VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 12:20:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I know next to nothing about A&M. What makes them 6 point favorites?  (Read 2505 times)
10EC
« on: October 03, 2016, 02:16:07 EDT »

The DE?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:02:39 EDT »

Their defense, especially the front line/7 is very good.  Their secondary can be exploited, if the QB has time.
Their running game is prolific at the moment.  Their QB can be hot and cold and their offense is dependent on his actions, similar to us with Dobbs.
I think this is the third straight year they have started 5-0

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:46:21 EDT »

Over the last 3 years under Sumlin, TAMU has become accustomed to fast starts, then going into tailspins. Last year, it was a 5-0 start until TAMU met Alabama. Then they lost 3 of 4. In 2014, it was a 5-0 start until they met Mississippi State, then it was 3 straight losses (and 5 of 7 losses overall). In 2013 they started 5-1, but then met Auburn and loss 3 of their last 6.

Hopefully this will be their week to stumble. If Tennessee plays like it is capable of playing, there's no reason this can't be a W. If Tennessee plays the way it has played through the first five games of the season, this will almost certainly be a L.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 03:51:10 EDT »

For one thing, A&M leads the league with 521 yards per game. 
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:24:41 EDT »

As Pirate pointed out, their front seven be really good. Their QB (Knight) is also hot at times and can burn you with his running. But as they showed with USCe this past weekend, they can be cold and sputter on offense. The 6.5 point favorite I think is the 3 you get for home team, plus their defense being pretty good.

IMO, the toughest matchup will be for your O line trying to keep their front 7, specifically Myles Garrett, from killing Dobbs. That guy is as an impressive of a DE of any I've seen in the SEC.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 07:11:29 EDT »

Myles Garrett (DE) did not play at SC and was limited in Arkansas game after ankle/shin injury. When he is not in, the defense does not play as well. Their next man up lacked impact. UT has lost 3 defensive stars and appears to have done OK after Shoop adjusted.

On offense, they sputtered because two WRs (injury) did not make trip to SC. Although expected back, will they be as effective?

Was A&M overlooking the Gamecocks for the Vols? Maybe. Sumlin coached teams also have a tendency to start to unravel after 5 games. Here's hoping this trend continues.

I hope for a close game into the 4tyh quarter. If so, this team believes they can win.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:12:51 EDT »

Aside from their defense A&M has some of the best WRs and probably as a group the best in the conference and we haven't been real good at stopping a good passing attack. If Knight has time to throw I'm not sure I like our chances if Knight is on his game. And I'm not real confident when playing a QB than can run.

Our defense needs to get better...quick! Right now I'd put their offense a tad above ours and defense 2 tads above us. We need to get our running game going and move the chains...3 and outs are never good...this week even worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: