VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 12:51:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well...we could be Kentucky I guess  (Read 4089 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2017, 01:27:52 EDT »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:28:01 EDT »

Aren't we Kentucky already? The difference is, we choked away opportunities to beat Florida in the final minute of the game in two consecutive years. Butch and Mark Stoops are making Jim McElwain look competent in this league. Which is a good consolation prize, I guess. We definitely don't want Florida to get fed up and fire Mac. In fact, I want him to be in Gainesville for a long time to come.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:54:53 EDT »

Right now we are in the same company with KY....USEe.....Ole Miss....Vandy.....In what pecking order we are I don't know. Right now we have a average SEC defense and to be honest I don't know what to say about our offense. IMO our offense is back to the Worley days.....just hoping to pickup a 1st down or 2 before we have to send our average defense back on the field......Our offense has serious issues....Unless it changes quick we can't and won't beat the good teams because we can't score with them.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:04:40 EDT »

Did we leave Marquez Callaway in Atlanta?  He looked like a superstar in the making against GT, and has been mostly MIA ever since.  I saw that he was only targeted once yesterday, and that one was incomplete.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:19:24 EDT »

We kind already are UK. A UF 28-27 win has an eerie familiarity for me.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 04:32:57 EDT »

I think it's safe to say that all of the coaching changes Butch made in the offseason have mostly been for the worse.  Turning over most of your staff is usually a desperation move, and a HC usually only gets to do that once.  And if it doesn't work, we know what happens next...

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:11:54 EDT »

I meant specifically, for those who didn't see the game or replays, that UK made a mistake just as embarassing as ours, but TWICE.  They left a WR on the line completely uncovered...TWICE.  This accounted for 14 of the Gators 28 points.  I suppose the other 14 were legit, but the 14 I refer to here were gifted by Kentucky.  TWICE.  The last one with about a minute left.  And yes, I do think that's worse than all our screwups combined.

I don't mean to imply that I am happy in any way with our huge choke job.  Particularly when Florida's best WR and arguably best RB are among nine players suspended.

As to the comments that we "are Kentucky", I disagree.  We beat Florida at home decisively last year and our choke job was on the road.  I believe that had this year's game been in Neyland, we would have won even with a large number of mistakes.  Furthermore, we are not yet Kentucky because we beat them last year and every other year since 1984 with the glaring exception of 2011.  The only good thing about that game was that it rid us of Dooley, although that took another year to play out for financial reasons.

What I will say is, right now, at this point in the season, I agree that it certainly looks like we are in the same class as Kentucky, which is middle of the pack SEC with a danger of going into the bottom third.  Season has to play out, but right now it looks that way, and I'm no happier than any of you.

Still and yet, I hope I am proven wrong.  My expectations are low, but I am going to continue to be an optimist and hope a much more energized and focused team shows up against Uga.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 10:38:52 EDT »

Kentucky's two screws ups were also both immediately following time outs. Seriously, how does that happen?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 11:39:41 EDT »

I think it's safe to say that all of the coaching changes Butch made in the offseason have mostly been for the worse.  Turning over most of your staff is usually a desperation move, and a HC usually only gets to do that once.  And if it doesn't work, we know what happens next...

I was a big fan, for the most part, of our former OC from last year.  He departed voluntarily (pun here somewhere?   ), as he is quite old and would likely prefer to go fishing than listen to the constant fan bellyaching.  Of which, we set a record for points last year. Not points per game, that records still lives in 1997, but total points (more total games these days).  Which goes to show, we had a great OC!  And one very unappreciated.

Now having said that, maybe part of the reason he left was he didn't relish either trying to fit Dormady into the read option and/or breaking in Guarantano.  And given that there was a lot of bitching about him last year, I can't say I blame him!  In short, he left because he knew how valuable Dobbs was in this offense.

My guess is that Butch would have preferred he stay.  I don't think he needed to for either financial or ego reasons and GTFO while the getting was good.

And I don't blame him one bit.  I miss him, and those critical of him would, if they possessed either the knack for self-reflection and even a modest amount of additional gray matter.   

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 11:46:56 EDT »

Debord didn't retire and go fishing......He's the OC at Indiana.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 02:34:29 EDT »

Debord didn't retire and go fishing......He's the OC at Indiana.

And they are doing quite well.  Whatever else he did, it was obviously better than listen to a bunch of whiny ass titty babies in a year we literally set a record for points scored.  That and he probably wanted to get the hell out of Dodge because Dobbs was gone.

And they scored 21 first half points on OSU, 34 on Virginia in a win, and just Saturday 52 on Georgia Southern.  So far a team that averaged 26 last year is averaging 35.

I'd take Debord back in a heartbeat....

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 05:22:33 EDT »

And they are doing quite well.  Whatever else he did, it was obviously better than listen to a bunch of whiny ass titty babies in a year we literally set a record for points scored.  That and he probably wanted to get the hell out of Dodge because Dobbs was gone.

And they scored 21 first half points on OSU, 34 on Virginia in a win, and just Saturday 52 on Georgia Southern.  So far a team that averaged 26 last year is averaging 35.

I'd take Debord back in a heartbeat....

I had a long sit down talk with Debord last December....He's from Indiana and his family was there and he wanted to get back closer to his family. He didn't know at the time the Indy OC job would become open after the first of the year. It happened and he was offered and he took it. Best of both worlds for him.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 04:38:44 EDT »

I had a long sit down talk with Debord last December....He's from Indiana and his family was there and he wanted to get back closer to his family. He didn't know at the time the Indy OC job would become open after the first of the year. It happened and he was offered and he took it. Best of both worlds for him.

That's fantastic.  I wish him luck, and sincerely regret his loss.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: