VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 12:07:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We are 34th in scoring defense  (Read 539 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2022, 09:27:19 EDT »

which is highly misleading since it includes near shutouts of Akron and Ball State.  If we take the average of 30 ppg of just Florida and Pitt, then we are 90th, which is more in line with our other defensive statistics such as total yards (96th).

Hopefully this will improve. It is going to need to.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 09:44:15 EDT »

which is highly misleading since it includes near shutouts of Akron and Ball State.  If we take the average of 30 ppg of just Florida and Pitt, then we are 90th, which is more in line with our other defensive statistics such as total yards (96th).

Just don’t have the dudes yet, but they’re coming. If we just have a top 30-ish defense over a full season, we’re a playoff team.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 10:45:47 EDT »

Just don’t have the dudes yet, but they’re coming. If we just have a top 30-ish defense over a full season, we’re a playoff team.

Can't argue with that.  I would point out that Hooker will be gone, and I don't know how replaceable he is.  Milton has looked good and we have two highly rated guys behind him for the future, but Hooker will be hard to replace IMO no matter who replaces him.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 10:48:23 EDT »

I'll also add that at least we are holding Akron and Ball State to a near shut out, as we should. Our previous coaches seemed to struggle against at least one overmatched OOC opponent per year.   

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 12:00:26 EDT »

I’m not debating that we have an outstanding defense, because I don’t think we do. Having said that, however, a lot of other teams have played cupcake games in the first 4 weeks of the season. That would skew the stats for all teams.

This, I think, is the Golden Ring. If we can grab it, we can be really, really good.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 01:52:35 EDT »

Pass defense is ranked 128th in the country....Can't get but about 2 more spots to the bottom since there are 130 D1 teams.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 03:27:11 EDT »

Pass defense is ranked 128th in the country....Can't get but about 2 more spots to the bottom since there are 130 D1 teams.

Yes, this. Which is why I feel the idea of shoring up our secondary with some wide receivers was a good (GREAT) idea, which someone else on the board brought up. Let's hope the coaching staff... Crunches the numbers, I mean if laymen such as we (us) can perceive the need.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:30:18 EDT by tshadow » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 05:36:09 EDT »

And that includes the cupcakes.  Though as Jefferson Co points out, everyone else has played them also.  Uga stands out particularly for that 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: