VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 12:13:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Release of Offensive staff  (Read 4081 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2021, 09:33:34 EST »

https://utsports.com/news/2021/2/13/football-heupel-finalizes-offensive-coaching-staff.aspx

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – New Tennessee head football coach Josh Heupel has assembled his first offensive coaching staff in Knoxville, it was officially finalized on Monday.

Heupel's offensive staff includes (click on link to full bio):
Kodi Burns – Wide Receivers
Glen Elarbee – Offensive Line
Alex Golesh – Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends
Joey Halzle – Quarterbacks
Jerry Mack – Running Backs
"We look forward to bringing an exciting brand of uptempo offense to Rocky Top," Heupel said. "I am thrilled about the offensive staff we have assembled. They understand what it takes to maximize our potential offensively and will give our student-athletes the proper path to success and development on and off the field. Their energy will be infectious with our current players and in recruiting as well."

Elarbee, Golesh and Halzle were all part of Heupel's elite offenses at UCF, including the 2020 season that saw the Knights rank No. 2 in the FBS in total offense (568.1), No. 4 in passing offense (357.4) and No. 8 in scoring offense (42.2). Heupel's UCF units finished in the top five nationally in total offense and in the top 10 nationally in scoring offense in all three of his seasons.

Burns, who begins his seventh season as an SEC assistant coach, comes to Knoxville after spending the last five seasons as Auburn's co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach from 2016-18 and taking on the role of passing game coordinator from 2019-20.

Elarbee returns to the SEC after stops at LSU and Missouri. Under Elarbee's direction from 2018-20, UCF's offensive line flourished and paved the way for a rushing attack that ranked in the top 25 nationally and top three in the American Athletic Conference all three seasons.

Golesh enters his 18th season at the collegiate level and spent the 2020 season on Heupel's staff as co-offensive coordinator and tight ends coach. Prior to that, Golesh enjoyed four successful seasons as the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator at Iowa State from 2016-19.

Halzle, a three-time Big 12 Conference champion quarterback at Oklahoma, begins his 13th season alongside Heupel. He spent two seasons at UCF, including the 2020 campaign as quarterbacks coach. The two have been instrumental together in elite quarterback development for 10 seasons. As a player, Halzle was part of a skilled quarterback room that included Sam Bradford, who captured the 2008 Heisman Trophy in his final season.

Mack, a Memphis native, owns 17 years of collegiate coaching experience and five conference championships. He was a three-time HBCU Coach of the Year at North Carolina Central. Mack served as the offensive coordinator at Rice the past three seasons. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 09:43:18 EST »

Salaries (we went on the cheap compared to the last staff)
Golesh 3 yrs. 750k (about half our last OC)
Ellarbee. 3yrs. 750k
Mack. 2 yrs. 400k
Halzle. 2 yrs. 350k
Burns. 2 yrs. 300k/425k

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 03:56:15 EST »

It seems guaranteed our offense will improve significantly.

It also seems unlikely our defense can be as bad, though I've been very wrong before.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 06:05:11 EST »

All in know is that Heupel inherited an undefeated team and took them to mediocrity.  But I guess mediocrity is better than what we have had the last 15 years. Those numbers are impressive if you think East Carolina , UConn, Navy and USF type schools play better defense than UGa, Bama, UF, aTm etc. How many of these schools will we put 500+ yards up against. Do you expect these numbers against many SEC opponents?

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 06:17:27 EST »

All in know is that Heupel inherited an undefeated team and took them to mediocrity.  But I guess mediocrity is better than what we have had the last 15 years. Those numbers are impressive if you think East Carolina , UConn, Navy and USF type schools play better defense than UGa, Bama, UF, aTm etc. How many of these schools will we put 500+ yards up against. Do you expect these numbers against many SEC opponents?
CLUELESS, as usual

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 06:21:47 EST »

CLUELESS, as usual
Nope . Just not a blind dumbass like some. Answer this question.  Will his numbers be close to the same at UT?  I say no. If you think different, we will see. SEC is not the AAC. Ask Scott Frost. What about my question is clueless? Look at this years schedule. A normal UT team should win 8-9 games with the only losses to the usual suspects, Bama, UGa and UF.  Probably won't win that many just looking at the talent that has said so-long to Knoxville. What is a fair win goal to put on this staff? Should win all four OOC games. Do we win at least 3-5 conference games? What is your early win total for this new staff. I say 7 should be expected. If not they are underachieving.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:56:18 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 06:24:48 EST »

Nope . Just not a blind dumbass like some. Answer this question.  Will his numbers be close to the same at UT?  I say no. If you think different, we will see. SEC is not the AAC. Ask Scott Frost. What about my question is clueless?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 07:22:11 EST »

All I am saying is those previous numbers mean nothing. It does no good to gush all over yourself trying to make them relevant to an SEC coaching job. Most coaches have good numbers at G5 schools before being hired by P5 schools. It usually doesn't mean these type numbers will transfer to the new job.

volsboyinsodak
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 08:30:09 EST »

Only 1 SEC team put up 500+ yards of offense in a single game last year, so quit making it sound like this is a common occurrence. And to help you from having to look, your team in Tuscaloosa was not that team.

Now see if this helps. UCF averaged 568 yards/game in 2020. If Heupel's offense was throttled back by 75% due to SEC defenses, it would still out perform what our offense has achieved from a yardage output perspective over the past 4 seasons.

Nobody is expecting 500+ yards/game with Heupel's offense, but we can see an opportunity to move the ball and put points on the scoreboard with this hire. So pull back on then hyperbole and check your data when throwing numbers around.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 11:23:42 EST »

Nope . Just not a blind dumbass like some. Answer this question.  Will his numbers be close to the same at UT?  I say no. If you think different, we will see. SEC is not the AAC. Ask Scott Frost. What about my question is clueless? Look at this years schedule. A normal UT team should win 8-9 games with the only losses to the usual suspects, Bama, UGa and UF.  Probably won't win that many just looking at the talent that has said so-long to Knoxville. What is a fair win goal to put on this staff? Should win all four OOC games. Do we win at least 3-5 conference games? What is your early win total for this new staff. I say 7 should be expected. If not they are underachieving.

You get that JH was going up against those AAC defenses with an AAC offense, right? It's not like he was running up those numbers with bama's roster.

I'm as skeptical of JH as anyone, but you're making bad faith arguments.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 11:47:39 EST »

You get that JH was going up against those AAC defenses with an AAC offense, right? It's not like he was running up those numbers with bama's roster.

I'm as skeptical of JH as anyone, but you're making bad faith arguments.
No I'm not. Nothing bad faith about it. Out of the last five coaches we have hired, which one did/do you have the most confidence in before he coached a down at UT? You kind of made my point. What would Bama's offense have done against that AAC schedule. What would UCF's have done against that SEC schedule. Doesn't that make the top offenses in the SEC look even more daunting, doing it against all SEC foes. My point is it does no good to compare AAC stats to SEC stats. He will not average 42.2 points per game against SEC teams. If he does, then God Bless him and hallelujah. I do think he will develop the players a lot better than the last three have.  Maybe we can see some competent QB play.  Plus, it shouldn't be that hard if he is that great of an offensive mind, to have a better offense than last years.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 11:51:56 EST »

SEC isn't the defensive conference they were once noted for. It's become a more offensive game and Saban learned that and changed a few years back and Bama's defense has dropped off since changing to a more wide open offense attack...

SEC Total Team Defense rank 2020 season

12th. UGA
32nd. Bama (Use to be in top 5 or better)
45th. KY
52nd. Miss State
63rd. Auburn
65th. UT
66th. Mizzou
83rd. Florida
105th. South Carolina
106th. Arkansas
121st. Vandy
124th. LSU
126th. Ole Miss

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 11:59:27 EST »

SEC isn't the defensive conference they were once noted for. It's become a more offensive game and Saban learned that and changed a few years back and Bama's defense has dropped off since changing to a more wide open offense attack...

SEC Total Team Defense rank 2020 season

12th. UGA
32nd. Bama (Use to be in top 5 or better)
45th. KY
52nd. Miss State
63rd. Auburn
65th. UT
66th. Mizzou

83rd. Florida
105th. South Carolina
106th. Arkansas
121st. Vandy
124th. LSU
126th. Ole Miss

I get that. Of course they didn't put up  500 yards frequently. The SEC still has better athletes all over the field than the AAC. How many yards and points would UF and Bama have playing all AAC teams. It would be ridiculous. How many defensive players will be drafted from the AAC in the NFL draft vs the SEC. Won't even be close. So yes, the SEC is still has better defenses than the AAC. Plus Huepel's teams slowly got worse.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:03:56 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 12:30:46 EST »

You guys act like I don't want Huepel to be successful. I hope he has offenses that break every record. It still takes a lot more than offense. Why was he 6-4 this year? The offense wasn't enough,obviously.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 12:35:28 EST »

UCF has 4 on the NFL draft board right now.

You recruit to the competition you play and compete with......Is FAU...UCF....USF...FIU...Memphis...Houston....App State etc going to load up with 4 and 5 star players? Hell no....So your usual negative remarks about coming from one lower conference to the SEC are stupid. If head coaches from those schools come to the SEC...Big 10....Big 12 they are smart enough to know they can't recruit at their previous schools levels and expect to compete for anything. If Heupel and staff recruits AAC level players it's not going to work over time and he won't be here 4 years from now....He's been here 3 weeks and I don't know how it will work out and neither do you but we all know you will bitch and moan about everything.

Most UT fans know we are a dumpster fire right now....we are trying to compete with KY....USC....Mizzou...Ark...Ole Miss...Miss State right now and hopefully dig out of the hole in a few years. There's nothing anyone of us fans can do about it but either support the program or don't... But keep bitching and moaning.....We all   at you.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 12:45:08 EST »

You recruit to the competition you play and compete with......Is FAU...UCF....USF...FIU...Memphis...Houston....App State etc going to load up with 4 and 5 star players? Hell no....So your usual negative remarks about coming from one lower conference to the SEC are stupid. If head coaches from those schools come to the SEC...Big 10....Big 12 they are smart enough to know they can't recruit at their previous schools levels and expect to compete for anything. If Heupel and staff recruits AAC level players it's not going to work over time and he won't be here 4 years from now....He's been here 3 weeks and I don't know how it will work out and neither do you but we all know you will bitch and moan about everything.

Most UT fans know we are a dumpster fire right now....we are trying to compete with KY....USC....Mizzou...Ark...Ole Miss...Miss State right now and hopefully dig out of the hole in a few years. There's nothing anyone of us fans can do about it but either support the program or don't... But keep bitching and moaning.....We all   at you.

Scott Frost ring a bell. He was the next Lombardy before he left the same UCF school.  He knew P5 was a different game. He knows he has to recruit at a higher level. How's it going for him?

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 12:46:02 EST »

Scott Frost ring a bell. He was the next Lombardy before he left the same UCF school.  He knew P5 was a different game. He knows he has to recruit at a higher level. How's it going for him?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 12:46:33 EST »

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 12:57:15 EST »

I do support the program. But I do admire the way you always put lipstick on those pigs. We will see how well we did in our hire. Other large schools seem to know more what they're doing in their hires. Some don't 

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 12:59:35 EST »

I do support the program. But I do admire the way you always put lipstick on those pigs. We will see how well we did in our hire. Other large schools seem to know more what they're doing in their hires. Some don't 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2021, 01:03:40 EST »

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 01:09:24 EST »

Feeding a troll will only make the troll more hungry.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 04:49:52 EST »

Okay the bitching and moaning over this hire is done. Let's leave Huepel alone and see what he can do.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 05:13:28 EST »

Okay the bitching and moaning over this hire is done. Let's leave Huepel alone and see what he can do.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 05:20:57 EST »

Feeding a troll will only make the troll more hungry.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: