VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 03:00:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on the SEC and our chances  (Read 5633 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2015, 05:42:52 EDT »

First - Overall I think the SEC is down this year. I don't think any team in the east is going to win the SEC.

- The east is winnable for UT. To do so we HAVE to beat FL. If we do it will be the winner of the UT-UGA game
- I have watched all three of FL games. Their defense is legit. Their offense is average to poor. Will Grier has decent mobility but limited as a passer. Harris is a good runner and very limited passing. They don't have lots of options on offense. Their OL is not very good, UK was getting pressure all night.
- If UT wants to beat FL they will have to have a deep threat, be willing to go outside, and be willing to have Dobbs run the ball on the read zone. FL will clog up the inside, so running there will be futile. Dobbs needs to be careful and on time with passes - Gators have a very good secondary.
- Mizzou sucks. We need to beat that garbage team this year.
- SCe really sucks, both on offense and defense, long year for the ball coach
- I will admit that I wasn't sure LSU could get it done - but early it looks like LSU/OM for the west. Things can change though.
- Fournette is a beast. Heisman frontrunner for sure. Glad we do not play either LSU or OM this year. Wish we played AU instead of Bama.
- Bama isn't what they have been. They are beatable, mainly because they have inconsistency at QB, and turn the ball over.
- UT could have one of the best special teams in the country. Punter is great, returns are great, and if Medley gets it together, like it looks like he is, this could be a big edge for them this year and likely wins us a game. Just a few years ago this part of our game was abysmal.
- Don't be fooled by Grayson Lambert's big day vs USCe. That is a bad defense. He isn't that good - needs pressure which they never applied. UGA does have a really tough 1-2 RB punch though.
- Gus Mazahn has a problem. His Defense will all of those highly rated guys, isn't very good. Muschamp isn't the savior I guess? His offense is also very pedestrian. I think Auburn could be in danger of having a losing season.
- Arkansas misses J Williams, but their defense has also not been good.

Bottom line: Games we need to, and should win: Mizzou, UK, Vandy, Florida, SCe, Arkansas, North Texas

Games we will have a lot of trouble winning: Bama, UGA.

If it goes with that script we finish 9-3.
VOLveeta
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 06:18:51 EDT »

Good post, buddy.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 09:44:18 EDT »

First - Overall I think the SEC is down this year. I don't think any team in the east is going to win the SEC.

- The east is winnable for UT. To do so we HAVE to beat FL. If we do it will be the winner of the UT-UGA game
- I have watched all three of FL games. Their defense is legit. Their offense is average to poor. Will Grier has decent mobility but limited as a passer. Harris is a good runner and very limited passing. They don't have lots of options on offense. Their OL is not very good, UK was getting pressure all night.
- If UT wants to beat FL they will have to have a deep threat, be willing to go outside, and be willing to have Dobbs run the ball on the read zone. FL will clog up the inside, so running there will be futile. Dobbs needs to be careful and on time with passes - Gators have a very good secondary.
- Mizzou sucks. We need to beat that garbage team this year.
- SCe really sucks, both on offense and defense, long year for the ball coach
- I will admit that I wasn't sure LSU could get it done - but early it looks like LSU/OM for the west. Things can change though.
- Fournette is a beast. Heisman frontrunner for sure. Glad we do not play either LSU or OM this year. Wish we played AU instead of Bama.
- Bama isn't what they have been. They are beatable, mainly because they have inconsistency at QB, and turn the ball over.
- UT could have one of the best special teams in the country. Punter is great, returns are great, and if Medley gets it together, like it looks like he is, this could be a big edge for them this year and likely wins us a game. Just a few years ago this part of our game was abysmal.
- Don't be fooled by Grayson Lambert's big day vs USCe. That is a bad defense. He isn't that good - needs pressure which they never applied. UGA does have a really tough 1-2 RB punch though.
- Gus Mazahn has a problem. His Defense will all of those highly rated guys, isn't very good. Muschamp isn't the savior I guess? His offense is also very pedestrian. I think Auburn could be in danger of having a losing season.
- Arkansas misses J Williams, but their defense has also not been good.

Bottom line: Games we need to, and should win: Mizzou, UK, Vandy, Florida, SCe, Arkansas, North Texas

Games we will have a lot of trouble winning: Bama, UGA.

If it goes with that script we finish 9-3.

The thing that gives me hope is that we played uga close two years running.  We can beat them, for sure.

Heck, if bammer loses again before they play us, we might even have a shot at them.  Satan tends to dial it in when he's not in the show.

I am going to go all in, predict 7-1 in the SEC and that we pay LSU back in the SECC for 2001.   

But oh wait, we play the gators first.  hm, let's win that one....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:55:26 EDT »

Hate to break it to you, but the Vols aren't beating UGA this year. Or Bama.   

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 03:01:27 EDT »

GA is looking pretty solid, and Bama won't be turning it over 5 times in a game anytime soon.  I think we can give you both a game, and if freshmen emerge and we get a few breaks, it's not impossible.  But with a weak OL and a good, but not great, QB, you're probably right.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 03:44:03 EDT »

The odds say Georgia wins, but if Mark Richt were my coach, I'd never feel confident speaking in absolutes like that.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 04:05:22 EDT »

we were a hairlash from beating you the last two years in a row. Hell...DOOLEY almost beat you guys in 2012, so let's make that THREE years in a row, and that with worse teams than we have now.

I would be worried if I were an uga fan.  But don't let it trouble you....go ahead and have your delusions.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 08:52:06 EDT »

Lambert had a good game at home against a really bad defense. How good will he be on the road against a much better one? UT-UGA will be a pretty good game.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 02:19:54 EDT »

Obviously I hope we win the East and get to the SECCG, but I just don't see it happening.  I am officially in "show me" mode at this point. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 02:52:30 EDT »

Georgia has looked good against pretty weak opposition. Same for UT. UT played well against Oklahoma, and let it get away. I don't think UT will beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa (but they could), recent history with UT & Georgia has me scratching my head at your abundance of optimism. We shall see. I think Tennessee will have a great shot to beat Georgia in Knoxville. Always seem to play Georgia tough even with inferior talent. Must be all those jawga boys on the roster

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 04:17:46 EDT »

I'll just be happy with a win over the Gators first. I think this is an important game in Butch's career. If he loses to UF, the fans will be in a tizzy. And rightly so.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 04:54:12 EDT »

I hate Bama, but I wouldn't write their obituary just yet. They comitted 5 turnovers and still fought back to get within 6. They had the ball with a chance to win but threw an int. I think their defense was way over-rated coming into the season though. They have given up 40+ points a few times recently.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 05:20:12 EDT »

Another thing, UGa just had 22 yards total offense more than Vandy. That doesn't seem like a sound defense for UGa.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 07:10:17 EDT »

I hate Bama, but I wouldn't write their obituary just yet. They comitted 5 turnovers and still fought back to get within 6. They had the ball with a chance to win but threw an int. I think their defense was way over-rated coming into the season though. They have given up 40+ points a few times recently.

Yes it is overated.  I made this point on Finebaum on Friday.  I reckon I was right.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: