VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 04:07:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, are we done? 21?  (Read 6837 times)
10EC
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:42:41 EST »

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:51:57 EST »

I would watch for them to sign players that got left out elsewhere and maybe the Cincy LB commit that is going to hold off and visit UT next week.

This is the problem with the 25 rule. They were holding spots for Kirven, Q Davis or Patterson, Leggett, and Peters. Peters ditched us and we went 1 for 4 on the others.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:11:45 EST »

Think this 25 rule will be brought up by the coaches to the SEC Commish as a silly rule?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:22:46 EST »

Think this 25 rule will be brought up by the coaches to the SEC Commish as a silly rule?

The coaches already fought it. The commish, ADs, and Presidents voted for it.

If the rest of the country doesn't adopt the same rule, the conference is going to be at a disadvantage. I'm surprised Slive doesn't see that.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:55 EST »

Because of this rule how many guys do you think will start signing after "signing day"?  You could pick up some really good guys if they get caught in a numbers game.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:57 EST »

Because of this rule how many guys do you think will start signing after "signing day"?  You could pick up some really good guys if they get caught in a numbers game.

I believe that starting next year the better players will commit earlier and you wont' see as much NSD drama, and any guys who are available after NSD will be middle of the pack players.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:23 EST »

I believe that starting next year the better players will commit earlier and you wont' see as much NSD drama, and any guys who are available after NSD will be middle of the pack players.

You don't think coaches will leave some pretty good guys at the altar on signing day?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:52:08 EST »

You don't think coaches will leave some pretty good guys at the altar on signing day?

Nope, I really don't.

This year Bammer didn't accept an LOI from a DE because of numbers and the fact that he probably needs to redshirt... and I think UT should get on him... but with the 2013 class being recruited under this rule from the time they hit their senior year, I think you will see staffs fill out classes quicker and kids commit quicker to make sure they have a spot.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:58:56 EST »

What was the reasoning behind this rule?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:01:30 EST »

What was the reasoning behind this rule?

To keep players from being asked to grayshirt after they had signed their LOI.

Just like what is happening to the kid at Bama.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:57 EST »

The side effects of this rule are numerous. I think some of the last minute problems this causes could be helped by adding an early signing period . . . then a school would at least know who they had completely in the bag and could focus their efforts on a smaller number of remaining scholarships.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:26 EST »

The side effects of this rule are numerous. I think some of the last minute problems this causes could be helped by adding an early signing period . . . then a school would at least know who they had completely in the bag and could focus their efforts on a smaller number of remaining scholarships.

Absolutely correct.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 11:52:24 EST »

Nope, I really don't.

This year Bammer didn't accept an LOI from a DE because of numbers and the fact that he probably needs to redshirt... and I think UT should get on him... but with the 2013 class being recruited under this rule from the time they hit their senior year, I think you will see staffs fill out classes quicker and kids commit quicker to make sure they have a spot.

Did I read that correctly?  Are you saying that a random SEC coach, we'll call him "Nick", can receive as many LOI's as he wants, pick out the best 25, declare that he "doesn't accept" the rest, and get around the 25 man limit?  Is the loophole really THAT big?

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58:47 EST »

Did I read that correctly?  Are you saying that a random SEC coach, we'll call him "Nick", can receive as many LOI's as he wants, pick out the best 25, declare that he "doesn't accept" the rest, and get around the 25 man limit?  Is the loophole really THAT big?

That's what I'm hearing.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:03 EST »

Here is how Saban is working it. http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/02/01/justin-taylor-safely-signed-with-kentucky-speaks-candidly-on-alabama/

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/alabama_commitment_darius_phil_1.html
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 09:23:40 EST »

Saban just gets scummier all the time.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: