VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 07:12:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, Aub's Malzahn leaves..  (Read 4265 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:30:23 EST »

To be the head coach at Arkansas State.  Anyone else think this is strange.

I also read a tweet saying Trooper is gone if they sont make him the OC, which I think is quite possible.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:43:17 EST »

He followed the Richt Principle and didn't leave while he was a hot commodity. Last year he could have had Vandy with a five year contract. Dumb, dumb, dumb. People assume upward career trajectories are linear in perpetuity.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:55:04 EST »

He is from Arkansas. Likely wife wanted to go home. Not much pressure to win there either.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:58:09 EST »

I'm no Auburn hater but it's hard for me to look at that staff and think there wasn't some serious disharmony. A year after a NC run, their DC takes a step down to become the DC at UCF. Their OC takes a pay cut to become the HC at a lower tier school. And then there is our ol' buddy Trooper, who is doing the same thing he did at UT in 2008... give me the OC job (that I'm not qualified for) or I walk.

Then to add to the lunacy... my good buddy Clay Travis predicts that if Malzahn wins 10 games at Ark State he could be the next coach at UT. Dooley crashing and burning in 2012 is a forgone conclusion for him... he may be right about that, but Clay's repeated mantra is that Dooley doesn't have enough experience and they need a bigtime coach. Gus Malzahn does not fit that description. He is about to start his first year as a college head coach for God's sake.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:05:38 EST »

Someone - and I don't remember who - tweeted yesterday (maybe Feldman) that he was desperate to break into the head coaching ranks and couldn't get anyone else to give him a shot.

It's interesting that early in the season some folks from AUB were wanting Chizik to be fired so they could promote Malzhan before he got away. By the end of the season his star had faded so much that he had to jump at the lowly ArkSt opportunity before he became completely undesirable as an HC candidate.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:07:24 EST »

I'm no Auburn hater but it's hard for me to look at that staff and think there wasn't some serious disharmony. A year after a NC run, their DC takes a step down to become the DC at UCF. Their OC takes a pay cut to become the HC at a lower tier school.

If one were a conspiracy theory guy, one could conclude that the NCAA's chickens are about to come home to roost in the CamScam...

I'm not a conspiracy theory guy so I won't speculate to that effect... 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:04 EST »

The chickens are comin home to roost, Bobby Boucher!  You and your fancy foozball!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:03:38 EST »

Auburn's DC Roof wasn't too good. He should have been canned after last year, but the Malzahn move looks strange. Jonesville, AR isn't exactly a convenient waypoint on the way to bigger and better things.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:36:47 EST »

Auburn's DC Roof wasn't too good. He should have been canned after last year, but the Malzahn move looks strange. Jonesville, AR isn't exactly a convenient waypoint on the way to bigger and better things.

Agree about Roof if you only consider his move but if you put both moves together it seems strange.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:37:47 EST »

Someone - and I don't remember who - tweeted yesterday (maybe Feldman) that he was desperate to break into the head coaching ranks and couldn't get anyone else to give him a shot.

It's interesting that early in the season some folks from AUB were wanting Chizik to be fired so they could promote Malzhan before he got away. By the end of the season his star had faded so much that he had to jump at the lowly ArkSt opportunity before he became completely undesirable as an HC candidate.

Vandy offered him $3mm last year and he turned it down. Granted Vandy isn't a great job (no matter what that drizzle in Nashville is selling everybody) but Vandy is a better job than Arkansas State, especially at that kind of money.

RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:08 EST »

Did now Ole Miss Coach Freeze win the conference at ASU last year. I mean maybe he's looking to a job he can come in and win right away. Im glad he didn't end up going to Vandy lord know what happens if hes the HC this year.

GO VOLS! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: