VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 07:09:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about the gravity of today's Butch Jones presser  (Read 5588 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:47:55 EDT »

That Butch Jones went medieval on the press is not earth-shattering news. He's used the "fake news" term previously this year, and he went off on the press a couple of times last year when things started to get hairy late in the season.

But the biggest story of today's meltdown wasn't that he went off; it was who he went off on. Jimmy Hyams asked a very simple question about Shy Tuttle. It wasn't a question that was out of line. It wasn't a question that wouldn't have been asked at any other SEC school. And Butch went on a tangent.

If there is anyone in the UT press corps who could be considered an ally of Jones, it would be Jimmy Hyams. Or Mike Griffith. Those are the two guys who will defend him when the rest of the beat guys are being critical of him. And today Butch raked his ally over the coals.

To me, that suggests that Butch is beginning to crack under the pressure. I think it's looking increasingly doubtful that he returns next season. I just don't see it, at this point. And if some of the rumors that are beginning to emerge from a couple of talk show hosts are true, he probably won't make it until the end of the season.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 04:49:29 EDT »

That Butch Jones went medieval on the press is not earth-shattering news. He's used the "fake news" term previously this year, and he went off on the press a couple of times last year when things started to get hairy late in the season.

But the biggest story of today's meltdown wasn't that he went off; it was who he went off on. Jimmy Hyams asked a very simple question about Shy Tuttle. It wasn't a question that was out of line. It wasn't a question that wouldn't have been asked at any other SEC school. And Butch went on a tangent.

If there is anyone in the UT press corps who could be considered an ally of Jones, it would be Jimmy Hyams. Or Mike Griffith. Those are the two guys who will defend him when the rest of the beat guys are being critical of him. And today Butch raked his ally over the coals.

To me, that suggests that Butch is beginning to crack under the pressure. I think it's looking increasingly doubtful that he returns next season. I just don't see it, at this point. And if some of the rumors that are beginning to emerge from a couple of talk show hosts are true, he probably won't make it until the end of the season.

Fake drama.   

Line em up and play ball. If I want this, I will set my DVR to "The Young and the Restless" (is that even still a thing?).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 04:53:52 EDT »

To me, that suggests that Butch is beginning to crack under the pressure. I think it's looking increasingly doubtful that he returns next season. I just don't see it, at this point. And if some of the rumors that are beginning to emerge from a couple of talk show hosts are true, he probably won't zmake it until the end of the season.

And what are these rumors? Let's have it. You obviously aren't coming with new info. Share it so that we might all play. Why be an anonymous message board "insider" and be arcane?
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:57:14 EDT »

And what are these rumors? Let's have it. You obviously aren't coming with new info. Share it so that we might all play. Why be an anonymous message board "insider" and be arcane?

They aren't my rumors and I can't substantiate them so it isn't for me to repeat them. They're out there for anyone who wants to go read about them though.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 03:32:34 EDT »

Not sure what rumors are referred to,  but for instance: http://tonybasilio.com/?page=tony

Android what are these rumors? Let's have it. You obviously aren't coming with new info. Share it so that we might all play. Why be an anonymous message board "insider" and be arcane?

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 03:58:15 EDT »

Not sure what rumors are referred to,  but for instance: http://tonybasilio.com/?page=tony

Well I'm aware of this though I typically don't read Basilio. Might start now :) IMO we are witnessing a "wheels coming off" season. I hope I'm wrong. I have been a defender to a fault. Frankly I give up.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 04:12:06 EDT »

Hope we are not going to see this

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 05:12:16 EDT »

Obviously fights happen and I don't even consider the fight a huge deal.  But Butch being Butch tried and epically failed to spin the narrative and made it into a bigger story than it ever would have been.  So to me, yes it is glaringly obvious he's cracking. 

I don't expect him back next year at all.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 05:36:25 EDT »

It wasn't the media that failed to score from 1st and goal at the one inch line at UF or struggled against UMass.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:13:36 EDT »

It wasn't the media that failed to score from 1st and goal at the one inch line at UF or struggled against UMass.

No, but it was Palmer (WR no.5) who:

1. ran a bad route on first down
2. Dropped a TD pass on the second first down (following the Uga taunting penalty)
3. broke off his route early on 3rd down directly contributing to the pick

I do blame coaching on that drive...for starting a true frosh WR when a veteran might have at least run the routes correctly.  George was warming the pine.  Maybe not the fastest, but that doesn't matter anyway at the half yard line.l

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 11:28:53 EDT »

No, but it was Palmer (WR no.5) who:

1. ran a bad route on first down
2. Dropped a TD pass on the second first down (following the Uga taunting penalty)
3. broke off his route early on 3rd down directly contributing to the pick

I do blame coaching on that drive...for starting a true frosh WR when a veteran might have at least run the routes correctly.  George was warming the pine.  Maybe not the fastest, but that doesn't matter anyway at the half yard line.l

You got to admit the plays were there. BUT why is Josh Palmer one of the few freshmen deemed worthy? I can't answer that. Seems odd though. Why not throw those balls to Calloway or Johnson? Just another devastating, gut stomping loss.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:36:07 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 11:30:30 EDT »

By the plays being there, I'm also referencing Kelly's drop too. Even as good as he was in that game.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:45:11 EDT »

But me personally, I'd have run 4 right up the center's ass. I think it would have worked. However, had it not, you can be sure all of us Monday morning qbs would be bitching.  
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 03:16:12 EDT »

But me personally, I'd have run 4 right up the center's ass. I think it would have worked. However, had it not, you can be sure all of us Monday morning qbs would be bitching.  

yep.  McIllroy broke it down on Sports Center and pointed out that with nine in the box, the first throw to Palmer (the "almost pick" following by the taunting penalty) was actually a really good call.  And would have worked if Palmer ran the route correctly. 

But I don't care. Kelly can smash right through tackles.  Gruden said this of Elliot last night..."I don't care if there is an 8 man front, a great back will make his own blocks".    And Elliot did beat the Cards 8 man front a couple times.  I think give Kelly at least one shot, why the hell not? 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: