VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 09:34:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SO...How does Butch get 8 wins this year?  (Read 6879 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:23:31 EST »

It's not fair, and it probably shouldn't be the expectation, but IMO he needs to get 8 wins. He needs a stellar 2014 recruiting class, and by that I mean top 5. He simply isn't going to get that class without recruits seeing some improvements, and what better way to improve the perception that you are a bottom tier SEC team than beat some good teams. To get 8 wins, he will have to

1 - Win the games he will be favored in
2 - Win a couple of games he won't be favored in.

Dooley could simply not get over that hump. I think with good coaching, we could possibly get it done. Two teams that we could beat at home this year are UGA and SCe. We came close last year. What it will take is a better game plan, good offensive execution, and better defense. I can't imagine the defense could be worse. If they can just hold their own we have a chance. We have some things going for us. Good offense, Strong OL, veteran DL.

He also needs to beat Auburn, Vandy, Missouri, and UK. These teams will be very much beatable.

I know most think 6-6 or 5-7, but if we do that, the recruits WILL not come, in state, legacy, or whatever. Most kids won't want to play for a losing program. Change that perception. Get some positive vibes going, tell recruits that you beat UGA, you beat USCe, and the floodgates in recruiting will open. The talent in state is excellent. We have a lot of legacy kids.

8 wins. Wins against key rivals. Pull off some upsets. That is what will jump start the program again. Very critical.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:41:29 EST »

It's not fair, and it probably shouldn't be the expectation, but IMO he needs to get 8 wins. He needs a stellar 2014 recruiting class, and by that I mean top 5. He simply isn't going to get that class without recruits seeing some improvements, and what better way to improve the perception that you are a bottom tier SEC team than beat some good teams. To get 8 wins, he will have to

1 - Win the games he will be favored in
2 - Win a couple of games he won't be favored in.

Dooley could simply not get over that hump. I think with good coaching, we could possibly get it done. Two teams that we could beat at home this year are UGA and SCe. We came close last year. What it will take is a better game plan, good offensive execution, and better defense. I can't imagine the defense could be worse. If they can just hold their own we have a chance. We have some things going for us. Good offense, Strong OL, veteran DL.

He also needs to beat Auburn, Vandy, Missouri, and UK. These teams will be very much beatable.

I know most think 6-6 or 5-7, but if we do that, the recruits WILL not come, in state, legacy, or whatever. Most kids won't want to play for a losing program. Change that perception. Get some positive vibes going, tell recruits that you beat UGA, you beat USCe, and the floodgates in recruiting will open. The talent in state is excellent. We have a lot of legacy kids.

8 wins. Wins against key rivals. Pull off some upsets. That is what will jump start the program again. Very critical.

Tennessee hasn't won a bowl game in 5 years. Get to one and win it, and I think you have shown recruits what you need to show them. That's all Hugh Freeze had to sell (other than hundred dollar handshakes). So in the end that could mean as few as seven wins, but 8 would surely be better.

I see five games that SHOULD be won:

Code:
Aug. 31	Austin Peay
Sep. 7 Western Kentucky
Sep. 28 South Alabama
Nov. 23 Vanderbilt *
Nov. 30 at Kentucky *

And four games that could be seen as opportunities for a good win, probably as the underdog:

Code:
Oct. 5	Georgia *	
Oct. 19 South Carolina *
Nov. 2 at Missouri *
Nov. 9 Auburn *

We are not winning any of these:

Code:
Sep. 14	at Oregon
Sep. 21 at Florida *
Oct. 26 at Alabama *

So the plan is simple: you win the five you should, you win one or two from the opportunity group and a lower tier bowl game, and you're there. That's showing enough that recruits will think the trajectory is upward. In the end that's only asking to win 1 or 2 road games and 3-4 SEC games. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility if Jones is the coach we hope he is.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:55:08 EST »

As I look at that schedule again, I think we're pretty fortunate the way things line up in the SEC schedule. Two likely SEC losses are @UF and @Bammer, but I wouldn't see us winning them at home either. Getting SC and UGA at home instead raises the likelihood of stealing a win, IMO (reverse the four and I think we lose all four). And playing VU at home and @UK makes it more likely to come away with two wins instead of one there. Our chances of 7-8 wins are much better with this being an odd year rather than an even year.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:06 EST »

UGA, SCe, and AU are all at home. I don't see AU being that great this season, they have offensive issues and no QB. Key will be to win those games. Bama, FL, and Oregon are away games, which is actually good, because we'd lose those home or away.

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:59:54 EST »

Tennessee will probably ahve their hands full with Bobby Petrino at Western Kentucky That is not a sure fire win IMO.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:10:16 EST »

Good analysis. Man it is tougher than I ever imagined to get up off the mat! We were competitive with USCe, and jawga last year. Coulda, shoulda. Missouri was a joke! Vandy was an implosion. Surely we can catch a couple breaks at some point!
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 01:55:18 EST »

How does he get 8 wins? He should probably quit and go to work for nicky saban if he wants 8 wins next year.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:19:51 EST »

I said before this past season that my expectation was 9 wins.  A lot of people said that was too high, even though we returned 20 starters.  But now, looking back on the season, we SHOULD have won 10 or 11.  Really, the only game we were pretty much out of completely was bammer.  An average coach wins the games against USC, UGA, Mizzou, MSU, and Vandy.  An above average coach (not GREAT, just above average) beats UF.  This team was WAY too talented and experienced to have only won 5. 

I bring this up as a means of setting a baseline for next year.  Most will look at the situation and say, "we're losing our QB and top playmakers from a team that only won 5 games, so we should be the same or even worse this year".  On the surface of it, that's true.  But I prefer to look at last year's team as what they SHOULD have been with any coaching at all; ie 10 wins and a NYD bowl.  Going off of that, we're less talented, but have upgraded the coaching (I'll say that right now, sight unseen.  I mean, Butch may not be the second coming of Neyland, but he can't be any worse than Dooley, right?  RIGHT?).  So yeah, I think 8 wins is very reachable this year, and I'll be disappointed with less.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:14:28 EST »

We beat vandy uk missouri....one of usc or au...hold serve in 3 ooc games and win the bowl game

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 05:04:19 EST »

The reality is that your team lacks playmakers on both sides of the ball, your coaches are mediocre, as is your recruiting class.  UT isn't beating UGA or USCe, and probably not Vandy this year.  I don't believe UT's program has bottomed out yet.

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 05:15:06 EST »

The reality is that your team lacks playmakers on both sides of the ball, your coaches are mediocre, as is your recruiting class.  UT isn't beating UGA or USCe, and probably not Vandy this year.  I don't believe UT's program has bottomed out yet.

Good thing that we have these objective outside observers around to keep our hopes in check. I knew you guys predicting an SEC championship next year were going overboard. With our mediocre coaches we'll be lucky to beat Austin Peay.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 05:39:57 EST »

I don't understand the purpose of such a post except to prove you're a troll.

And an ass.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 06:53:04 EST »

I don't understand the purpose of such a post except to prove you're a troll.

And an ass.

I think he wins on both counts. Of course by winning, it makes him a huge loser, and that makes him a typical dawg fan.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 02:00:03 EST »

Yeah, but the reality is that you're a dumbass too. That 's not stopping you from posting is it?
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:32 EST »

UGA, SCe, and AU are all at home. I don't see AU being that great this season, they have offensive issues and no QB. Key will be to win those games. Bama, FL, and Oregon are away games, which is actually good, because we'd lose those home or away.

Oh, really?  Auburn not being great this season?  Well....get ready for the Gus Bus on 11/9, pal, cause he's bringing the Pain Train with him.

Actually, I think we will be lucky to get to 7 wins this year, unless Gus is a miracle worker.  Regardless, the first year with a new coach is always interesting.  I think that both AU and UT are going to need to win that 11/9 game in order to be bowl eligible, which will make for an interesting game.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 03:49:21 EST »

Oh, really?  Auburn not being great this season?  Well....get ready for the Gus Bus on 11/9, pal, cause he's bringing the Pain Train with him.

Actually, I think we will be lucky to get to 7 wins this year, unless Gus is a miracle worker.  Regardless, the first year with a new coach is always interesting.  I think that both AU and UT are going to need to win that 11/9 game in order to be bowl eligible, which will make for an interesting game.

Who will be AU's QB? QB play is crucial to winning in football.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 04:36:12 EST »

If UT has a smidgen of Defense UT beats UGA in 2012.....!!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 05:51:41 EST »

If UT has a smidgen of Defense UT beats UGA in 2012.....!!!!!
I witnessed the fear in the puppy dog fan eyes that afternoon.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 10:38:28 EST »

Who will be AU's QB? QB play is crucial to winning in football.

Your guess is as good as mine at this point.  I will be disappointed if we do not come out of Spring practice with at least a front runner, though. I'm guess Kiehl Frazier or our JuCo transfer Nick Marshall will be starting. It would not surprise me if Marshall starts as he is the kind of QB that Gus likes: strong passer that has quick reads and can scatter if needed. But Frazier was originally recruited by Gus to run a similar system that Cam ran during our MNC run, so he is probably the front runner going into Spring practice.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 02:29:20 EST »

nm

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: