VTTW Board Index
May 23, 2024, 11:48:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any of you guys ever drive the Tail of the Dragon?....  (Read 5058 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:10:52 EST »

This guy almost didn't make it.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/2016/10/25/dragon-crash-survivor-speaks-near-death-experience/92695280/
10EC
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 06:22:57 EST »

On a 12-Speed about 26 years and 120 Lbs ago.

Use to do it on Tuesdays.

Amazing coming downhill with no noise.

Uphill... ugh that was hard. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:33:59 EST »

Yep.  First time I drove it, I had just recently left the AF and settled in the area (close to Alcoa, to be exact).  I had been to Knoxville many times but had never lived there, so I was still somewhat unfamiliar with the area.  In that situation, I like to just get in my car and get lost for a day.  I always wondered what's on 129 beyond Maryville.  So I hopped in my manual transmission '92 Geo Metro on a Saturday and set off to find out.  I had no idea what I was about to do (again, in a '92 Geo Metro with a straight shift).  I had no idea it was the most famous motorcycle road, at least, East of the Mississippi, if not in the entire country. 

So long story shot, I spent the next couple hours dodging oncoming bikes that were cutting corners into my lane, gripping my steering wheel so tightly I almost broke it off the column, and never shifting above 2nd gear.  And it was a BLAST!  I would really love to do it again on a bike or in a sports car.  Or, you know, anything other than a Geo.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:55:44 EST »

Yep.  First time I drove it, I had just recently left the AF and settled in the area (close to Alcoa, to be exact).  I had been to Knoxville many times but had never lived there, so I was still somewhat unfamiliar with the area.  In that situation, I like to just get in my car and get lost for a day.  I always wondered what's on 129 beyond Maryville.  So I hopped in my manual transmission '92 Geo Metro on a Saturday and set off to find out.  I had no idea what I was about to do (again, in a '92 Geo Metro with a straight shift).  I had no idea it was the most famous motorcycle road, at least, East of the Mississippi, if not in the entire country. 

So long story shot, I spent the next couple hours dodging oncoming bikes that were cutting corners into my lane, gripping my steering wheel so tightly I almost broke it off the column, and never shifting above 2nd gear.  And it was a BLAST!  I would really love to do it again on a bike or in a sports car.  Or, you know, anything other than a Geo.

Geo....and lived to tell about it. Congrats!
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 03:20:09 EST »

I had driven it a few times by myself a couple of years ago when I had my Supra, and then more recently with my wife when we were coming home from Brevard NC. I figured out real quick that it's a ton of fn when you're digging into the corners, but not so much when you're 'just' driving it

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:40:59 EST »

I had driven it a few times by myself a couple of years ago when I had my Supra, and then more recently with my wife when we were coming home from Brevard NC. I figured out real quick that it's a ton of fn when you're digging into the corners, but not so much when you're 'just' driving it

Yep.  And even though there's plenty of scenery, this isn't a route for sightseeing. If you take your eyes off the road for half a second to check out the view, you could easily become part of the view.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 04:40:57 EST »

If you take your eyes off the road for half a second to check out the view, you could easily become part of the view.

Mr toy had quite a bit of power, and understeer ways always a flick of the throttle away...... I almost became part of the landscape. 

11B4PJ3F7
volzfan
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 01:52:30 EST »

One of my favorite things to do.  We try to go at least a couple of times per year, usually summer and fall.  It is a challenge dodging the bikers while trying to have your own fun!

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 02:01:47 EST »

I've riden it a couple times on my '94 Harley Softail. I think I had more scrapped foot boards on those rides than any over rides I've done combined.  It's fun, but a bit nerve-racking.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 02:45:18 EST »

Yes, 375,754 bikers and my car went down it together. There were camera locations on the side of the road taking pics while advertising an internet address for purchase.

One biker did wipe-out around a curve and but was "OK."

BG

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 05:08:17 EST »

My hubs and friends love to ride it on their bikes.....BTW, TRO, Dean is buying a new (used) bike next week....2015 Harley Davison Street Glide Special.  He's got his 2006 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic up for sale!     75 (almost 76) and still riding strong!  It's his one passion in life and I'm so glad his health allows him to continue riding!   

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 05:55:51 EST »

I did back in '87 in a '86 Honda Accord with manual trans.  It was early September and amazingly beautiful.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 03:55:52 EST »

Did it in a church van on the way to a backpacking trip. That wasn't fun.

Two years ago on Thanksgiving the Cherahala Skyway was impassable for me due to snow. I rerouted to the Tail if the Dragon, and don't think I saw another car the entire time. Amazing.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: