VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 09:15:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LG unveils their newest superphone  (Read 7186 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:51:57 EDT »

5.5". 

I guess I'm just going to have to accept the fact that my next phone is going to be enormous.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-g3/

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:05 EDT »

It doesn't have to be. Just switch to iPhone. 

Truthfully, I really -- really -- like the looks of the G3.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:58:48 EDT »

It doesn't have to be. Just switch to iPhone. 

Truthfully, I really -- really -- like the looks of the G3.

I would (and I still might), but per all rumors, the new iPhone is going to be big, too.  They'll probably continue to make a smaller model, but it'll have a crappy processor, crappy camera, etc.

I also like the looks of the G3 (even though that's not real metal- it's just a metallic-looking plastic).  And spec-wise, it's every bit as good as the GS5 and 1M8.  If I were upgrading today, it's probably what I'd get.  But I'll wait and see what the next iPhone has to offer.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:01:26 EDT »

I would (and I still might), but per all rumors, the new iPhone is going to be big, too.  They'll probably continue to make a smaller model, but it'll have a crappy processor, crappy camera, etc.

I also like the looks of the G3 (even though that's not real metal- it's just a metallic-looking plastic).  And spec-wise, it's every bit as good as the GS5 and 1M8.  If I were upgrading today, it's probably what I'd get.  But I'll wait and see what the next iPhone has to offer.
4.7" and (later) a 5.5" are the persistent rumours

I will go for the 4.7", which I think is still too large for a phone.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:09:16 EDT »

I am going to upgrade soon. Most of the new phones are too big IMO. Just not easy for a man to carry. The iphones are about the smallest ones available. What to do, what to do? And I don't want a geek phone case on my belt.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:12:42 EDT »

By "like the looks," I meant "like the specs."  It IS a nice-looking phone but it would be even better if LG had gone the route of the HTC and actually made it aluminum.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 11:17:11 EDT »

Please someone, anyone, explain why you need a big screen phone. I want a rational, reasoned explanation why you need a big phone to make a call. My IPhone 5 is as large as I want and need. Anything larger is just vanity and wanting to impress others.

These big phones remind me of when people carried around those giant boom boxes on their shoulders. Now that made them look so cool.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:44 EDT »

Please someone, anyone, explain why you need a big screen phone. I want a rational, reasoned explanation why you need a big phone to make a call. My IPhone 5 is as large as I want and need. Anything larger is just vanity and wanting to impress others.

These big phones remind me of when people carried around those giant boom boxes on their shoulders. Now that made them look so cool.

You don't need it, so no one else should either? 

I don't want a large screen; my iPhone 5s is big enough for me. But wholesale dismissal of larger screens as being vanity is silly. I know a lot of people who want to maximize screen size for various reasons, and if I relied on my phone for productivity (documents, etc.) or for watching a lot of videos, I would to. Obviously you don't nee anything larger than an iPhone to make a call. But, then, if making a call is the only reason you've got a phone, why do you need a smart phone? Vanity and wanting to impress others?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 11:44:29 EDT »

I also might consider waiting a while longer.  Qualcomm has recently unveiled their newest Snapdragon 805 processor, and it absolutely crushes the 801, which is what is in all the latest phones.  As of yet, we don't know which new phone will be the first to get the 805, but whatever it is, it will automatically go to the head of the class.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 12:06:29 EDT »

Well yeah, they WERE cool.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GdkamS5axHQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/GdkamS5axHQ</a>

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 02:14:09 EDT »

I provided a reason in an earlier thread on this topic.  I manage a custom manufacturing facility (tool & die, fabrication, etc.).  I visit a lot of customers, take a lot of pictures with the need to make handwritten notes right on the pic itself, view CAD files, etc.  The large screen is a must for what I do if I don't want to carry around a tablet (which I don't). 

To each his own, live and let live...all that kind of thing...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 03:13:50 EDT »

I guess I shouldn't complain.  "Big" is a very relative term when it comes to phones.  Here's a pic of my first ever cellphone, circa 1997.  It's not Gordon Gekko big, but next to today's phones, it's huge.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 02:33:29 EDT »

Buncha Stinking Whimps Y'all are.....My Phone is TOOO Big....wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

When I started with Cellular Technology I was using this....

This was the FIRST Flip Phone inspired by Star Trek (take a bow Gene Roddenberry) and designed by the geeks at Motorola....when Cells first came out they looked like this....

So all this Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my cell phone is TOOOOO BIG.....

Get a dang pouch and put it on your belt......

Buncha dang wimps y'all are....what would General Neyland say about ya???????

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 05:54:06 EDT »

OK, I can understand if you use your phone for business and cannot or will not use a tablet. But I still think screen is too small for good detail and perspective. I also used my personal phone to communicate with work until I retired. I did not want a work-paid phone because it had way too many restrictions and strings.

I am now 63 and use my smartphone to text others mostly younger than me, especially those who live and die by text. I need a larger screen to see texts even with glasses. I have an IPad so the IPhone is so convenient because I can use the Bluetooth in my car for songs on my phone. Personally, if the IPhone was the size of 2nd generation IPod, I would like it OK.

I have a TV for video and have used a tablet some. I tried using my phone to look at CAD drawings but it is too small. I still cannot comprehend why anyone would want to watch TV or movies on a 5" screen. I have a 54" plasma and surround sound for that.

I invoked vanity because in my experience the majority of people who buy the latest and greatest bigger screen phones are simply those who have to have the latest and greatest of everything. They brag about the phone being the biggest screen, sharpest picture, etc.  I usually wait a little while to buy new stuff until the bugs and bad production runs are settled down. I also usually wait until just before the new model is due out and the price is reduced to sell the old models.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 06:41:44 EDT »

OK, I can understand if you use your phone for business and cannot or will not use a tablet. But I still think screen is too small for good detail and perspective. I also used my personal phone to communicate with work until I retired. I did not want a work-paid phone because it had way too many restrictions and strings.

I am now 63 and use my smartphone to text others mostly younger than me, especially those who live and die by text. I need a larger screen to see texts even with glasses. I have an IPad so the IPhone is so convenient because I can use the Bluetooth in my car for songs on my phone. Personally, if the IPhone was the size of 2nd generation IPod, I would like it OK.

I have a TV for video and have used a tablet some. I tried using my phone to look at CAD drawings but it is too small. I still cannot comprehend why anyone would want to watch TV or movies on a 5" screen. I have a 54" plasma and surround sound for that.
I use the ipad a lot for CAD drawings (FWD files from the USELESS BB the company forced on me).  I have used the iphone to view CAD when I only had the iphone with me and only needed to look at a specific section and that worked reasonably well.  A bigger screen on the phone really isn't the answer, just make the phone less easy to use for general day to day uses and really wouldn't help the viewing of the files.

That being said there have been times I wished I had a bigger screen (mostly due to S/W developers putting far too much crap on a page than is required for the App to work).

BTW, I think today's S/W programmers should be required to program using IBM cards in batch mode to relearn the lesson that code bloat is NOT a good thing!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 06:54:30 EDT »

I use the ipad a lot for CAD drawings (FWD files from the USELESS BB the company forced on me).  I have used the iphone to view CAD when I only had the iphone with me and only needed to look at a specific section and that worked reasonably well.  A bigger screen on the phone really isn't the answer, just make the phone less easy to use for general day to day uses and really wouldn't help the viewing of the files.

That being said there have been times I wished I had a bigger screen (mostly due to S/W developers putting far too much crap on a page than is required for the App to work).

BTW, I think today's S/W programmers should be required to program using IBM cards in batch mode to relearn the lesson that code bloat is NOT a good thing!

Hell the First Coding system I used was FORTAN/7e  so give me a card reader....

Then I learned COBOL as well......stacks swelled (yes COBOL that bane to year 2K)

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 07:07:12 EDT »

Hell the First Coding system I used was FORTAN/7e  so give me a card reader....

Then I learned COBOL as well......stacks swelled (yes COBOL that bane to year 2K)

FORTRAN 4B (IBM 360 Mainframe)

Actually coded on a (dual) UNIVAC 1120.  Mostly manipulating data in a graphical type environment (after digitizing the original analog data). 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: