VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 11:47:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So much to say...  (Read 4318 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:58:41 EDT »

...and I'm going to keep most of it to myself, for now.  But I do have one question for the board:

Most of us agree that Butch gets one more year to prove himself.  Given that this current season, barring something miraculous, is already toast, what would this team need to accomplish in 2016 to get you back in Butch's corner?

For me, it's going to take an SEC title and/or a playoff appearance.  Ever since Butch got here and started signing top 5 classes, 2016 is the year we've been pointing to- the year when UT should get back into the national picture.  So I'm sticking by that.  There's no grading on a curve.  Just because they only win 6-7 (maybe) this year, an incremental step up to 8-9 wins isn't going to be good enough.  Unless there's a lot of attrition (and that's possible, but NOT excusable), that team will be the most talented, most experienced, and deepest we've had in Knoxville since the late 90s.  I'm going to expect late 90s type results.  There are no more excuses.  

And FTR, I really hope Butch gets it done.  Because I like the guy, and I sure as hell don't want to sit through yet another coaching search that will only net us our 4th or 5th choice.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:00:36 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:20:06 EDT »

JMO.....but right now we are in trouble. We have low-end SEC coaches and right now a head coach that's over his head. What I saw last night reminded me of a Dooley coached team...ineptitude, a offense with no identity and a defense that was LOST. I saw coaches and players with that stare in their eyes that we saw in the Dooley years. To tell you the truth and I was around football daily for 30 years.....I'm really not sure what I saw last night. Dooley had the SAME record Butch has right now through the same number of games and most would agree Butch is losing with A LOT more talent than Dooley had. Telling?

Butch had a chance to go out and hire a top-notch OC but instead he went on a NATIONWIDE search to hire his friend...Folks deny all you want but that was a red flag. We have other coaches that got canned from other SEC schools but we are trying to win with retreads. Good Luck!

I will be shocked if recruiting doesn't start falling off (it's ranked 15th-18th right now) because recruits will see what's going on....I will also be surprised if we don't lose some that are committed to us. If you were a top WR recruit or QB recruit would you want to be part of what you are seeing with your own eyes?

Our schedule will be harder next season....I see a 7-8 win team again in 2016. Sorry folks, that's just what I see. We have a problem and I don't see the coach or staff that can fix it enough to win big in the SEC.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:36:02 EDT »

I agree with the keep him thru '16 mentality, but I don't think a coaching change will be as damaging as people think.  Butch has loaded up the cupboard with talent, and that may be enticing for a new hire.  Sure there would be attrition, but if done right, we may be able to land a good candidate b/c of the on hand talent.  OTOH, I'll be easy to please next year - just win 8 games or more and go 2-1 against the big 3 (UF, UGa, Bama).  Also, play football in the 4th quarter.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:31:56 EDT »

Done correctly, there's no reason we can't land a top-notch coach this time around. The situation is worlds different than it was in 2012, and it's better than it was in 2009 and 2008, as well. I know conventional wisdom says he gets 2016, and it's hard to argue with that. But if I were a high-level booster (the AD can't, for obvious reasons), I'd be putting out feelers to some folks right now to see if there's any obvious interest out there.

If it sounds like I've given up on Butch Jones...well, I have.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:55:49 EDT »

This is purely a hypothetical food for thought discussion and no I'm not crazy or drunk..is just a thought.
Given that UT hired a virtually untested Lame Kiffin at age 34,who had only held a head coaching title at Oakland for part of a season...
I know this is a big stretch but what if UT hired Peyton Manning as head coach at age 40?
This will probably be his last year in the NFL,he will no doubt make a great coach some where after he retires,either a positions coach or even a head coach some day.I know a lot of people have already talked of him coming back and coaching at some point at UT

1.The man is a true student of the game,watches film like a mad man,even while he played at UT and is driven with a solid and competitive work ethic.
2.Is one of the greatest NFL qb's with just about every record in the book and a Super Bowl ring.
3.He played for UT and knows what it takes to play in the SEC and what UT fans and admin. expect.
4.Would most likely be able to recruit VERY well anywhere in the country and instantly improve recruiting even better than Jones has.
5.Would most likely assemble an awesome coaching staff.
6.Would inherit enough talent from Jones to instantly have an impact in the SEC.

Just food for thought..Can't be any worse than we have now    
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:56:04 EDT by crockettman » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 01:38:06 EDT »

To answer the actual question getting to the SECC is good enough for me next year, or at least going 10-2 if we don't. 

At this point, I want to see how the rest of the season goes.  We really needed to win at least one of the three we lost.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 02:31:05 EDT »

I think Kiffin is a fantastic offensive mind, but have doubts about his management skills. Coach O and his dad are pretty organized, and can handle delegation. Without them, I'm not sure Lane has the temperament for it.

Obviously he seems to have other issues as well.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 02:33:01 EDT »

I think Kiffin is a fantastic offensive mind, but have doubts about his management skills. Coach O and his dad are pretty organized, and can handle delegation. Without them, I'm not sure Lane has the temperament for it.

Obviously he seems to have other issues as well.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 02:48:54 EDT »

These guys are making Kiffin look like Vince Lombardi.

I agree with BDV, Butch will get another year no matter what. This season isn't over but I'm not sure this team is going to come around any more.

I do think Butch needs to jettison about 3-4 assistants and hire competent coaches. That would show me that he is learning.

Next season there are no excuses. We better get to the SECC game minimum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: