VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 11:57:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UT has it's new chancellor  (Read 3641 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:34:10 EST »

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/education/2016/11/21/university-tennessee-name-davenport-next-chancellor/94233352/
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:11:43 EST »

Well, if she doesn't eat her own boogers, we probably come out ahead 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_7rcriinkU

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:55:58 EST »

Now start the search for new AD and push Hart out the door ASAP. Let her have input, but I just do not think UT can wait until March 1 (I believe that is the date the paper said she would start) to begin the search. And I think all the Yes Men Diamond Dave surrounded himself with may need to start looking elsewhere. While Hart has restored financial stability to athletics, he has alienated a lot of supporters. The next AD will have a lot of fences to mend and I hope will care more for the other sports to demand better coaching and results.

I wish the new chancellor the best and hope she can succeed. I also hope she is a better communicator and politician than Cheek was. If he had a vision, I never heard him articulate in a manner that anyone other than a academic could grasp. He seemed a nice enough man, but he looked out of place as a leader. The building replacement program to transform UT is amazing. She needs to come in and clean house with some administrative positions although the turnover in management of some high ranking old guard may make it easier.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:19:25 EST »

Now start the search for new AD and push Hart out the door ASAP. Let her have input, but I just do not think UT can wait until March 1 (I believe that is the date the paper said she would start) to begin the search. And I think all the Yes Men Diamond Dave surrounded himself with may need to start looking elsewhere. While Hart has restored financial stability to athletics, he has alienated a lot of supporters. The next AD will have a lot of fences to mend and I hope will care more for the other sports to demand better coaching and results.

I wish the new chancellor the best and hope she can succeed. I also hope she is a better communicator and politician than Cheek was. If he had a vision, I never heard him articulate in a manner that anyone other than a academic could grasp. He seemed a nice enough man, but he looked out of place as a leader. The building replacement program to transform UT is amazing. She needs to come in and clean house with some administrative positions although the turnover in management of some high ranking old guard may make it easier.

I won't be surprised if the new AD is announced before long.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:50:11 EST »

I would be surprised if the new chancellor does not have a lot of input in the hire because the AD reports directly to the chancellor. So the new chancellor will need to interview, approve, and hire the new AD. So if she does not take office until March 1 officially, I do not see how this gets done until April unless she is allowed to hire before she is in place. I can see her starting before March 1 (late January maybe) and having the official AD hire late February.

If you believe DePietro, the new chancellor will make the hire not the UT President. If she is smart, she will ignore any advice Hart may give. Thank him for his service and change the locks and passwords before he leaves. Then tell the new AD to hire new blood and a fund raiser to finance stadium expansion.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:54:02 EST »

I keep hearing how awful "bammer Dave" is, but I just don't see it.  Jones was not a disasterous hire, and likely was the best we could do with financial constraints from two ongoing buyouts and the smoking ruin that was our football program.  Hamilton lost Pearl, not Hart.  Hart's bball hires were not great (jury still out on Barnes), but football is the big one, and at least we are back to being relevant (if not up to the standards of the 'tard section of our fanbase).

That's not to say that Hart was a great AD, but I give him credit for righting the ship.  Hopefully the next AD can be more like Dickey...a guy who can take it to the next level. 

In fact, one of the first things Dickey did was let Majors go.  A coach that was the spitting image of "good, but not good enough".  IMO.

Hmmmmm....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:09:42 EST »

In fact, one of the first things Dickey did was let Majors go.  A coach that was the spitting image of "good, but not good enough".  IMO.

Hmmmmm....

First things?  Dickey was the AD at Tennessee from 1985 to 2002 (at least I think so).  Since Majors wasn't let go until midseason in 1992, does that mean Dickey was just sitting around doing nothing for 7 years? 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 12:19:01 EST »

I would be surprised if the new chancellor does not have a lot of input in the hire because the AD reports directly to the chancellor. So the new chancellor will need to interview, approve, and hire the new AD. So if she does not take office until March 1 officially, I do not see how this gets done until April unless she is allowed to hire before she is in place. I can see her starting before March 1 (late January maybe) and having the official AD hire late February.

If you believe DePietro, the new chancellor will make the hire not the UT President. If she is smart, she will ignore any advice Hart may give. Thank him for his service and change the locks and passwords before he leaves. Then tell the new AD to hire new blood and a fund raiser to finance stadium expansion.

The interview process is in the works...A new AD will be hired the first part of Jan. if not before, IMO.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 12:25:17 EST »

The interview process is in the works...A new AD will be hired the first part of Jan. if not before, IMO.
She is getting paid $25K/month during the transition so put her to work

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 01:22:45 EST »

First things?  Dickey was the AD at Tennessee from 1985 to 2002 (at least I think so).  Since Majors wasn't let go until midseason in 1992, does that mean Dickey was just sitting around doing nothing for 7 years? 

Ah. I thought he came in around 1989. I was thinking of Joe Johnson, who started in 1991.

So if Dickey actually was there from 1985, when we won a big upset in the Sugar Bowl through the firing of Majors in 1992, during a phase Majors won 3 SEC championships, then we can assume that this year we will win a big upset in the Sugar Bowl and then a couple SECCs in the next 6 years, after which Butch will be fired for not making it to "the next level".   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: