VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 11:04:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Vols' culture  (Read 2108 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:07:11 EST »

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=ncfnation&id=73866
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:30:30 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:33:42 EST »

Please, let's just have an equitable playing field (pun intended) with all the bammers and everyone else in the SEC. Tell the vampires in the Admin, etc., to stop sucking the blood out of the AD and to go pound sand!
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:00:28 EST »

You read things like that and then you wonder, "Why did anyone ever think Gruden was actually going to come to Tennessee?"
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:21 EST »

It's still kind of vague as to what the real problem is.

1. One of the biggest reasons that Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart pushed his chips behind Butch Jones is he believed that Jones had the chops to serve as an advocate in the Hart’s attempt to change the culture on campus. The university administration has used the athletic department as an ATM, saddling it with financial responsibilities that the Vols’ SEC competitors don’t have. Hart wanted his new coach to be able -- and willing -- to explain how that financial burden translates onto the field

using the AD "as an ATM". Well that has already been addressed, at least for the next three years.  The only other things I have heard are that the academic side completely controls the tutoring center and that sometimes students have had trouble being eligible.

For the tutoring center, I am not sure what the big deal would be.  We had a scandal over that ~ 12 years ago, and if we are being a bit more careful with how the athletes are tutored, what is the big deal?   They will either put the work into class or not.   

As for the eligibility, maybe it's a factor but I have only heard of it affecting one or maybe two players, and that's completely second hand.  This is probably the hardest to pin down of all the "disadvantages" that incur at UT from the academic side.   I guess I would say that if the NCAA and SEC clear them, that should be good enough for UT and leave it at that.  But I haven't really heard that this is a big problem.

It seems to be mostly financial, which has been (at least temporarily) addressed.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:09:50 EST »

Until either Hart or Cheek come out an say what this great problem is, IMO it is an Urban Myth. What are these barriers?  Unless someone can define them and demonstrate this is a problem, there is no problem.  If you are complaining because some stud is to dumb to pass high school and get in, that is just too bad.  If you are complaining because UT had dropped degree programs, you only have state government to blame because the actual dollar value to academics has fallen each year so UT is having to judge programs on the basis of best value to the student rather than "Let's have a hokey degree to keep athletes eligible."

Unless Hart can come forward with a list of problems and recommended solutions, he and every one else should shut up.  UT is not there to support the football program.  They are supposed to be student-athletes so go be a student.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: