VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 10:57:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The comedic value of Butch's "champions of life" comment is real  (Read 3659 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2016, 04:05:37 EST »

But it honestly doesn't bother me. He was just trying to protect his seniors.

I understand completely that it was unintentionally funny (really horrible timing, lol), but other than that it doesn't bother me the way it does some parts of our fanbase.

So while i can laugh at the comment, I am far from "outraged" or offended.

It's not that big a deal.  Get over it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:45:09 EST »

Doesn't really bother me that he said it......but IMO it shows how little respect Butch's gets when something like this goes pretty much viral all over the country.

Mike and Mike on ESPN talked about it this morning......and it wasn't favorable. Just more fuel for the recruiting fire.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:58:33 EST »

words are cheap and I don't really care what he says. As long as he wins. We could finish 10-3 this year which would be really nice to attain. We have not won 10 games in a long time. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:53:17 EST »

words are cheap and I don't really care what he says. As long as he wins. We could finish 10-3 this year which would be really nice to attain. We have not won 10 games in a long time. 

We hadn't won eight in a long time, either, apparently.  :die laughing:

It didn't bother me that he said what he said. Actually, he's right. Graduating college is a far bigger accomplishment than winning championships, even national championships. But I think the fact that he said it, seemingly unaware of the repercussions that would follow, just goes to show you: when Butch was new at this job, the cliche was "Butch gets it," because he always said the right things. I'm not sure Butch gets it very much right now.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:30:59 EST »

Butch does need to learn to be a bit more "real", just for PR purposes. In general people don't like people that spout clichés all the time.

For me I don't care. I want a coach who gets us wins.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:31:15 EST »

We hadn't won eight in a long time, either, apparently.  :die laughing:

It didn't bother me that he said what he said. Actually, he's right. Graduating college is a far bigger accomplishment than winning championships, even national championships. But I think the fact that he said it, seemingly unaware of the repercussions that would follow, just goes to show you: when Butch was new at this job, the cliche was "Butch gets it," because he always said the right things. I'm not sure Butch gets it very much right now.

Can't argue with that.  He is almost at a "W-level" tin ear, social unawareness state.   But they are both "deciders".   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 09:15:37 EST »

Butch needs to stop listening to those coach voices talking in his head, practice what he preaches to his players, and think before he speaks. Maybe Butch and I have have that common problem where he hears words come out of his mouth and thinks: Did I just say that out load? Maybe not.

Really it does not bother me. Have you ever really listed to coach-speak? It is all one sports cliche after another most of the time. Except nowadays with 24/7 sports news/social media, you have someone to record and send it out immediately. And the temperament of the social media culture is to deride and make fun of pretty much everything in life. It should not bother anyone else either but to those that only want to find fault with others so they can complain about them.

Seriously, there are more important things than sports.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 11:20:06 EST »

Fulmer was the same way, and Majors was the king of silly speak.  But, they said it with southern accents Vols fans could accept as homey and familiar.  If they had said the same thing in slightly different words, it would have been a non issue.  I couldn't care less, and understand what Jones meant (as did Josh Dobbs, much more eloquently than I can express).  Jones needs to shore up his staff and develop as a head coach.  If he does that, and starts consistently winning 9+ games per regular season, cliche away!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 11:38:01 EST »

He can read recipes during press conferences for all I care. Just treat everyone right and win.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 12:49:58 EST »

Just win, Baby!  Do that and you can hire Queen to do "We Are The Champions over a piped in version of Sinatra singing "That's Life" if your motivational tapes say that helps get your message across. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: