VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 08:36:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The World Wars on the History Channel  (Read 3136 times)
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:47:21 EDT »

Anyone else excited about this?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:13:33 EDT »

Yes!!!

My grandfather fought in WWI....and I had 3 family members that fought in WWII.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 09:20:28 EDT »

Anyone else excited about this?

Very much so!  Can't wait to watch.

My grandfather fought and was taken prisoner during the Battle of the Bulge.  My mother still has the letter her mother was sent saying he was MIA.  Fortunately, he survived and was released at WW2's end.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:46:33 EDT »

Truly this country's greatest generations. I was so proud of the kids who stepped up after 9/11 and remain so proud!

I just don't think the public has the stomach or where-with-all to handle what our earlier genarations did. Thousands died in a week; we freak when 15 perish in one day! I saw an interview yesterday with a soldier who made the landing at Normandy; he still weeps today about tripping over the bodies of the fallen who went before him as he landed.

I was an EMT when ambulances were still run out of funeral homes and I worked in a hospital, both in my teens and 20's - same age as our soldiers. What I saw then still has an effect; anyone think it compares to what these soldiers deal with?

Point is, these guys gave it their all for the USA. God bless all of our troops, veterans and their families for thier sacrafices they gave for us!

GreggO

TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:44:28 EDT »

I watched the show last night and enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching again tonight.   I did not realize some of the events that took place during WWI. If I learned this back in H.S./College, it must have not stuck.  Then again, I have always been more fascinated with WWII and not paid much attention to WWI.  Last night changed that.
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 03:16:41 EDT »

Oh yes, very much so!!! Saw a little bit of it last night and I've DVR'd it. My papaw on my mothers side fought in WWII started out in North Africa then Sicily and Italy proper, and Germany. Was in the Great Crusade from start to finish. He was severly injured at the Battle of the Bulge. He told me that the fighting was so fierce and he was so tired at one point that he layed down in the snow one night and used a log for a pillow. When he woke up the next morning the log he used for a pillow was actually a dead german soldier.
My paternal grandmother had three brothers that fought in WWII, two in Europe, one in the Marine Corp, he was in the initial wave that hit Iwo Jima. I remember looking at a photo of a Japanese soldier he killed of him and his family as well as holding the Samuri sword he took and kept.
My Paternal Great Aunts husband was at Pearl Harbor when our country was attacked. He was on three ships that went down at the hands of the Japanese Navy.
And on my Maternal side I had a Great-great Uncle in WWI in the Balloon Corp!
My maternal Great-Great Grandfather fought in the Spanish-American War.
Glad to see The History Channel actually do something with History again.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:18:13 EDT by Screaming Eagle Dad » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 04:51:34 EDT »

Most people know little about WWI.....it's not mentioned much in schools over the years.

If you are ever in the Kansas City area the National WWI Museum is located there...Well, well worth the trip.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 05:39:05 EDT »

When I was a kid, I devoured every book I could get my hands on about WWII, to the point that I became bored with it.  WWI also, to a lesser extent.  It will be interesting to see the History Channel take on it though, especialy the part about the WWII leaders in WWI, which I know little about.  I know that Churchill was Lord of the Admiralty and Hitler was a Corporal, but I know almost nothing about FDR or Stalin in that time period.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: