VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 03:21:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assuming we run the spread  (Read 5022 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:22 EST »

and assuming the big 3 go pro (not a risky assumption) what do we have?
The OL should be ok, perhaps a bit slow but should not be an issue with the Cinti version of the spread.
The current RBs are not good spread running backs but their pass catching ability is a plus.  We need a quality, SEC caliber RB in this class.
The remaining WR should do ok with spread routes.  Pig should do well.  We need to restock at WR as after Pig and Dallas we don't have much.
Peterman at QB

On defense, most any resonable DC will result in an improved defense - not a difficult task given the baseline

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 06:49:30 EST »

I hope we don't go spread, but if works so be it. I just want to be physical in the run game.

The defense would get better if they didn't hire a dc. I am anxious to see who he retains and who gets fired.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:49:51 EST »

and assuming the big 3 go pro (not a risky assumption) what do we have?
The OL should be ok, perhaps a bit slow but should not be an issue with the Cinti version of the spread.
The current RBs are not good spread running backs but their pass catching ability is a plus.  We need a quality, SEC caliber RB in this class.
The remaining WR should do ok with spread routes.  Pig should do well.  We need to restock at WR as after Pig and Dallas we don't have much.
Peterman at QB

On defense, most any resonable DC will result in an improved defense - not a difficult task given the baseline

Neal may not be a bad spread HB . . . and if we do indeed run that kind of offense it would not surprise me in the least if Pig is moved to HB. I agree that there's a decent chance your QB is Peterman and that the WR will be OK even losing the big three.

Unless Jones hires Bozo the Clown as DC the defense will show some improvement. If we can just get the defense into the "average" range . . . 60 something in total and scoring . . . then 7 wins is a realistic demand. All that requires is beating UK, Vandy, Mizzou, and Auburn. Very doable considering the circumstances.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:50:09 EST »

Well  now see? You can too say something sorta nice.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:53:26 EST »

Neal may not be a bad spread HB . . . and if we do indeed run that kind of offense it would not surprise me in the least if Pig is moved to HB. I agree that there's a decent chance your QB is Peterman and that the WR will be OK even losing the big three.

Unless Jones hires Bozo the Clown as DC the defense will show some improvement. If we can just get the defense into the "average" range . . . 60 something in total and scoring . . . then 7 wins is a realistic demand. All that requires is beating UK, Vandy, Mizzou, and Auburn. Very doable considering the circumstances.

Auburn will be a very interesting game.  New coach vs. new coach.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:01:44 EST »

The current OL is definitely NOT a spread OL. Too big and slow.

Peterman is certainly in play at QB. He is a run/pass threat

Pig, Dallas, and Quenshaun Watson have the speed. Jason Croom could be interesting, maybe as a TE. Actually we need a RB in this class desperately.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:03:07 EST »

I had not tought of moving Pig to HB but he should fit that position well in the spread and yes Neal would be an adequte backup
The only issue with moving Pig to HB is we are thin at WR, essentually Dallas, Carter and Croom

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:05:42 EST »

The only issue with moving Pig to HB is we are thin at WR, essentually Dallas, Carter and Croom

Prolly shouldn't sleep on Bowles or Blanc at this stage. They may end up OK. But that is a big time position of need if both Hunter and Patterson jump.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 07:05:58 EST »

The current OL is definitely NOT a spread OL. Too big and slow.

Peterman is certainly in play at QB. He is a run/pass threat

Pig, Dallas, and Quenshaun Watson have the speed. Jason Croom could be interesting, maybe as a TE. Actually we need a RB in this class desperately.

If we run the Cinti version the OL will be OK.  If we ran the urban liar version not so much

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 07:08:27 EST »

If we run the Cinti version the OL will be OK.  If we ran the urban liar version not so much

we're not going to run a spread option

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 07:11:14 EST »

we're not going to run a spread option

That's the offense CBJ runs isn't it?

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 07:13:53 EST »

That's the offense CBJ runs isn't it?

No. There's the Speed WR spread where you line up with speed guys, spread out the D, and throw short to fast guys and run with smaller fast guys, which Cincy ran. It requores a QB who can throw with accuracy and also run well. TX Tech and Oklahoma state run it. The spread option is more of a run first offense which is much more dependent on a great running QB. Florida ran that with Tebow. Meyer runs it at Ohio state too.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 07:19:03 EST »

No. There's the Speed WR spread where you line up with speed guys, spread out the D, and throw short to fast guys and run with smaller fast guys, which Cincy ran. It requores a QB who can throw with accuracy and also run well. TX Tech and Oklahoma state run it. The spread option is more of a run first offense which is much more dependent on a great running QB. Florida ran that with Tebow. Meyer runs it at Ohio state too.

It's really a newer version of the "West Coast" offense.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 07:21:07 EST »

It's really a newer version of the "West Coast" offense.

Then there's always the spread option run at Georgia Tech by Paul Johnson

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: