VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 02:29:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all the 20/20 hindsight folks...  (Read 10385 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:43:36 EST »

...who were all over Butch for trying to redshirt Dobbs earlier- are you starting to see why he's the coach, and you're not?

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:05:09 EST »

The loss of Hurd early in the game took away a lot of offense for UT..The one-two running attack of Dobbs and Hurd became Dobbs trying to win it with his arm instead of his legs..Lane did the best he could but Hurd was clearly missed in this game..Vols win though,other players stepped up..Another building brick and another win against that team from the West 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 05:02:52 EST »

The loss of Hurd early in the game took away a lot of offense for UT..The one-two running attack of Dobbs and Hurd became Dobbs trying to win it with his arm instead of his legs..Lane did the best he could but Hurd was clearly missed in this game..Vols win though,other players stepped up..Another building brick and another win against that team from the West 
that clearly doesn't explain his passing issues ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volpride
Walk-On

Give.Him.Six

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:56:21 EST »

Have to agree with Diamond on this one. Dobbs gave us a much needed spark earlier in the season, but there are definitely some issues. Do I think he can lead us in the future?.....yes, but I 100% understand why Butch was redshirting him. Regardless we are going bowling for the first time since 2010? I believe, and that is a positive. I am excited for the future of this program.

"The hardest moments are a call to something greater"
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:40:07 EST »

As I have said all along I thought Dobbs was a much better fit for the offensive scheme Butch wants to run.  I would have been interesting to see him on the field from the beginning of the season.

But as I also have said all along I don't believe that the quarterback of next year is on campus yet. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 05:45:22 EST »

that clearly doesn't explain his passing issues ...

Dobbs wasn't on target for sure but imo the loss of Hurd took away UT's running game and put more pressure on Dobbs to throw and our banged up o-line to protect Dobbs which didn't help the situation..Dobbs is still a work in progress but I'm glad we have him at qb and as long as he stays healthy,he will only get better
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 06:00:03 EST »

Now all know what Butch meant about Dobbs being consistently inconsistent.  Dobbs can be hot and cold at the same time. But when he is on, he can be spectacular. With a consistent running game, his style is great. But like most QBs, he can make bad decisions under pressure. The Missouri game was a road map how to attack this OL. The problem is OTs (LT out of position & RT playing one one leg) and a center out. Have we started the same offensive players for more than 3 games in a row?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 06:55:51 EST »

I wouldn't say that Dobbs won't be our QB next year- I think the job is his to lose.  But he doesn't have it locked down, either.  At least one, and maybe both of our incoming freshman are supposed to be here in the spring, and they should get every opportunity as well.  

I don't think there's any way Dobbs isn't the day one starter next year.  But if he wants to keep the job, he's going to have lock himself in the film room all summer long.  The physical attributes are there, but he needs to improve his accuracy and decision-making.  The good news is that unlike the last QB we had like that, Dobbs seems to have a good attitude and the willingness to do what it takes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:57:24 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 07:07:05 EST »

Now all know what Butch meant about Dobbs being consistently inconsistent.  Dobbs can be hot and cold at the same time. But when he is on, he can be spectacular. With a consistent running game, his style is great. But like most QBs, he can make bad decisions under pressure. The Missouri game was a road map how to attack this OL. The problem is OTs (LT out of position & RT playing one one leg) and a center out. Have we started the same offensive players for more than 3 games in a row?
My point exactly... Is hard for any qb to get into a rhythm with the pocket constantly collapsing on him and being harassed and sacked with a young M.A.S.H ward trying to protect him..Take away our best running back and that pressure mounts..Dobbs does have a cannon for an arm and did make a couple of really great passes down field to the other sideline,throwing across his body while on the run..Just a couple weeks ago people were talking about him being a front runner for the hypeman trophy next year after his performance against a not so good S.C team..He is 3-1 as a starter this year and the only loss was to the SEC East champs and we are going bowling..Will take that over the last couple of years for sure..Go Vols!!  
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 07:31:43 EST »

What is a true testament to this team and CBJ is the fact that this team was the only team in the country to replace both offensive and defensive lines this year,with one of the toughest schedules in the nation,in one of the toughest conferences in the nation,with all the injuries through the year and the loss of our best defensive player after the Ky game,this team still managed to make it to a bowl..
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 07:41:00 EST »

...who were all over Butch for trying to redshirt Dobbs earlier- are you starting to see why he's the coach, and you're not?

We won with no OL, or RB...oh yeah and how many WR's do we have that are not playing hurt.  We lose without Dobbs today, by a mile. So I don't see your point. Dobbs is winning playing with the same tools Worley was loosing with.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:43:49 EST by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 08:00:22 EST »

We won with no OL, or RB...oh yeah and how many WR's do we have that are not playing hurt.  We lose without Dobbs today, by a mile. So I don't see your point. Dobbs is winning playing with the same tools Worley was loosing with.

No one's saying he isn't an improvement over Worley- he is.  But he's not the All American people were making him out to be after two games.  Not yet, anyway.  He's made some mistakes the past two weeks.  That's most likely what Butch was seeing in practice, and a major contributing factor in the decision to redshirt him.  And even if he WAS perfect in practice, I still maintain that we would've been better off saving him for 2017, when there will likely be much more at stake than there was this year.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 09:49:55 EST »

No one's saying he isn't an improvement over Worley- he is.  But he's not the All American people were making him out to be after two games.  Not yet, anyway.  He's made some mistakes the past two weeks.  That's most likely what Butch was seeing in practice, and a major contributing factor in the decision to redshirt him.  And even if he WAS perfect in practice, I still maintain that we would've been better off saving him for 2017, when there will likely be much more at stake than there was this year.

One of the RTI guys wrote a piece after the UK game, basically saying if Dobbs kept putting up those numbers he'd be on the Heisman watch list next year.  After 3 games.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:47 EST »

One of the RTI guys wrote a piece after the UK game, basically saying if Dobbs kept putting up those numbers he'd be on the Heisman watch list next year.  After 3 games.   

To be fair, they weren't the only ones saying that.  There were some national pundits saying the same thing. 

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 12:02:58 EST »

We also need to remember just who we lost to without Dobbs and whom we beat with him. 

UT beat SEC teams with league records of 3-5, 2-6, and 0-8 with Dobbs at QB.

Perspective, CV.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 02:09:58 EST »

to lead us to victory consistently against the better teams and my opinion isn't based on stats. I'm troubled by what I observe in his inability to read a D and find the right guy to go to (he often throws to guys who are clearly not open), I know our WRs haven't done a good job of getting separation but often he fails to throw to the guy who does get open. He doesn't have an innate sense putting the appropriate touch on the ball (i.e. often throws short passes far too hard and fails to loft a pass over a defenders shoulder, or throw to the back shoulder where only our guy can get to the ball) and he absolutely cannot throw a deep ball at all. He does well throwing straight line passes to stationary receivers and everything else is a roll of the dice and often a good chance for an interception. He's gifted runner but not a gifted passer.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 03:19:11 EST »

to lead us to victory consistently against the better teams and my opinion isn't based on stats. I'm troubled by what I observe in his inability to read a D and find the right guy to go to (he often throws to guys who are clearly not open), I know our WRs haven't done a good job of getting separation but often he fails to throw to the guy who does get open. He doesn't have an innate sense putting the appropriate touch on the ball (i.e. often throws short passes far too hard and fails to loft a pass over a defenders shoulder, or throw to the back shoulder where only our guy can get to the ball) and he absolutely cannot throw a deep ball at all. He does well throwing straight line passes to stationary receivers and everything else is a roll of the dice and often a good chance for an interception. He's gifted runner but not a gifted passer.

My thoughts exactly.  I think that is what kept him on the bench previously, with the hope that a redshirt (time) would aid in his development as a passer.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 04:58:53 EST »

Interesting take, and pretty much repeated my issues with his passing last year.  One thing to note is that against SCe and to some extent against KY he was throwing to where the receiver would be (2 passes to Pig against SCe (the first pass in OT being one) come to mind).  Recently, and especially Saturday night, he had regressed back to where he was last year completely.  Is the issue assimilation of the play book and attempts by Jake to expand the playbook?

Saturday night his only two passes beyond the LOS were more or less busted plays.  The first to Pig I have no idea how Pig got so open but the 2nd pass was a designed wheel route to Lane (similar to the route to the right that Pearson ran against SCe) and was open all the way.  Without the rush that forced Josh to move to his right that had a shot at being a TD.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 05:21:30 EST »

I disagree with you here.  We HAD to get to a bowl this year for several reasons.  1) To keep the recruiting class intact.  If we don't make a bowl, those guys might start loooking elsewhere., 2) For the fans, in order to not put Butch on the hot seat.  Peterman wasn't getting you to a bowl, so I think you had to play Dobbs.

I was there on Saturday and it was UGLY.  The offense was not fluid at all.  Now I realize that alot happens when Hurd goes out.  Hurd and Dobbs can make you pay back time.  However, it was killing me that we only handed off the jet sweep one time.  That one time, it went for 8 - 9 yards.  It also kills me that we weren't throwing downfield.  I know the OL can't block, but how about some short slants or outs or something down field to losen the D up.  Where did our TE's go?  I also realize that we were missing our top 3 receivers, but there has to be plays called past the LOS.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 05:29:57 EST »

I disagree with you here.  We HAD to get to a bowl this year for several reasons.  1) To keep the recruiting class intact.  If we don't make a bowl, those guys might start loooking elsewhere., 2) For the fans, in order to not put Butch on the hot seat.  Peterman wasn't getting you to a bowl, so I think you had to play Dobbs.

I was there on Saturday and it was UGLY.  The offense was not fluid at all.  Now I realize that alot happens when Hurd goes out.  Hurd and Dobbs can make you pay back time.  However, it was killing me that we only handed off the jet sweep one time.  That one time, it went for 8 - 9 yards.  It also kills me that we weren't throwing downfield.  I know the OL can't block, but how about some short slants or outs or something down field to losen the D up.  Where did our TE's go?  I also realize that we were missing our top 3 receivers, but there has to be plays called past the LOS.
The big problem Saturday night is that one, and only one receiver ever got any kind of separation and that was Pig.  He was also the only receiver playing Saturday that understood the concept of blocking.  If Pearson could block (he had one whiff (not sure he laid so much as a finger on the candy defender) that led to a TFL) we would have had a lot more yards of offense.  BTW, blocking was something that Croom improved considerably this year.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 05:35:35 EST »

BTW, my Offensive MVP this year was Pig.  Without him we do not win 5, let alone 6 games.

Defensive MVPs are Maggitt and Barnett.  They have become a force that requires teams to scheme around.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 05:52:18 EST »

BTW, my Offensive MVP this year was Pig.  Without him we do not win 5, let alone 6 games.

Defensive MVPs are Maggitt and Barnett.  They have become a force that requires teams to scheme around.

The thing Pig had going for him this year is he didn't get hurt while the entire rest of the WR corps did. I am thankful he remained on the team after the offseason troubles, but I still don't think he's a great player.

Maggitt and Barnett are one of the best DE tandems in the SEC . . . who would have thought that going into the year?

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 06:00:02 EST »

Dobbs had a walk on TE and Pig to throw to. Pearson should have been targeted more. Hurd went out early. We were very limited and could not go down the field.

Dobbs has more to learn but come on - how do you scheme with a mash unit like we had to deal with.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 06:05:28 EST »

Dobbs had a walk on TE and Pig to throw to. Pearson should have been targeted more. Hurd went out early. We were very limited and could not go down the field.

Dobbs has more to learn but come on - how do you scheme with a mash unit like we had to deal with.
It would be helpful for Pearson to get open on routes other than WR slip screens

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 06:29:20 EST »

That has little to do with decision making.  He threw several balls against Vandy that easily would have been picked had the Vols been playing a decent team.  Even his handoff decisions are questionable at times.  His legs often save him, but he needs to lock himself in a room, watch as much film as he can, and start thinking like a QB who often runs rather than a runner who throws the ball.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: