VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 06:27:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a question for you titans of industry...  (Read 6847 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 07:25:49 EDT »

So, the company I work for has two locations.. one is Knoxville and the home office is in Idaho Falls, ID. 

So the President of our company met with I.T. managers and basically said that he wants to make our company's I.T. Dept one of those companies whose perks make it a "destination" type stop for I.T. pros.

I found this link: http://mashable.com/2011/10/17/google-facebook-twitter-linkedin-perks-infographic/

I know that some of you are upper mgmt types, and Revolver I know you're an I.T. executive so I'm interested to know what you guys think.  It's an interesting position for me because I just arrived here two years ago and came into a much, much better position than I came from.  But apart from pay increases (which I will mention), I'm not sure what perks to even ask for.  Thoughts?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:17 EDT »

LOL I read it first at the VS and responded there.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:48:53 EDT »

LOL I read it first at the VS and responded there.

At first I just posted it here... but figured I'd throw it out to the VS too.  Don't tell them I said so but they are some pretty bright individuals, in general.   
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:50:51 EDT »

At first I just posted it here... but figured I'd throw it out to the VS too.  Don't tell them I said so but they are some pretty bright individuals, in general.   

There are a lot of really smart, successful people over there.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:25:41 EDT »

Being self-employed I have no idea what "perks" are. However, if I worked for someone else, I would like lots of vacation. Paid. And I would like the ablity to split it up since I take several long weekends to go to the beach.

I assume 401K, pension, retirement, whatever they call it these days is not a perk but part of the compensation. All of the things mentioned on the VS are good. I would, however, add one thing.

BMW
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:27:12 EDT »

Being self-employed I have no idea what "perks" are. However, if I worked for someone else, I would like lots of vacation. Paid. And I would like the ablity to split it up since I take several long weekends to go to the beach.

I assume 401K, pension, retirement, whatever they call it these days is not a perk but part of the compensation. All of the things mentioned on the VS are good. I would, however, add one thing.

BMW

BAH

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:34:05 EDT »

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:54 EDT »

That's an airplane propeller. 

(I actually love BMW's, I just fell in love with my Infiniti a little more.)

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:38:34 EDT »

1.  Relocate the home office.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 08:52:43 EDT »

My industry doesn't have perks. But if it did, the one thing that would attract my attention would be just what Droner said: vacation and lots of it. I read somewhere that the average Italian worker gets 42 days paid vacation a year. I could dig that.
10EC
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:56:26 EDT »

I read somewhere that the average Italian worker gets 42 days paid vacation a year. I could dig that.

And ironically, their economy is in the crapper.... 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:48:18 EDT »

Like was mentioned on the VS, anything to boost the work/home balance will be good.  Maybe more flex time (especially considering I'm on call 24/7), like a day or two a month that one can work from home.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 10:05:35 EDT »

BAH

Yes! Buy Infiniti...preferably new 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 10:06:22 EDT »

And ironically, their economy is in the crapper.... 

While ours is  thriving . . . 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:15:59 EDT »

Yes! Buy Infiniti...preferably new 

Only goobers, Nissan employees, and rich people buy new Infinitis. 

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 03:50:04 EDT »

Vinnie,

Time off to be with your family is the most important thing any person can have. Vacation for days off to be with my wife and son as he was growing up are the most precious memories and something I cherish as I am approaching retirement. Money is important, but days off to do things with your child or children is something that can never be replaced. My son and I were amusement park junkies and we drove all over the US to ride coasters. My wife went several times, but she hates coasters and said she would rather stay home. So we made last least one pilgrimage, sometimes two, a year to parks a day's drive. I do not ride coaster or go to parks anymore. When my only child died in a wreck eight years ago, it took my coaster buddy. I just cannot bring myself to ride one after he died. When I watch the shows on TV about the new coasters, I flash back to the good times and I get chest pains.

Vinnie, you and the wife need to travel. Do not wait to have good times later. Do not put it off by saying we will have all sorts of time to travel when we retire or later in life. Take time off from work to enjoy yourself. My wife and I have always taken one or two trips and vacations a year. Some were only 3-5 days, but we got away. We traveled with our son and tried to show him that you do not have to work all the time. Working is good, but if you cannot take time off, what good is working for a living? Our traveling days are suspended for now. Her kidneys have failed and she is on dialysis. We are not going to grow old together. And I am going to die a bitter old man.

So I can speak from experience. Extra vacations days are more important than money. Enjoying life with the ones you love is more important than work and is the most important and fulfilling thing anyone can do. For the past thirty years I have told my bosses that if I have to choose between my job or my family, the job will lose.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 04:29:45 EDT »

Vinnie,

Time off to be with your family is the most important thing any person can have. Vacation for days off to be with my wife and son as he was growing up are the most precious memories and something I cherish as I am approaching retirement. Money is importanjt, but days off to do things with your child or children is something that can never be replaced. My son and I were amusement park junkies and we drove all over the US to ride coasters. My wife went several times, but she hates coasters and said she would rather stay home. So we made last least one pilgrimage, sometimes two, a year to parks a day's drive. I do not ride coaster or go to parks anymore. When my only child died in a wreck eight years ago, it took my coaster buddy. I just cannot bring myself to ride one after he died. When I watch the shows on TV about the new coasters, I flash back to the good times and I get chest pains.

Vinnie, you and the wife need to travel. Do not wait to have good times later. Do not put it off by saying we will have all sorts of time to travel when we retire or later in life. Take time off from work to enjoy yourself. My wife and I have always taken one or two trips and vacations a year. Some were only 3-5 days, but we got away. We traveled with our son and tried to show him that you do not have to work all the time. Working is good, but if you cannot take time off, what good is working for a living? Our traveling days are suspended for now. Her kidneys have failed and she is on dialysis. We are not going to grow old together. And I am going to die a bitter old man.

So I can speak from experience. Extra vacations days are more important than money. Enjoying life with the ones you love is more important than work and is the most important and fulfilling thing anyone can do. For the past thirty years I have told my bosses that if I have to choose between my job or my family, the job will lose.

Wow, talk about perspective.  That's heartbreaking, thank you for sharing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: