seen a couple of weeks ago and much to my surprise I see a football-size hole in the ground with fragments of the yellow jacket nest laying around.

Does anybody have any idea what would have dug it up?  To my knowledge they don't produce any honey or anything like that so I didn't really think it would be a bear.  But what other critters would actually dig up a nest like that going after the little flying devils themselves?  This has me perplexed.   
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:04:46 EDT »

So I mowed the lawn a few weeks ago and noticed a yellow jacket nest hole in the ground.  I was careful to avoid it and planned to deal with it at a later time.  So I hadn't really thought about it any further.. one day I noticed a honeycomb type piece of a nest in the bed of my old truck that sits in the yard.  I couldn't figure out how it had gotten into the bed of that truck, as I drive it a couple of times a week so i know it hadn't set long enough to have a nest built on it.  So I hadn't really thought about that any further either.. until today.

As I'm preparing to mow I went to see if I could locate the nest in the ground I had seen a couple of weeks ago and much to my surprise I see a football-size hole in the ground with fragments of the yellow jacket nest laying around.

Does anybody have any idea what would have dug it up?  To my knowledge they don't produce any honey or anything like that so I didn't really think it would be a bear.  But what other critters would actually dig up a nest like that going after the little flying devils themselves?  This has me perplexed.   

HONEY BADGER!!!!!! 

Honey badger don't give a shizzle . . . it just takes what it wants.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:04:59 EDT »

Whatever it was, it was probably going after the larva.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TheRealOrange
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:29:55 EDT »

It could have been a skunk, racoon or even a possum (or opossum for those who prefer that spelling).   
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:47:28 EDT »

Definitely the honey badger... (NSFW language)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r7wHMg5Yjg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4r7wHMg5Yjg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TheRealOrange
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:07:11 EDT »

BTW, yes, bears will eat the yellow jacket larva also.  Lots of possibilities. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:20:41 EDT »

Well, I just mowed my yard with my handgun at my waist, even though Wikipedia says the Honey Badger is native to Africa, the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:25:53 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:23:26 EDT »

Definitely the honey badger... (NSFW language)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r7wHMg5Yjg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4r7wHMg5Yjg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Btw, LOL!   
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:24:09 EDT »

...my old truck that sits in the yard.

If there were any doubts about where you live...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:41:59 EDT »

DAMN NATURE, YOU SCARY!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y45xj38z4pI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Y45xj38z4pI</a>

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 02:56:35 EDT »

If there were any doubts about where you live...

W, it's not a jalopy.  I park it in the yard so I don't back into it sitting in the driveway (Like I did once).
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 03:27:58 EDT »

Like TRO said, could've been a number of critters.  Yellow jacket larvae are tasty, apparently. This time of year, in early deer season, I see them in the woods all the time that have been dug up. Bears, skunks, raccoons and foxes are the primary suspects.

Foxes get most of the ones around here. They can hike their bushy tail over their back and fan it out and stand there and fill their bellies while being swarmed by yellow jackets and yet not get stung many times. But skunks don't care to tear into a yellow jacket nest, either. They love the bees and the larvae is icing on the cake. Raccoons will eat them, but it isn't a preferred food for coons as much as it is for foxes and skunks.

I hate yellow jackets. We have a number of fruit trees so we always have yellow jackets nesting in the yard except on years where the fruit fails (like this year). Invariably, I'll drive my lawn mower over at least one nest a year before I see it. There's nothing that hurts like a yellow jacket sting...although a yellow hornet comes close.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 04:25:43 EDT »

Like TRO said, could've been a number of critters.  Yellow jacket larvae are tasty, apparently. This time of year, in early deer season, I see them in the woods all the time that have been dug up. Bears, skunks, raccoons and foxes are the primary suspects.

Foxes get most of the ones around here. They can hike their bushy tail over their back and fan it out and stand there and fill their bellies while being swarmed by yellow jackets and yet not get stung many times. But skunks don't care to tear into a yellow jacket nest, either. They love the bees and the larvae is icing on the cake. Raccoons will eat them, but it isn't a preferred food for coons as much as it is for foxes and skunks.

I hate yellow jackets. We have a number of fruit trees so we always have yellow jackets nesting in the yard except on years where the fruit fails (like this year). Invariably, I'll drive my lawn mower over at least one nest a year before I see it. There's nothing that hurts like a yellow jacket sting...although a yellow hornet comes close.

The thing about a yellow jacket sting is it's rarely just one.  Quick as you instinctively slap at first sting, 3 or 4 more get you.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:21:22 EDT »

HONEY BADGER!!!!!! 

Honey badger don't give a shizzle . . . it just takes what it wants.

Somehow I missed this before I posted the vid. Gotta love the honey badger!

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 05:25:15 EDT »

DAMN NATURE, YOU SCARY!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y45xj38z4pI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Y45xj38z4pI</a>

THAT THING COME BY MY HOUSE I KILL IT!

Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 05:04:12 EDT »

A random neighbor perhaps! Trying to mess with your head alittle!

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 06:30:33 EDT »

I'm fairly sure it was a skunk ape.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 07:08:13 EDT »

I'm fairly sure it was a skunk ape.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print