VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 08:30:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what needs to happen?  (Read 6161 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:03:21 EST »

Dooley obviously isn't going to be fired, but I think most fans are in agreement that there needs to be changes going forward. What should they be?

The coaches I'm especially pleased with from the current staff are Justin Wilcox, Peter Sirmon and Lance Thompson. I hope we can keep all three of them.

The coaches I'm least pleased with are Harry Hiestand, Charlie Baggett and Jim Chaney.

I'm not saying that Baggett and Chaney should be fired; only that the jury is still very much out on them. (Along with Terry Joseph and Eric Russell, IMO.)

Two things I think have to happen:

1.) Hiestand should be fired. Period.

2.) Dooley should hire a RB coach and take that responsibility out of Chaney's hands. Chaney has no business coaching RBs.

Any others?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:09:27 EST »

Dooley obviously isn't going to be fired, but I think most fans are in agreement that there needs to be changes going forward. What should they be?

The coaches I'm especially pleased with from the current staff are Justin Wilcox, Peter Sirmon and Lance Thompson. I hope we can keep all three of them.

The coaches I'm least pleased with are Harry Hiestand, Charlie Baggett and Jim Chaney.

I'm not saying that Baggett and Chaney should be fired; only that the jury is still very much out on them. (Along with Terry Joseph and Eric Russell, IMO.)

2.) Dooley should hire a RB coach and take that responsibility out of Chaney's hands. Chaney has no business coaching RBs.

Any others?
See my offense review  ;)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 05:10:22 EST »

Any others?

We have to have a running back coach. It is killing us in recruiting that we don't have anybody coaching the position on their own. Technically Chaney isn't even coaching the RBs, a GA has been doing it. Whatever they need to do to rearrange the staff to make that happen, that's what they need to do.

Other than that, I don't even care anymore to be honest. I mean I care about the outcome but I'm in "Just fix it" mode. I'm weary and I'm not spending any more money or time to go to Knoxville until they put a consistent product on the field that is worth watching. If that means shake up the staff, go for it. If that means fire the coach, that's what they need to do. I don't think I as a fan can look in from the outside and figure it out so hopefully somebody up there has a clue on how to fix it. One thing is for sure, I'm thrilled that Mike Hamilton isn't still overseeing this dumpster fire. The Hamilton era is a dark and gloomy time for UT athletics and the cloud still lingers.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:10:47 EST »

Disagree on Baggett.  What he did with Gerald Jones and especially Denarius Moore last year was tremendous.  And Rogers and Hunter (before he got hurt) showed great progress this year as well.  Give him a full offseason to develop Dallas, Arnett, and hopefully Patterson, and our WR corps could be ridiculous next year.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:14:36 EST »

Baggett? I thought he did a good job overall

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:28:40 EST »

I'm not sold on Baggett. Our WR corps was very average this year without Hunter.
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:40:16 EST »

I'm not sold on Baggett. Our WR corps was very average this year without Hunter.

You think Rogers was average?  He was one of the better WR's in the league this year.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:06:23 EST »

You think Rogers was average?  He was one of the better WR's in the league this year.

The WR corps was average. That speaks to the unit as a whole. Was Rogers good? Sure he was. Rogers is also a very good raw talent. He had a number of key drops and often struggled to get open against double coverage, although that speaks more to your OC for not having the ingenuity to create ways to get him open.

Aside from Rogers, who stepped up? Zach Rogers? Occasionally. DeAnthony Arnett? Occasionally. One receiver doesn't make a unit, and this was a very average unit...which is why we struggled to score against teams like Georgia, Vandy and Kentucky even with Bray in the lineup.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:12:10 EST »

The WR corps was average. That speaks to the unit as a whole. Was Rogers good? Sure he was. Rogers is also a very good raw talent. He had a number of key drops and often struggled to get open against double coverage, although that speaks more to your OC for not having the ingenuity to create ways to get him open.

Aside from Rogers, who stepped up? Zach Rogers? Occasionally. DeAnthony Arnett? Occasionally. One receiver doesn't make a unit, and this was a very average unit...which is why we struggled to score against teams like Georgia, Vandy and Kentucky even with Bray in the lineup.
Arnett really improved from the Florida game.  He could only run two routes then.  Now he can run most, if not al the routes, he just needs to work on some seperation skills.  So yes, Arnett improved.  A lot of his issues the last two games is Bray was not used to working with him.  Worley used his skills better, probably because they had worked more together in practice and the timing was better. 

Neal went from little or no WR skills to perhaps at least our 3rd best receiver.  Baggett can clearly coach. 

Zack Rogers has issues you can't really coach.  I don't know who was on the wrong page yesterday but the one costant was that he and Bray were not on the same page.

So I disagree and think Baggett is the best coach on the offensive side of the ball.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 06:14:06 EST »

I think Baggett could've had a better year but I think he's shown evidence of being a good coach and all of the highly rated receivers we've signed have come to be coached by him... including Darick and Hunter.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 01:01:32 EST »

Dooley and the staff need to identify the underclassmen leaders that are going to pick this team up and carry them forward in 2012. It is not sexy but a fundamental requirement for this team to succeed next season.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 01:33:32 EST »

I like Baggett. Is Norm Chow doing anything?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 06:58:28 EST »

They were going off on the lack of an RB coach on whatever radio show Terry Fair is on this morning in Knoxville.  I didn't really know we lacked one.  That could explain a lot.     I completely agree that needs to be changed.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Quasi EVol
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 01:08:25 EST »

They were going off on the lack of an RB coach on whatever radio show Terry Fair is on this morning in Knoxville.  I didn't really know we lacked one.  That could explain a lot.     I completely agree that needs to be changed.

Why should we?  We've apparently gone without a special teams coach for decades! 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 03:04:53 EST »

Agreed, I was shocked to realize we didn't have a dedicated RB coach.  An SEC team without an RB coach.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:29:27 EST »

Why should we?  We've apparently gone without a special teams coach for decades! 

exactly

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: