VTTW Board Index
June 01, 2024, 09:26:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Of Thrones headed down the homestretch this season...  (Read 8322 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:27:08 EDT »

...These last three episodes are going to be insane.  Enjoy it, because if it follows the books, next season is going to be...somewhat less than insane. 

Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:53:23 EDT »

I've been thinking the same thing.  We have to deal with enough real world politics, to see a season's worth on GOT next year would be quite the downer.  And now that the Khaleesi ( ) has sworn off, how shall we put it, "sunning" herself it could be a season to forget.  Maybe Martin will finish the last two books this summer and give them something to work with when they start filming later this year. 

I will say though, this season has been pretty strong, though IMO last year may have been the best so far.  Of course when they killed off poor Ned I swore I wouldn't watch it anymore...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:47:14 EDT »

I think what they'll have to do is instead of following the 4th and 5th books chronologically, they'll kind of mash them up over the next two seasons.  They've started to do that with a couple storylines already.  But it next season strictly follows just book 4 then we won't even see Dany or Tyrion next year, and that just won't do.

BTW, if the final scene of the final episode this season is what I think it will be, people are going to be screaming at their TVs.  Can't wait.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:25:10 EDT »

GRRM is a fat slob who needs to get his head out of his arse.  He will never finish.  I think he dies of congestive heart failure first, but we will see.  Ever wonder why there are so many detailed descriptions of delicious food in GOT?  To the point that it even makes me hungry reading it sometimes....just take a look at his picture.   

In the meantime, I need to go ahead and pick up HBO for a month or two so I can get up to speed on GOT and True Detective.  Then drop it again for a year.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 12:39:10 EDT »

GRRM is a fat slob who needs to get his head out of his arse.  He will never finish.  I think he dies of congestive heart failure first, but we will see.  Ever wonder why there are so many detailed descriptions of delicious food in GOT?  To the point that it even makes me hungry reading it sometimes....just take a look at his picture.   

I've thought the same thing.  I mean, it took him 15 years to churn out 5 books, and the last I heard, Winds of Winter won't be published until "late 2015 at the earliest".  So by then, we'll be close to 20 years since the first book came out, and there will still be at least one book, maybe two to go after that.  Will he live that long?  Can he?  Supposedly, the producers have goaded GRRM to give them the outline of the rest of the story in advance.  I don't doubt that they're having the same concerns.

Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:39:58 EDT »

I have watched a number of gory kills in GOT and others, but last night about turned my stomach.  That was gruesome by GOT standards imo.

BDV- I'm betting you're referring to LSH for the last scene of the last episode and if so it will make the wait for next year that much longer.

Bandit - I have 3 months of HBO free and am paying this month strictly for the end of GOT.  I may have to threaten my provider with a switch next year to see if they'll knuckle under for another 3 free months but I'll need to time it out a little better.  
VOLveeta
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:05:26 EDT »

I've thought the same thing.  I mean, it took him 15 years to churn out 5 books, and the last I heard, Winds of Winter won't be published until "late 2015 at the earliest".  So by then, we'll be close to 20 years since the first book came out, and there will still be at least one book, maybe two to go after that.  Will he live that long?  Can he?  Supposedly, the producers have goaded GRRM to give them the outline of the rest of the story in advance.  I don't doubt that they're having the same concerns.

Umm... it took Tolkein AT LEAST 12 years just to write LORD OF THE RINGS.  Some say it was actually 17 years... While George RR has written five in 15 years.  As far as I know, only one person on this board has written a book... Volznut... are any of you REALLY in a position to be so condemning?  Big fat slob?  If only I was so brilliant.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:07:13 EDT by VOLveeta » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 02:10:20 EDT »

I have watched a number of gory kills in GOT and others, but last night about turned my stomach.  That was gruesome by GOT standards imo.

BDV- I'm betting you're referring to LSH for the last scene of the last episode and if so it will make the wait for next year that much longer.

Bandit - I have 3 months of HBO free and am paying this month strictly for the end of GOT.  I may have to threaten my provider with a switch next year to see if they'll knuckle under for another 3 free months but I'll need to time it out a little better.  

That kill was pretty brutal.  But I'm looking forward to seeing the good guys go on a little winning streak here over the next two weeks.  LSH is going to kick some ass.

And one thing to look forward to next season: Arianne and the Sand Snakes.  I don't know who they'll get to play Arianne on TV, but in the books, I pictured her as being even hotter than Dany.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 02:13:50 EDT »

Umm... it took Tolkein AT LEAST 12 years just to write LORD OF THE RINGS.  Some say it was actually 17 years... While George RR has written five in 15 years.  As far as I know, only one person on this board has written a book... Volznut... are any of you REALLY in a position to be so condemning?  Big fat slob?  If only I was so brilliant.

Yes, but LOTR's three volumes were published within a few months of each other, so readers weren't left hanging for 3-4 years at a time.  Maybe Bandit's choice of words was a little strong, but it IS a valid concern.  GRRM isn't a young guy, and he's not exactly the picture of health, either.  At the slow rate he's going, will he be able to finish this series?

VOLveeta
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 05:01:03 EDT »

Yes, but LOTR's three volumes were published within a few months of each other, so readers weren't left hanging for 3-4 years at a time.  Maybe Bandit's choice of words was a little strong, but it IS a valid concern.  GRRM isn't a young guy, and he's not exactly the picture of health, either.  At the slow rate he's going, will he be able to finish this series?

Holy Crap, I just watched this week's episode.  Would it EVER kill GRRM to go formula JUST ONCE??!?!?!  ;-)  I do agree and understand, if he can't finish the books, that will be tragic.  You reckon he's got someone secretly selected to finish them off if he can't?

One of these day's, I'm going to enjoy watching Cercei bite the big one.  Lena Heady is TOO good!!!  I just despise her!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 10:30:01 EDT »

Holy Crap, I just watched this week's episode.  Would it EVER kill GRRM to go formula JUST ONCE??!?!?!  ;-)  I do agree and understand, if he can't finish the books, that will be tragic.  You reckon he's got someone secretly selected to finish them off if he can't?

One of these day's, I'm going to enjoy watching Cercei bite the big one.  Lena Heady is TOO good!!!  I just despise her!

You'll be seeing a LOT of Cercei next year.  And if you think you hate her now, you just wait...

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:55:44 EDT »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/03/grrms-editor-there-might-be-8-game-of-thrones-books?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 03:47:07 EDT »

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 06:34:26 EDT »

Even though he's one of the bad guys, one of my favorite characters on the show is Tywin Lannister. Sure he's ruthless, cunning and opportunistic but the guy is just such a powerful and commanding presence.
VOLveeta
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 03:47:01 EDT »

Even though he's one of the bad guys, one of my favorite characters on the show is Tywin Lannister. Sure he's ruthless, cunning and opportunistic but the guy is just such a powerful and commanding presence.

Agree 100%!!!  Charles Dance is BRILLIANT, I can't imagine anyone else playing that role... can't believe he's not received an Emmy nod.  The scenes between him and Maisie Williams when Arya was his cup bearer... absolutely fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lp9F_P0dwA
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 11:11:25 EDT »

Well it is a valid concern that GRRM will kick the bucket.  That already happened to me with the "Wheel of Time" series.  You want to talk complex?  That one went...I can't even remember, either 13 or 14 volumes.  The last of which had to be written by a friend of the author who passed away.  I have yet to read that final installment, but might get around to it eventually.

I am being harsh deliberately by calling him a fat slob.  But...although I don't follow him on twitter, fan sites complain that he is constantly twittering about the delicious chicken wings he just had or the football game he just watched  (um, dude, ....aren't you supposed to be writing????).  And when pressed on why it takes so long to write, he gets defensive and angry.  He also attends all kinds of paid appearances and works closely with HBO.  He has pretty much stated that he is only going to concentrate on finishing as much as he wants.

So I think it's fair game to take a shot at him.  He has other priorities, fine.  But he does appear sloppy and unmotivated to this observer. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 11:27:29 EDT »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r8oOi6JOXEQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/r8oOi6JOXEQ</a>

VOLveeta
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 02:56:57 EDT »

Well it is a valid concern that GRRM will kick the bucket.  That already happened to me with the "Wheel of Time" series.  You want to talk complex?  That one went...I can't even remember, either 13 or 14 volumes.  The last of which had to be written by a friend of the author who passed away.  I have yet to read that final installment, but might get around to it eventually.

I am being harsh deliberately by calling him a fat slob.  But...although I don't follow him on twitter, fan sites complain that he is constantly twittering about the delicious chicken wings he just had or the football game he just watched  (um, dude, ....aren't you supposed to be writing????).  And when pressed on why it takes so long to write, he gets defensive and angry.  He also attends all kinds of paid appearances and works closely with HBO.  He has pretty much stated that he is only going to concentrate on finishing as much as he wants.

So I think it's fair game to take a shot at him.  He has other priorities, fine.  But he does appear sloppy and unmotivated to this observer. 

HAHAHA!!!  Wings are probably going to be the death of me too.  :-)  I can't judge a man over wings, they do entice!!!  But I hear you.  Dude's gotten bazillions of people hooked, he could be a little more focused.  And after they got rid of Una Chaplin (Rob's wife) and her magnificent hiney, I might call ANYONE a fat slob!!!  :-)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 02:21:39 EDT »

Lena Headey just posted this on Instagram, sooooooo....I guess that's happening. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 04:20:15 EDT »

Well by any measure, the finale tonight was great- but book readers are going to be VERY disappointed that they left out the ending of SOS.  I was looking forward to seeing more crazy reaction videos tomorrow.

Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 02:57:29 EDT »

Personally I was a little bummed.  They spent a whole episode on the battle at the Wall and Stannis defeats the whole bunch in less than 10 minutes. Dany's spots seem to be filler.  And no LSH REALLY disappointed.  I watched past the credits just to make sure I didn't miss it.  Just like Cersei to cruelly manipulate us via Instagram! 

I thought the whole season was excellent until the last two episodes, and the finale wasn't bad - just wasn't what I was expecting.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 03:51:58 EDT »

Personally I was a little bummed.  They spent a whole episode on the battle at the Wall and Stannis defeats the whole bunch in less than 10 minutes. Dany's spots seem to be filler.  And no LSH REALLY disappointed.  I watched past the credits just to make sure I didn't miss it.  Just like Cersei to cruelly manipulate us via Instagram!  

I thought the whole season was excellent until the last two episodes, and the finale wasn't bad - just wasn't what I was expecting.

To be fair, that is kind of how the Wall storyline happened in the book (although Jon went out there under different circumstances).  Stannis just appeared out of nowhere.

And the Hound/Brienne/Arya encounter didn't even happen in the book.  While it was awesome to watch, I would've been fine if they had left it out to save time for LSH.  My best guess is that since the source material is a lot less eventful going forward, they're saving that little surprise for next season, when it will have more impact.  I just hope they're not cutting it out entirely.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: