VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 12:53:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you have a problem with UK basketball, you must be a racist...  (Read 4079 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:41:31 EDT »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/09/sports/ncaabasketball/begrudging-the-kentucky-wildcats-success-and-opportunities.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:58:31 EDT »

What do you expect from the NY Times?
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:45:28 EDT »

Just to be clear, I have no animosity toward anyone wearing the jersey, it's the name on the jersey, the fans, the coach, and the administration that is the issue.  The red A and the blue K are the colors that trigger hatred.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:51 EDT »

Just to be clear, I have no animosity toward anyone wearing the jersey, it's the name on the jersey, the fans, the coach, and the administration that is the issue.  The red A and the blue K are the colors that trigger hatred.

For me it's more the coach. I don't mind UK, and I know many UK fans who are great people. 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:01:58 EDT »

Good grief. I get so tired of seeing the freaking race card played with every single issue. So if Calipari had taken a bunch of one-and-done white boys and won a championship, people wouldn't be saying the same things about Kentucky? That's garbage.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:04:56 EDT »

Good grief. I get so tired of seeing the freaking race card played with every single issue. So if Calipari had taken a bunch of one-and-done white boys and won a championship, people wouldn't be saying the same things about Kentucky? That's garbage.

Everyone who thinks we "haters'" main issue with Cal is the one and done thing is missing the point.  It's not that he recruits one and dones, lots of other coaches do as well.  It's how he gets them.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:08:04 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:07:35 EDT »

Everyone who thinks we "haters'" main issue with Cal is the one and done thing is missing the point.  It's not that he gets one and dones, lots of other coaches do as well.  It's how he gets them. 

Admit it. You would be okay with it if they were white.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:09:07 EDT »

Admit it. You would be okay with it if they were white.

(Putting away my Klan hood)

Yep. 

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:06 EDT »

You know, the whole thing about the way he recruits stinks. I'm not a fan of accusing someone of NCAA violations unless there's proof there and I've said that before, but it stinks. And even Kentucky fans know it stinks. One big UK fan told me the other day (and I LOL'd at this) that he was so happy that Kentucky had won the national championship, then he gets somber and adds: "I just hope we don't have to vacate it."

But I'll go ahead and admit that I'm one of the people who don't like Calipari simply because of the way he goes after the one-and-done guys. I think it's bad for college basketball, I think it's bad for higher learning, and all the other things the NYT writer mentioned...it's just that the players' skin color doesn't concern me in the least.

For the last couple of years, I took solace from the fact that Calipari couldn't get over the hump. I was even lulled by the false security that as long as he was putting that many young players on the court, they might never go all the way, regardless of how talented they are. The coaching job that he did this year was simply brilliant, IMO. Sure, Kentucky should've easily won 38-39 games based on talent alone, but to get that many young players and that many egos to buy in and play defense and do the other things that make a great TEAM, and not have that one moment where they simply folded at a critical time in the Elite Eight or Final Four because egos or inexperience got in the way, that makes this the best coaching performance of Calipari's career.

But now that Calipari has proven you can do it his way and win championships, the game as we have known it is changing right before our very eyes. Jealous? Sure I'm jealous, because I detest the guy and all that he stands for. But, frankly, I think if the NBA isn't going to require players to have a degree or at the very minimum complete three years of college eligibility before entering the draft (and obviously neither of those things are ever going to happen), they should go back to taking kids straight out of high school.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: