VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 01:11:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brice thinks we'll have our new coach by Monday...  (Read 9225 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:02:53 EST »

...Notice the two white whales mentioned at the end of the article.  There aren't many guys I'd want more than Gruden.  But Chris Peterson?  Yes please.

http://gridironnow.com/volunteers-expected-name-next-head-coach-matter-days/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:06:04 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:07:24 EST »

I'd take Peterson...don't know how he'd recruit in the South being a West coast guy? I read today his buyout is just 1.5 million?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 12:10:25 EST »

I'd take Peterson...don't know how he'd recruit in the South being a West coast guy? I read today his buyout is just 1.5 million?

He'd have to hire some assistants with experience in the region, for sure.  But Butch had no Southern connections, either, and he recruited just fine.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 12:14:20 EST »

Butch did recruit quite a bit in the Southeast before coming to UT. Not sure Peterson ever has.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 02:05:41 EST »

Recruiting wouldn't be much of an issue,  IMO. If Peterson is the coach, high school kids will come because he will help them get to the NFL. It's the same reason they pick Bama

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:19 EST »

Recruiting wouldn't be much of an issue,  IMO. If Peterson is the coach, high school kids will come because he will help them get to the NFL. It's the same reason they pick Bama

Well, that and...

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 03:00:29 EST »

It would seem this hire was done a while ago and was not announced until the end of the regular season due to who was hired.   Does that give us any clue as to who it is? 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 03:10:36 EST »

It would seem this hire was done a while ago and was not announced until the end of the regular season due to who was hired.   Does that give us any clue as to who it is? 

I do think it's been done for a while.  But I wouldn't read anything into waiting to make the announcement.  I can't recall any school announcing a new coach in mid-season, unless it's an interim who's already there.  Even when we hired Kiffin it started leaking a day or two before the last game, but nothing official came out until it was over.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 08:49:29 EST »

...Notice the two white whales mentioned at the end of the article.  There aren't many guys I'd want more than Gruden.  But Chris Peterson?  Yes please.

A few of points:
Tennessee tends to honor the unofficial rule that you don't contact coaches directly in season.  As such I doubt that Currie flew to the West coast this week.  Also include the absolute fact that he attended sports events in Knoxville at at Atlantis the entire week would question the validity of John's reporting.
John said would make his pick within 72 hours but, though he implied it, he never said it would be announced
If indeed it is Monday it will NOT be Gruden, as he will be in Pittsburgh for his Monday night gig.
Given the above, and the general perception that Currie has had a big fish then my guess would be Peterson.  I would note that the buzz of Mullen essential died when the rubber hit the road, as in their season ended.  Peterson would fit in the Currie MO in that until late yesterday there has been little or no speculation regarding him. If it is indeed Peterson I think he could do very well here, given the right staff

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 10:11:26 EST »

If it's Petersen, I will buy ribs at JD's Smokehouse in Connelly Springs, NC for every VTTW poster who shows up.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:46:52 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 10:21:42 EST »

If Washington wins today, they'll play next Saturday, so it seems unlikely Petersen is the guy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:46:27 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 05:07:54 EST »

I see Petersen as the only coach that would not create a fan backlash over "should have been Gruden"

Barring the unlikely (Gruden), I am really surprised there have not been controlled leaks to start managing fanbase expectations.

Which leaves me here-------it is Gruden.   Or Petersen.   Or Mullen.   Or Norvell.   Or csmpbell.   Or Schiano.   Or Brohm.   Or Les Miles.   Or Kiffin.   Or me.   

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 05:26:35 EST »

I see Petersen as the only coach that would not create a fan backlash over "should have been Gruden"

Barring the unlikely (Gruden), I am really surprised there have not been controlled leaks to start managing fanbase expectations.

Which leaves me here-------it is Gruden.   Or Petersen.   Or Mullen.   Or Norvell.   Or csmpbell.   Or Schiano.   Or Brohm.   Or Les Miles.   Or Kiffin.   Or me.   

Congrats.  You're the first person here (including the dumbass who started this thread) to spell PetersEn's name correctly.  Seeing as he's going to be our coach for the next 20 years, we'd all better start getting these things right.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 05:33:30 EST »

1) Congratulations Louis!  I'm available to interview for both OC and DC at your convenience. If it helps, I could do both.

2) Thanks for the heads-up on PetersEn's name BDV. I'll spell it correctly on the memo line of my check for $25 to help fund his buyout.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 06:01:16 EST »

A few of points:
Tennessee tends to honor the unofficial rule that you don't contact coaches directly in season.  As such I doubt that Currie flew to the West coast this week.  Also include the absolute fact that he attended sports events in Knoxville at at Atlantis the entire week would question the validity of John's reporting.
John said would make his pick within 72 hours but, though he implied it, he never said it would be announced
If indeed it is Monday it will NOT be Gruden, as he will be in Pittsburgh for his Monday night gig.
Given the above, and the general perception that Currie has had a big fish then my guess would be Peterson.  I would note that the buzz of Mullen essential died when the rubber hit the road, as in their season ended.  Peterson would fit in the Currie MO in that until late yesterday there has been little or no speculation regarding him. If it is indeed Peterson I think he could do very well here, given the right staff
Petersen would be about as good a hire as one could ask for, if he is the man. As for the last sentence in your post, I'm sure a lot of folks said the same thing about the last three Vol hires.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 06:06:24 EST »

Petersen would be about as good a hire as one could ask for, if he is the man. As for the last sentence in your post, I'm sure a lot of folks said the same thing about the last three Vol hires.
Do you even have a CLUE why I wrote the last phrase??

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 06:21:55 EST »

Do you even have a CLUE why I wrote the last phrase??
I do actually. But you could say that about most coaches. One of Jones biggest shortcomings was the staff he assembled around him. Most all really good coaches have great staffs beside them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:23:57 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 06:24:10 EST »

I do actually. But you could say that about most coaches. One of Jones biggest shortcomings was the staff he chose to have around him. I agree with you on this. I didn't mean it in a negative way....believe it or not...lol.
Not even close but here is a lovely edition of the home game to take with you

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 06:52:44 EST »

Not even close but here is a lovely edition of the home game to take with you
Well then clue me in. I'm used to folks that say what they mean instead of beating around the bush. What I read was "Petersen could do good here given the right staff". Well duh on me.

volsboyinsodak
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 07:42:35 EST »

Well, that and...

lol, well played

11B4PJ3F7
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 08:51:59 EST »

Chip Kelly: While attention centers on Florida and UCLA, Kelly has turned down overtures from Tennessee and Nebraska according to George Schroeder of USA Today. Schroeder also reports that Kelly is intrigued by a potential opening at Arizona State, whose affiliation with Adidas would be less of a sticking point for close friend Phil Knight than UCLA-affiliated Under Armour, who Knight considers “a bitter rival.”

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 08:53:57 EST »

Chip Kelly: While attention centers on Florida and UCLA, Kelly has turned down overtures from Tennessee and Nebraska according to George Schroeder of USA Today. Schroeder also reports that Kelly is intrigued by a potential opening at Arizona State, whose affiliation with Adidas would be less of a sticking point for close friend Phil Knight than UCLA-affiliated Under Armour, who Knight considers “a bitter rival.”
Considering ALL the major spots outlets have confirmed Kelly to UCLA, spot on - if you consider us not offering, turning down then again, spot on

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 08:57:06 EST »

Considering ALL the major spots outlets have confirmed Kelly to UCLA, spot on - if you consider us not offering, turning down then again, spot on

DFTT

11B4PJ3F7
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 08:59:02 EST »

Your point?  From what I've heard, Tennessee never contacted Kelly.  And, Schroeder was off base almost entirely.  Pure, incorrect speculation.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 09:30:03 EST »

well this was from a day or two ago. So there. I know it's hard for some here to believe coaches turn down the Tennessee job. 

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: